585,602 active members*
3,598 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

First MDF build/ help me along the way

Ok to start out I want to build a smaller machine that will go in my office/work room. I already have a rail and some 8mm rod with linear bearings for it. I also have a couple aluminum extrusions that I might could use and 2 acme threaded rod with delrin nuts. I will take a pic of all that I have to use so far when I get home from work.

All of the stuff I have to use so far is from a 3d printer that I upgraded. So from that I have 3 or 4 nema 17 steppers these would be underpowered for this project wouldn't they be?

Thanks for looking and any help that is given there are a ton of inspiring builds on here

I will have more questions once I get home and can get on my computer.

Ok so here is a pic of my 3d printer just to show it
    Attachment 195492

Next I have 9 608zz bearings 8 self aligning brass sleaves 12 8mm linear bearings and 2 8mm rods at 17.5" long
    Attachment 195494
    Attachment 195496

I have 2 acme lead screws with 2 delrin nuts that have about a foot of travle.
    Attachment 195498

I also have a rail and carige
    Attachment 195500

Lastly I have theis small 20mmX20mm aluminum extrusions 3 at 16.5" and 2 at about 11.75"
    Attachment 195502

So I was thinking either use the rail and carige for the x axis but I am thinking I want 2' of travle instead of 16". But I starting to like the idea of a narow gantry mill. What do yall think?
    With the 8mm rods liniar bearings and one of the acme threads and nuts for the zaxis motion. Do yall think the 8mm rods will flex to much?
    Im not sure how I want to do the y axis I would like about 3 foot of travle so I was thinking using cold roll steal and bearings or buying some rails and cariges any suggestions? I want to be able to do some precice routing/carving on this machine.

Anybody have any answers for my questions or suggestions

So what do I need to do to get answes help and sugestions? Make multipul threads? I though doing it this way might keep from littering the forum and make it easy to find info once a question is answered or suggestions/tips given

Quote Originally Posted by jparks View Post
    So what do I need to do to get answes help and sugestions? Make multipul threads? I though doing it this way might keep from littering the forum and make it easy to find info once a question is answered or suggestions/tips given
    Without knowing what the cutter will be, for most build 8mm is too small. 16mm supported rail is for medium cutting duty. Perhaps we should start there. What do you plan on cutting (wood, aluminum, PCB) at what performance. IPM?

Quote Originally Posted by jckstrthmghty View Post
    Without knowing what the cutter will be, for most build 8mm is too small. 16mm supported rail is for medium cutting duty. Perhaps we should start there. What do you plan on cutting (wood, aluminum, PCB) at what performance. IPM?
    I figured they might be alittle small. Mainly woods and plastics would like to do aluminum too but will not sacrifice wood and plastic performance . I'd like it to move quickly but it all depends on what I can afford I'm looking at the gecko 4 axis driver and 3 I their nema 23s for a driver. I have no idea what router/spindle to get iv seen a few builds on here use a dewalt that sounded like it was doing a good job.

Thanks for the response

Here is a doodle of what I want to build

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1376604326814.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	196262

ok where to start?

Electronics. Yup the g540 from gecko is the way to go. Pair that up with some 381oz nema23's and it's gold.

ok fast. Not sure what you planned for the drive mechanizsm but 1/2-10 5 start is a popular choice. Probably get +300ipm. Don't bother anything single start.

Cutting aluminum should be ok with multiple passes and the cutting speed slowed down.

You're build is similar to the JGRO in terms of the cutting bed and gantry. I can tell you from experience this is not the way to go. The cutting bed will be a source of deflection. Better if you create a single torsion box that will hold your rails on the side and act at the cutting bed. Take a look at the joes2006 build for a mdf example. The CNCRP versions are a good example of how it's done right.

The router choice depends on what you are cutting. Most 1hp/trim routers will do just fine. Loud. I switched from a router to a cheap spindle/vfd setup and it's an amazing difference.

ok where to start?

Electronics. Yup the g540 from gecko is the way to go. Pair that up with some 381oz nema23's and it's gold.

ok fast. Not sure what you planned for the drive mechanizsm but 1/2-10 5 start is a popular choice. Probably get +300ipm. Don't bother anything single start.

Cutting aluminum should be ok with multiple passes with the cutting speed slowed down.

You're build is similar to the JGRO in terms of the cutting bed and gantry. I can tell you from experience this is not the way to go. The cutting bed will be a source of deflection. Better if you create a single torsion box that will hold your rails on the side and act at the cutting bed. Take a look at the joes2006 build for a mdf example. The CNCRP versions are a good example of how it's done right.

The router choice depends on what you are cutting. Most 1hp/trim routers will do just fine. Loud. I switched from a router to a cheap spindle/vfd setup and it's an amazing difference.
    I was woried about deflection in the bed and have a few other. One of them isvalot like JGRO as in it is its own table. But I still would like to build it as a tabletop machine. I will put together some more drawings of other ideas soon.

Havnt looked at drive mechanisms and not quite sure what you are talking about could you explain?

G540 and nema 23 is what I plan on getting.

How much was the cheap spindle? I would really like to do a spendle but they all have been costly that I have seen but I havnt looked much.

Drive mechanism as in leadscrew, chain, belt, rack and pinion or whatever. The means to which you plan to move your axis's.

What is the planned cutting area of your build? I know you mentioned 24" on one of the axis.

A spindle will be much more expensive over a router. You would need the spindle, mine was $150, a vfd, shielded motor cable, and a cooling solution if the spindle is water cooled. This cost me around $450 in total. Pricey but far better than any wood router ever hope to be.

I was woried about deflection in the bed and have a few other designs. One of them is alot like JGRO as in it is its own table. But I still would like to build it as a tabletop machine. I will put together some more drawings of other ideas soon.

Haven't looked at drive mechanisms and not quite sure what you are talking about could you explain?

G540 and nema 23 is what I plan on getting.

How much was the cheap spindle? I would really like to do a spendle but they all have been costly that I have seen but I havnt looked much.

Ok that's what I thought ill either do a lead screw or a ball screw i really like a ball screw and I'm willing to pay for it.

As for by build area I'm thinking Around the size of 2'x3'

450 total for a spindle and vfd I'd be willing to spend that we're did you get that all the spindles I have seen have been 250+ for just the spindle.

I drew up a new bed not sure if I should use one or two rails on each side.

So im really starting to think I should just build joes2006 and buy a kit from him than after I have my own router running I can use it to try my own designs

So im really starting to think I should just build joes2006 and buy a kit from him than after I have my own router running I can use it to try my own designs
    Would be a lot easier and the build is well documented. It's what I have. I do plan on upgrading as mdf can only do so much but for the meantime I'm having a lot of fun with my joes.

Would be a lot easier and the build is well documented. It's what I have. I do plan on upgrading as mdf can only do so much but for the meantime I'm having a lot of fun with my joes.
    Ya looking at joes build and every one else's build of it it looks like a good place to start. Also looks like a cheaper option than using rails too and not so much trial and error

As for by build area I'm thinking Around the size of 2'x3'
    For an area that size, I would suggest laminated hard wood or 80/20 extrusions. That will allow you the rigidity to cut aluminum, and deeper in woods!
    Ball screws are excellent, but make sure they have zero-backlash nuts.
    If the base frame is strong, you can use MDF in other areas.
    So just build one, you will learn so much that the next will be even better
    Widgit
    www.widgitmaster.com
    It's not what you take away, it's what you are left with that counts!

Quote Originally Posted by widgitmaster View Post
    For an area that size, I would suggest laminated hard wood or 80/20 extrusions. That will allow you the rigidity to cut aluminum, and deeper in woods!
    Ball screws are excellent, but make sure they have zero-backlash nuts.
    If the base frame is strong, you can use MDF in other areas.
    So just build one, you will learn so much that the next will be even better
    Widgit
    Ill have to look more into all of that and get some money set aside I do like the idea of aluminum extrusions they are nice to work with. Btw iv been following your curent build and its amazing.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 4

Having built a self designed machine and then upgraded it a number of times, and it still not being great, I'd recommend going with a proven design. Let someone else waste time and money with something that doesn't work very well.
    The CNC router parts machines are great from all reports.
    7xCNC.com - CNC info for the minilathe (7x10, 7x12, 7x14, 7x16)

You might also consider the plans for a Solsylva.

I think im going to stick with joes 2006 this time. That dose look like a good machine though.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 4

I think im going to stick with joes 2006 this time. That dose look like a good machine though.
    I considered a Joes 2006 but I had no confidence that I could make the parts accurately without a CNC. I didn't want to buy all of the parts pre-made so I figured I'd build a Solsylva to cut out the parts to make a Joes. I got the Solsylva done and have spent so much time doing upgrades to it, that I believe it to be much better than a Joes 2006 could ever be.

The good thing about the Joes 2006, is there are a lot more people who have built one and much more support for it. Personally, I'd forgo the MDF and use a good birch ply. I may build one in the future just because that was the original plan and I do like the platform style, even though it would not be near as rigid as my current machine.

You might also consider the Grunblau plans. If I was just discovering DIY CNC, that's what I'd go with.

Feel free to check out my build thread, and good luck with your build.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc_wo...lva_build.html

Page 1 of 2 12