584,858 active members*
4,267 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Autocon Controller W/whitney 647d

Hi,
    I'm trying to find someone familiar with autocon controllers--I have a whitney 647d that has been retrofitted with an autocon controller.The controller is capable of much more than the machine and we're having problems using this controller and operating our whitney.If anyone knows anything helpful please set me in the right direction.THANKS!

Jsasker,

I can probably help you out, but I'll need to know what model control it is you have.

Scott

The controller is a DYNAPATH DELTA 30P--If you can tell me how to access the parameters then i can at least start making changes,hopefully for the better!

Here's how to access the parameters:

1. Turn off the control power, then turn it back on.

2. After the control boots up, turn on the parameter edit switch that's on the front of the control. This switch is right on the cnc computer itself and not on the machine control panel.

3. Press the 'P' key on the keyboard.

At this point you should get the parameter edit screen.

If you don't mind me being nosy, what is it you are trying to change? This is a punch control isn't it?

HTH,
    Scott

The problem we are having is that we bought this machine after it was retrofitted with the autocon controller.We have been trying to get post processors to write programs with no success whatsoever--we bought the we-cim programming software and they have pretty much given up on our problem as well--all we hear from them are a bunch of empty promises with no results!We can't get the machine to do hardly anything and i thought maybe the parameters would be a place to start troubleshooting--we're getting to the point where we NEED this machine going.To answer your ? this controller is capable of milling and lathe work also--it has way more than we need to run the WHITNEY which is only a punch/plasma.

Jsasker,

Do you have any documentation on this machine from the retrofitter? Do you have the programming manual from Autocon? I don't think that fiddling with the parameters is going to help you unless the retrofitters did a really poor job.
    Do you just need to figure out how to control the machines functions or do you need to know how to format the part programs?
    Worst case scenario, you would have to extract the parameter and PLC data from the control and reverse-engineer how the retrofitter set up the control (I can help you with this if it comes to it.)
    But if you just need help with formatting the program, here's some samples:

This is how a program would be formatted if you are trying to load it into the control's catalog. The part ID is eight characters and enclosed in parentheses. There must be an EOB character "$" at the end of each conversational block.
    (PARTID )
    N1(9)M6T1$
    N2M3S1000 <--- this would not be considered a "conversational" block
    N3(0)X0Y0Z1.0$
    N4(1)X1F25$
    N5(9)M30$
    E

If you are running in buffered input mode, the control is less picky about the format. You do not need the part ID as the first line and you don't need the EOB character.

How are loading programs into the control? Does it have a floppy drive or are you using the RS232 port?

HTH,
    Scott

Scott,
    it's obvious you know what you're talking about!Finally,someone that actually knows something about this problem.We are trying to set up the control.The first problem is that the repo in "Y" distance is pre-set in the parameters and has an automatic shut-off that is a problem for us and we want to take that out.The second problem is the feedrate--we can't change it and it is set REALLY slow!These are just a couple of the more irritating problems we're having right now.Thanks for taking the time to help!I really appreciate it!

Jsasker,

I'm afraid I don't know what the "repo" distance is. At what point in the program is this ocurring? And what is shutting off automatically?
    As far as the feedrate goes, this may be limited by the drives/motors that are on the machine. If possible, check the motors for a label and see if there is an RPM rating on them. Then see if you can determine how many revolutions of the motor there are per inch. Then divide the motor RPM by the revs/inch and that will tell you the maximum feedrate that axis can go.
    Also, there is a parameter that can limit the jog rate until the machine has been referenced. Do you reference zero the machine when you start it up?
    I could probably tell you a lot more if I had the PLC and parameter data from the control, plus wiring diagrams of the I/O would be helpful. If you like, extract these files and e-mail them to me and I will take a look at them.
    If you need more urgent help, you can contact the company I work for, Eagle Machine Tool. Check out http://members.aol.com/eagle1cnc for contact info. Ted is the owner, talk to him first and let him know what you need and he will put you through to myself or one of the other guys.

Scott