585,982 active members*
4,500 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Rhino 3D > Irregula Guitar Surface on Rhino

Irregula Guitar Surface on Rhino

hello, how can I do to make an irregular surface from a dxf file in rhino? al alreadi have the outline of the guitar in correct proportions, y can make a solid but with a plane top and I wonnit irregular, if I makeit plane I will have to fini**** manually and I don't wont that.

there is any special tool for this? some one can explainme step by step?

thankes

NCN do you have a photo of the guitar? It would help if we knew what you are looking for as far as shape.

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

the first image is what I have in autoCAD, the other are regular LesPauls, isn't esy to see the form, at the center of the guitar is the hiest point ans in the border is the lowest part
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Guitar.jpg   00-Les-Paul-58-Black-001.jpg   gib-lp-colour-3.jpg   mk.les.paul.jpg  

I don't use Rhino much, but you need to draw the profile curves to create the surfaces you want. Try to find some Rhino tutorials that explain how to create surfaces. The .dxf you have will just give you the perimeter, and you may need to redraw it in Rhino too work correctly. There is no simple way to just convert your .dxf to a 3D model. It's going to take some work.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

the ptoblem is than the final result is a plane surface no with the form of the top of the guitar, I want a surface more similar to the realone

NCN go to this thread and scroll down the page to my post that has a zip file. It is a double cut LesPaul but will help you a ton.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...3&page=8&pp=20

This same thread has quite a bit of discussion about building a LP but not a lot of direct instruction like you need.

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

yes, I have read that, but I wanna Know how to doit by miself

Hello NCN,I am in th same boat as you but comming along slowly.If you can get a hold of the guitar like the les paul takea good look at it from different angles and study the surface to see how it looks.You have your outline already and that is a good start.You will want to put the outline on a seperate layer,I believe you can do that.from where the neck joins the body there is a 3 degree slope going towards the center of the body in the direction to the end of the guitar,that slope is about 3 inches long.So lets say your slope starts at Z.25 draw a point,at three inches from there draw a point at Z.4375,then at 7 3/8 inches from the start draw a point Z .6250,at 12 inches from the start draw a point Z.3750,then at 14 1/2 inches draw a point Z.3125,then at 17 1/4 inches from the start draw a point Z.25 .If you connect these points you should end up with a center surface line from front to back.If you make this line in the X direction wich it should be ,you can offset it to the left and right in the -Y and +Y directions at 1 inch intervals to get a grid going which you can place more points on and give them different Z levels to achieve the surfaces going to the outside of the body outline.I hope I,ve been some help,cheers.

als if you need a picture of the profile I can send you one

also forgot to mention that your guitar top will be Z.25 all around at the edges

providing the total thickness of your top is .75, man I,m loosing it

heres a few pics of a test on some pine
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails _0012.jpg   _0010.jpg   _0009.jpg  

HEy COrrie, that's an interesting top carve. Can you send me the drawing for it?

Ed this was a test carve on some pine wood to get elevation marks to make a drawing in Rihno and I myself am new to cadcam,sorry no drawing,not yet anyway,cheers.

AH, I get it, you're doing a point cloud?

very good job, I have some results with rhino, just I make 3 outines but one smaller than the other at diferent distance from the base and then I make a surface folowing that lines, is not perfec but is very close