585,954 active members*
4,650 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > rs232 file tranfer speeds with a mb19

rs232 file tranfer speeds with a mb19

I have successfully set up a rs232 link with my mb19 and have been sending files back an forth with Expert DNC witch comes free with Visual Mill. I have set it up with the parity settings in my manual, but it says 9600 baud. The files transfer extremely slowly, like only 300 lines per minute. It works reliably, but it takes longer to upload most files than it does to cut them. I tried faster speeds, but the mill gave me an error of wrong parity, then the control software crashed back to dos. Any one have any ideas how to speed up the file transfer process?

Secondly, I have been looking in my black box, is there an ide connection on the main board, I havent had any luck in finding it? I did find an un- connected eithernet port, has anyone had luck with using it? I need to find a better way to transfer large files.

Quote Originally Posted by patanke
    I have successfully set up a rs232 link with my mb19 and have been sending files back an forth with Expert DNC witch comes free with Visual Mill. I have set it up with the parity settings in my manual, but it says 9600 baud. The files transfer extremely slowly, like only 300 lines per minute. It works reliably, but it takes longer to upload most files than it does to cut them. I tried faster speeds, but the mill gave me an error of wrong parity, then the control software crashed back to dos. Any one have any ideas how to speed up the file transfer process?

Secondly, I have been looking in my black box, is there an ide connection on the main board, I havent had any luck in finding it? I did find an un- connected eithernet port, has anyone had luck with using it? I need to find a better way to transfer large files.

this is not what you you want to hear im sure but.. i have a rh30 machine with a centurion 6 controller and used the rs232 for about 3 yrs (lighting struck the building and now rs232 doesnt work) you have to change the baud rate on the machine and the computer to the same setting. As for the ethernet connection, we have tried to make this work with no success. the drivers for dos-to-windows network are to large for the machine to run and also be connected. there is however a parellel port on a little card right next to the motherboard that we commected a "super disk"(120mb) drive to and that solved the load time and size problems we had

by the way i have to appologize about my grammer, spelling and other mistakes i make, english was never a good subject haha

You must change the baud in the cnc and p.c.
    you can go up to 19200 with cables shorter than 75 feet.
    your other option is to DNC the file over the rs232 so you are not loosing time for it to load you can be cutting.

The network can be added in the field. if the machine is new enough

060222-2145 EST USA

patanke:

I do not know anything about your machine. However, part of our business is related to RS232, Isolation (protection up to 2000 V), High baud rate (115.2 kbaud), and long cable length at this high baud rate (4000 ft).

Some general information:

1. You must be set to the same baud rate at both the source and destination.

2. I suggest you use EVEN parity. You must have EVEN set at both ends.

3. If possible use one stop bit. The number of stop bits must be set the same at both ends.

4. Do not use NO handshake. Generally the simplest handshake is software from the standpoint of the number of wires. Both ends must be set to the same kind of handshake. Sometimes this simple statement is not valid.

5. If you are running Windows make sure the UART FIFO (buffer) is set to disabled or minimum for data sent to the CNC.

6. Your CNC may have a maximum baud rate below 115.2 kbaud. If this maximum is too low, then may be you want to drip feed as was mentioned above.

See our web site at www.beta-a2.com .

I have used the rs232 connection for a while but gave it up for the Ethernet. It was too slow. To get the Ethernet to work it is best to use a connection to a PC that has an Ethernet card dedicated to just the Mill. Therefore, I have two Ethernet cards in that PC. The cable to the mill is of course one of those with the reversed wires (I forget what they are called) so I do not need a hub. That PC is win2000 and I do not use it for anything else but to get my mill on the network.

Once you have this setup it is super to use. I never use any of the storage in my mill, even though I put a HD in it too. You just go to menu and there is a drive selection button. That takes me to the menu on the PC's drive! From that point everything is the same as if you were using storage in the mill.

The settings for the card and the memory needed are high. I added 16Mb of memory to my mill (VM-15) and it will load into memory about a 10MB g-code file.

The tech support at milltronics was very helpful. I will help you too if I can.

My Mill has the gray case with a 486DX2 motherboard. It had a PCI slot that I used for the Ethernet card but I bet if you have an Ethernet port you can get it to work.

There is a package from milltronics parts that you can get too but it is $$$. I never used any of there parts, it is just a plain jane PC running DOS.

Cheers
    Dave

I have been able to slightly increase my rs232 speeds, thankyou!, When I get a little time on the mill I will try the ethernet port. Thank you for the help!