585,982 active members*
4,563 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Mini Lathe > Light machines spectra light windows software

Light machines spectra light windows software

I am new to this forum. I recently bought both a Spectra light mill and lathe. They have controller boxes with each unit as well as all the cables and two dongles. I would lilt to get these running on Windows software like Mach III. I notice that each unit not only has the parallel cable but also an rs232 cable. The computers that came with these units have rs232 cards marked for the second cable. What is that for? Stepper speed? Spindle speed? Will Mach III drive the controller using only the parallel port?

Any information would be very appreciated! Remember I have never run a cnc machine before. I understand the basics of sending G code to a controller that then drives the stepper motors for position.

Many thanks!

John

This is a common problem and not easily answered. Do you have the software from Light Machines/Intellitek? If so Mach 3 will not be needed. If Mach 3 is to be used then quite a few changes would need to be made to the existing electronics. I was in the same boat as you a few years back but had no dongles or software. I built a Hobby Cnc Pro controller from a kit and it worked well. I did end up changing the steppers that came on the mill and lathe. I used Nema 23's again from Hobby Cnc, stepper mounts from Sherline (with thrust bearings, not washers) and also the Sherline couplers.

I just post how to retrofit this machines in case that some one is interested is a lot of this machines out there and are build good here is the post.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bencht...ml#post1304282

I have a Prolight 3000 lathe and ended up replacing the old drivers with new stepper drives and a breakout board. This way I can run Mach or any other parallel port controller software instead of the original inteletek software. Just let me know if you want to see any pictures of my machine and the new control box.

Dale P.

Hi,go to the listing of the retrofit and seed if is the same controller ,if is not you can try to send me pictures but will be hard to let you know how to retrofit by pictures but may be possible most of the controllers are based in the same principle components L297 chip ,so should be straight forward ,let me know if I can help on anything

I recently acquired one of these mills with the original computer and control box. The computers main board is shot, looks like it was left rotting in a barn for years. The control box and machine appear to be in excellent shape. What are my current options to get her up and running ? Is the retrofit shown here the only way to make it run on a current windows based system with mach software ? Is it possible to purchase a newer control box that would be compatible with driving the machine ? I have a fully licensed version of gibbs 2010 with post files for several types of light machines. Is it possible to use that with some sort up upgraded or modern control box ?
    I'm a 10 year machinist/programmer and spent the past two as a 5 axis CAM/Macro programmer so I'm well rounded in the modern machining world, I just don't have much experience in "ancient artifacts"

Hi,I would say you have a few options but for me the easy way is just to follow my how to retrofit this original box the controller ,follow the link below ,the other is to change the drivers for something like geckos and maybe motors ,I know how to retrofit the units but i never learned to program or cut parts ,I know how to load codes to mach and test a machine but that all ,I hope I help A little ,here is the link to the retrofit http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bencht...ml#post1304282