585,994 active members*
5,006 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > g540 blinking fault light.

g540 blinking fault light.

I was running a cut program and noticed it had gone into emergancy mode active. When I checked the back of the controller the fault light and all the lights by the individual axis connections are blinking red. Have I shorted something out?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8ZUcOn-22k

CHecked the emergancy Estop button, checked the power supply for voltage, pulled the motor connectors off and re plugged them back in. 2 days later I walk out to the shop and turn it on to and it works. fault light is back to green and the axis lights are solid red. Im running a cut program on it now. No Idea what caused it. I will probably pull it and send it back for inspection. The box and the back of the controller were not hot to the touch when it did it either.

The program did not cut properly, shortly after starting the A axis stopped working. The A drive motor just grunts but doesnt turn. Swapped out motors with a spare same results. Switched the A and X axis plugs on the controller and the X axis motor grunts and the A axis spins as it should.

It sounds like a shorted motor wire.
    Try a new cable.
    Lee

Not a cable at all. when i switched motors the first time on the A axis I used a different cable. And when I switched the X and A axis plugs at the controller the x axis then growled instead of turning and its a different wire than the A axis wire.

Do you have the pins all set the same way? Active high or low, I don't recall which it should be. Growling still sounds like s shorted motor wire somewhere. It could be in the drive itself, but you will have to let us know what you have tried and checked.
    Lee

I have been cutting on this machine and controller for far more than a year. It ran fine for over 6 hours the day before on a 4 axis cut program. Because i can take the A axis cable and swap it with the X axis cable. THen activate the x axis drive which is now driving the A motor with the keyboard and the A motor turns fine with no growling and activating the a drive which is now driving the X motor and the motor growls its not the cables. I have contacted gecko and will be shipping it back. i will let you know what they say. I have talked with Jeff Birt who built the controler and he has indicated he had this happen one other time right out of the box.

That was a detail I wasn't aware of. Loose wires, pins and intermittent shorts are usually found during new or used installations. You have been using this awhile, so pretty much dismisses loose connections etc. I did kill one of my 540's. I was using a lower quality switch that failed and shorted out. Bad news for the 540. The good news is that Gecko repaired it free of charge. They will probably give you a fast turn around on it and treat you the same way. They do that for most guys.
    I keep a spare 540 on hand just in case. I can't have that kind of down time for one thing and it certainly makes trouble shooting a lot easier.
    Good luck with it.
    Oh and I have never seen them flash like that. I have seen the LED either green or red, but never flashing. That probably indicates a fault somewhere in the drive.
    Lee

My fault I should have mentioned it was not new install. I have opened two g540s (I have another that had issues with the Y axis I have that needed repair that I havent yet sent in) and replaced the A drive module,( If that is the correct term) with an X drive module. Since I dont know the age of the other g540 I was told to use the X unit. It is now up and running and cutting a rotary cut program of the piece that it was supposed to be cutting when it failed. No excessive heat felt on the back of the controller or the A axis motor. We are 21 minutes into the program and it has rotated 185 degrees. The actual cut seems to match the program. I will know when it finishes if its right.

Excellent. Now send that other one in quickly.
    Lee

Your power supply is cycling on and off. There is nothing in the G540 that can blink the LEDs.

Mariss