584,800 active members*
4,344 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Topdeck's 3D Printer (DIY build and more)

Figured I should start my own thread on this one... :wave:

So I decided to build a 3d printer after seeing Hoss's latest. Nice wide area, easily expandable, more than just bolts and rods, and it seemed worthwhile.
    A ton of ebaying later and some small mistakes here and there and I've got some progress and I'll do my best to keep this updated and share my trial and tribulation.

Specifications!
    500mm 12mm shafts on the X/Y, so hopefully will get ~14" of travel here and there.
    23.75" 16mm shafts on the Z, huge and beefy.
    Bearings in aluminum pillow blocks.
    MDF brackets for now, to be replaced by aluminum at some point. (That way I can messup now and have a nice looking setup at the end)
    RAMPS board, 65oz steppers, 55oz on the extruder.
    Wades extruder purchased off ebay.
    J-Head
    ACME 1/2" with delrin nut (2X) on the Z axis. This is a bit more beefy than most I think, but they can be gotten for cheap on ebay and I like the option to reuse later. These have had machining down on both ends to take a bearing, and a 6.35mm shaft on the end (1/4").
    And I'm stuck waiting on the couplers for that ACME to the steppers. But still more work to do anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Framing
    Attachment 182093

Extruder
    Attachment 182094

Attachment 182095

I forgot my helping hands at home for soldering... So had to make do.
    I also forgot my heatgun. Doing one of these builds with minimal tools in your apartment instead of your workshop can be tough.
    Attachment 182096

Wiring basics done, soldered and heatshrinked, then twisted with a drill.
    Attachment 182097

- - - Updated - - -

Y rails lined up and bolted down.
    Attachment 182098

Some more of the upcoming gear and how narrow I am in terms of space.
    Attachment 182099

Not the final platform obviously, might even have more travel than what I have here, but it was the last bit of the MDF after cutting out the brackets and such.
    So we shall see. I bolted down one side, kept the other loose, did a few swipes back and forth, bolted down the bearing blocks, then a few more passes to show it wasn't binding, then bolted down the last shaft holder.
    Attachment 182100

The Y stepper "bracket". A little trial and error on this one because the measurements aren't easy when the bolt pattern is in metric and you only have an imperial ruler and no caliper with you.... Used a combo of a nut under and washer-bolt above to give the space riser for the circle on the front of the steppers. And a 5/16" washer below the GT2 'gear' on top to reduce friction.
    Attachment 182101

The opposite side with the bearing is a bit different. There is an MDF cut underneath and above, both bolted to the extrusion. Then a 5/16" bolt through both, nuts to clamp it apart/together at the right distance. On top a combination of washers and a bearing lets the bearing really spin very freely. Came out nice and will repeat this for the X in some semblance.
    Attachment 182102

- - - Updated - - -

And here is how I plan on keeping the electricals. Two panels, one bolts to the frame and has the switching PSU (12v 20a because I bought the wrong damn controller and so have 12v instead of 24v, hopefully that won't make a difference later.........) and I plan on mounting the controller and LCD on the outer one later assuming I can find some risers/bolts long enough. The board fits M3 screws, but Home Depot was useless for the bolt length. Seems like I'll be making a third order to McMaster Carr.
    Attachment 182103

The dandy controller. Has an LCD and such, was a rather great deal even if I bought the 12v instead of the 24v. (Thanks Hoss for the info!)
    Attachment 182104

Z axis going up.
    This axis has 16mm shafts vs the 12mm shafts on the X/Y. Massively over doing it.
    Attachment 182105

Z up with X motor mounted. You can see some of the "Open Operations and Planning Stage" as I like to call mistakes... "OOPS"
    Attachment 182106

And a teaser for a totally unrelated project, an upcoming CNC lathe conversion from a crappy bed and NICE southbend 9 headstock!
    Attachment 182107

I sure would like to follow this thread if I could see the attachments! Is it just me that can't see them.
    If I click on:

Attachment 182107

It takes me to a page with:
    "vBulletin Message

Invalid Attachment specified......."

Me or the system messing up???
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

I can't see them either, just a link that doesn't seem to go anywhere.
    I used the forums add picture but upon submitting it gave me an error and any attempt to correct this also gives me an error.
    Not sure if I messed up or if it's a forum thing... I've reported this image to see if it can get some mod attention.

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, [email protected] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Thanks, I hope they can fix it!
    Art

Reposted this with attached photo's although I've lost the ability to be able to edit the original post...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	adam 1.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	182181

Name:	adam 2.jpg 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	182182

Name:	adam 4.jpg 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	182183

Name:	adam 5.jpg 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	182184

Name:	adam 6.jpg 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	182185

Name:	adam 7.jpg 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	182186

Name:	adam 8.jpg 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	182187

Name:	adam 9.jpg 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	182188

Name:	adam 10.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	182189

Name:	adam 11.jpg 
Size:	122.4 KB 
ID:	182190

Name:	adam 12.jpg 
Size:	127.2 KB 
ID:	182191

Name:	adam 13.jpg 
Size:	110.1 KB 
ID:	182192

Name:	adam 14.jpg 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	182193

Name:	adam 15.jpg 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	182194

Name:	adam 16.jpg 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	182195

I like it, that's cool!

Looking forward to seeing what it does.
    Art

Update!
    Just installed the X axis assembly and added the bearing.
    I never realized just how far apart from the "square" base the X was getting though, so my belts a bit short... Luckily I can just cut it and extend the belt holders off the sides, and double use them as limit switch holders.
    Time to do some electricals tonight, possibly even get that firmware flashed, and tomorrow I'll stop at the woodshop and homedepot and then JUST be waiting on those damn couplers and the hot end.

Another update!
    Hot end arrives tomorrow
    Ordered some more GT2 belts... I got 5 for cheap, but they really are jussssstttt a bit too small for the X axis with its layout. Silly me.
    Still waiting on those shaft couplers but I have an idea on how to make some temporary ones (or possibly permanent!) out of MDF.

Flashed firmware to Marlin on my RAMPS but I'm trying to figure out some issues with the encoder stick/button by the LCD still.

Name:	adam 17.jpg 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	182175

Name:	adam 18.jpg 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	182176

Name:	adam 19.jpg 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	182177

Name:	adam 20.jpg 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	182178

Name:	adam 21.jpg 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	182179

Name:	adam 22.jpg 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	182180

Looking GREAT and glad to be able to see the attachments now:})
    Art

Shaft couplers just showed up. They are very tight to get on though, might have to grab some sand paper and go over the shafts a tidbit to fit them in.
    It'll be a few days before I get time to makeup the Z motor mounts and stuff now though. Might just "ghetto" rig them up for now though and let the weight of the Z bounce (I think it's rather too heavy to bounce much)...
    We shall see, it'd be easier to print out parts than make these last few angle-ish parts in MDF.

Med school got in the way for a bit, but now time to iron out the last of this.
    I've noticed some limitations in my design so far... mostly that I have no design and that's getting hard. Also working in just MDF is excrutiatingly limiting.
    Needless to say printing out the parts for Rev2 on Rev1 will be an astounding simplification.

I got the Z axis setup tonight. Crude, but crude often works.

Name:	ste3.jpg 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	186900

Name:	ste4.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	186902

Name:	967290_10151546398904545_128951733_o.jpg 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	187524

Time to get testing and tweaking!

looking good, any plans to post this on thingiverse?
    lots look to build a printer but many like mine need printed parts first, chicken and egg kind of thing.
    yours should be real popular if you share the prints.
    Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

It's been very empirical, but the lack of 3d prints besides the extruder I'm sure would make this popular. And I'm looking to work out an extruder that doesn't need prints either.

I will end up "making prints" though for Thingiverse. Although 'chicken and the egg' this is actually my egg step to produce a proper chicken. Redesign, move things closer, and print out new parts is the next step.

100% of my brackets were drilled with a hand drill though and cheap bits; so I'm sure this might be something people are interested in.

Getting back to this now that I finally have some time.
    Tried working through calibration but I can't seem to get anything out of it. Pretty sure my motors aren't even tuned in well. I've played with it a bunch but inevitably I find the drivers get hot. I need to get a fan on them I suppose.

Next problem is right now even with tiny "test squares" the first layer looks nice, then it starts running the head thru the old. I think it might be "overfeeding" on the extruder side.

And not having home switches installed is a pain, but not sure how to properly find good spots for them when it's a work in progress.

When using slic3r I find I can never go down on the Z unless I go up first. (Aka theres a minimum value), this is a tremendous pain as it means I have to use the home feature and manually press the home switch, and that means I'm either still too high, or pressing into the bed.

Attachment 198668

Attachment 198670

Tried a 0.5mm thin wall calibration print.
    The Y appears to be fine, but the X is slowly shifting to one side. Maybe a belt is loose?
    The two walls that are good are very parallel and fairly thin.
    Sadly my digital caliper has decided this is a good time to be out of battery.

Any suggestions?

Cool work. The success is very near to you.
    http://free3dscans.blogspot.com/ http://my-woodcarving.blogspot.com/
    http://my-diysolarwind.blogspot.com/

It appears you are losing steps. May try slowing it down some.

Page 1 of 2 12