585,981 active members*
4,269 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Mazak VMC

Mazak VMC

What is Mazak's modern equivalent to the Duravertical 5100?

Why, don't like Mori any longer?

? Liking mori doesn't mean I can't like others. Not married to any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill3D View Post
    ? Liking mori doesn't mean I can't like others. Not married to any of them.
    Well said... :cheers:

Not sure how the construction is on the Mori you're comparing but I would say if it's a C-frame type, a VCN510 is in this range.
    If it's a dual column type, then a FJV250 .... (not sure that mori makes a dual column vertical at this size though... )

And like Mori (but not as convuluted), the Mazak verticals have a number of configurations to look over within this model type....
    It's just a part..... cutter still goes round and round....

Thanks, that looks like a match. The c-frame is what we are looking at. I saw the Smart series but was told that was not their top end.

Dura is also not the top of the line, in fact it's about the lowest one.....nothing wrong with them, just sayin.

There is an ecoline with the dura name and there is the California made Dura 5100. I know the 5100 is not the NV series. But it seemed like the 5100 California made dura is the best mori in the c-frame 40 taper arena. I might be wrong about this. We can't even seem to get ballpark pricing out of the distributor so it's falling out of consideration. Seems like only HAAS knows the price of their own stuff and makes the info readily available.

As far as I know, the Dura 5100/5080 is still made in Japan. The only machine i'm aware of made here is a 400mm horizontal (supposed to take a trip to the new factory). The Dura 5100/5080/5060 was supposed to be discontinued over a year ago, so im not sure the stealer can even get them any longer, although a lot of pressure was put on Mori to keep them. The NV is the higher end, with higher speed, power, and options. The replacement for the Dura's is the NVX, but its more expensive and box way. The main reason HAAS can/will publish pricing is because they make them here, the other Japanese companies have to deal with exchange rates, so prices fluctuate making it hard to publish. I'd just stay away from the ECO-line for now, i have no first hand with them, but from what i here from service techs, they are not as smooth as the "real" Mori's. From the limited time ive had with the new Mazak's, you can have them. Lots of other machines i personally think are built better...

I'm not even holding them to their price but would like to get a feel for about what it is. Their dealer said the 5100 was being made in California but I can't be sure they know. I'd be happy if it is made in Japan. Not so big on China (ecoline). I'm just doing the research now and we have no plans until after the next IMTS. Hopefully i'll have better questions for them all by then. Mazak isn't that far away. So that seemed like a plus.

Well, no surprise i was wrong. Dura Vertical 5100 is made in the USA now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dv5100.jpg  

Looks to be a California price tag as well.

Just got off the phone. They are assembled here from parts from Japan. Won't actually be "made" here till Aug sometime. According to our rep, price has remained about the same since our last purchase of a couple of them. I hope you weren't expecting HAAS pricing on a Mori....they have never been a cheap machine.

No but didn't expect $60,000 over. That was what I thought the NV price range would be.

Last time I did a comparison with a 40X20 HAAS, adding all the options on a HAAS to equal what the Dura came with, we came out at 30K each more for the Moris. The difference was Mori had standard options not even available with HAAS, and nothing against HAAS, the Mori runs MUCH smoother, and holds better accuracy. Those were very important features we needed. We have an old Mazak mill, its a wonderful machine, however our latest turning center is not up to the same quality for sure. The other machines that were in the running was Okuma and Makino. Makino was too production based for our needs, and for some reason Okuma wouldn't give us accuracy specs.

Yes, I added all the options to the HAAS and it was under 100,000. Around 30,000 more is about what I had expected for the Mori Duraverical based on internet chatter. But it was twice that.

Thats pretty high for a Dura.. Ours were heavily optioned and not that high. If I remember right, with all the options we were well under 145K each. Think option total alone was 10K. They must have ran the price up, or your stealer is marking them up a lot.

We had talked about a mill/turn before. Maybe they think we are made of money. But that talk was based on having heard a really low price at IMTS that got my excitment up. Plus the thinking we would eventually need to replace our CNC Lathe and thus should also add capability. That thinking changed. I thought they may have mixed up the Dura the NVX prices as I initially asked about the NVX. Although the quote clearly says Mori Seiki DuraVertical 5100. It is wired for (but does not include) a fourth axis. I'll take this quote over to them at Inovation days or IMTS and have them explain it to me.

I will recommend if you are going 4th axis, the ddrt table from mori is a super nice table. The machine would need to be ordered with the ddrt 4th interface. We got stuck on a NVD with that, ordered a 4th interface to find out later it's a standard interface. The interface and wiring usually has a drive unit and all the connectors, and is about 6-8k option.