585,585 active members*
4,072 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > My motor cable was cut by the rack and pinion

My motor cable was cut by the rack and pinion

I tan over the cable going to the y axis, it sparked and all the gecko drives quite working- no lights on them.
    I shut off the cnc and unplugged the bad cable , still all the gecko drives are dead.
    Could something be causing them not to get power or would all 5 drives be ruined
    I just don't see how all of the drives would be ruined.Don;t know what else to look for the power supply comes on and there is lights on the pmdx breakout board the router turns on when I push the f5 keyso it seems like the bob and power supply are good.

Any suggestions?

the drives are gecko201x

Thanks

Are you sure that the motor power supply is turning on? Can you measure the motor voltage with a multimeter?

Could you have blown a fuse, either in the motor power supply primary (AC) line, or a fuse inline with the motor power supply output ahead of the gecko drives?

no the fuse in the power supply is ok and there isn't any fuses between the power supply and gecko's .Gecko drive website says not to put a fuse on the dc side of the power supply,
    It doesn't seem like a short from running over the cable would affect all 5 drives?

Have you removed the g201 from the y-axis position as well ?

I just removed it and now the other 3 are working again!
    Do you know of any way to fix the drive,other than sending it back to gecko, I need to cut some cabinet parts before Monday.
    Thanks for your help,
    Mike

If diagnosis cannot be done properly, returning it to Gecko is your only option.

To repair you need a skilled electronics tech with test gear, tools and circuit diagram at hand. Any TV repair shops (or similar) in your area you could call? Replacement parts would be the next issue.

- - - Updated - - -

If diagnosis cannot be done properly, returning it to Gecko is your only option.

To repair you need a skilled electronics tech with test gear, tools and circuit diagram at hand. Any TV repair shops (or similar) in your area you could call? Replacement parts would be the next issue.

Use a tester and check for continuity between the red wire going into the gecko drive and any good ground. If you have continuity then it could be fried. I had two burn out from lighting storm and the last was five years old and died of old age. I don't know if you could get a power surge that would burn out all five at once but who knows. Test them like I said and see what happens. Hope this was some help,,,,,,,,,CURLY