585,687 active members*
4,951 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Output connections on a C11G- MULTIFUNCTION CNC BOARD

Output connections on a C11G- MULTIFUNCTION CNC BOARD

I have a few questions regarding the "C11G- MULTIFUNCTION CNC BOARD" http://cnc4pc.com/Tech_Docs/C11GR8_2_USER_MANUAL.pdf which I hope someone can answer for me.

My questions are:

1) Is this Break Out Board compatible with, Automation Technologies (KL-4030 Bipolar Stepper Motor Driver, 40VDC/3A) http://www.automationtechnologiesinc...030WithC10.pdf and http://www.automationtechnologiesinc...ls/KL-4030.pdf?

2) On the output side of the "C11G- MULTIFUNTCION CNC BOARD" the connections 1-9 also have a COM connection and the connections after are GND 14-16 GND 17, are the connections labeled as GND strictly grounds or are these connections switched to 5V along with the COM connections using the jumper?

I have built a CNC Router which is a 5 axis machine, I need 3 connections for each driver, one of which has to be a 5V connection, I see there are a total of 6 COM connections, if the GND connections are permanent grounds would I just use one of the other unused COM connections?

Would this be how to make the Output connections for the 5 axis:

Use all number connections 1-14, use all the COM connections except the one between 2-3 and use the COM connection between 8-9 for the needed 5V for the connection at numbers 9-14.

COM=5V

COM=5V

COM=5V

COM=5V

COM=5V

COM=5V

GND

GND

I hope I did not make this is not too confusing.

Thank you for your time and help,
    Craig

I don't actually have one of these, so this is just a guess.

It looks like your plan makes sense. 5 volts is 5 volts, no matter which terminal you take it from. If a terminal is marked "GND" then I would tend to believe that it is solidly connected to GND and is not switched by the COM jumper.

It also looks like the board should be compatible with the KL-4030.

What I don't know (and you might want to research) is why the simplified circuitry for pins 2-9 differs from that of the others (unless I'm missing something, it looks like the difference amounts to a small-value inline resistor), and whether all of the parallel port pins that you plan to use will be able to work identically, or whether there could be subtle differences that could throw in a monkey wrench. Maybe someone who knows the answer will chime in.

Thank you for your response dorknob. I am not too knowledgeable when it comes to things like resistors, capacitors, relays and most other electronic components. I do however know how to read a basic schematic for wiring and connections so like you said, maybe someone who knows the answer will chime in.