585,749 active members*
3,784 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Null Modem Question

I am new to this stuff, so please bear with me. I am working with a Siemens 840C control that has a 25 pin port on it. I have a 9 pin to 25 pin cable to hook up to my laptop. I've used this same laptop to transfer programs to a Mazatrol control, but I have to use an adapter with the cable. The adapter says "Null Modem (full handshake)" on it and has a pin diagram. It is 25 pin male-female.

In my research about the Siemens control, I found some pin diagrams that say "Null modem cable, with/without full handshake, etc." What I'm assuming is that the adapter I have is exclusive to the Mazatrol control, and that I'll have to get a different one for the Siemens. This leads me to my second question: How do I obtain a null modem adapter or cable that has the correct pin configuration on it? Is this something I can purchase or do I have to make it? Or, is this a standardized thing across the board? Any info would be great, since the more information I'm finding on my own is just confusing me more.

I think the adaptor you have takes a 'straight through' type cable and set the pins for null modem use together with hardware handshake signals,
    You will need a null modem cable for the Siemens so the adaptor should work.
    This link explains the conections a bit more in detail.
    http://www.cadem.com/ncnet/dnc-detai...merik-802d.pdf
    With full handshake usually all the handshake connections are made across the cable, with no handshake they are usually jumpered out inside the connector.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Al_The_Man is right. The null modem adapter you use with the Mazatrol should work on the Siemens too.

I tried it and it does work with the Siemens. Thanks for the info.