585,712 active members*
3,590 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Wanting to get into cnc for <$5k

There is so much cnc information on the internet; it makes understanding difficult. Can you all help me? I'm looking to get into cnc at home. I know I posted here in the DIY forum, but I'm also open to simply buying a machine.

Goals:
    1. Cut wood/plastic/plexiglass/very thin metal
    2. Cut wood 3d figurines without too much finishing/sanding required
    3. Engrave wood designs (cabinets, etc)
    4. (Relatively) Tight tolerances/precise cutting

Not important:
    Cutting speed
    Shop space
    DIY machine or Commercial Product

<$5k budget includes hardware and software. If possible, <$3k would be an easier pill to swallow.

Here are some examples of things I've looked at (but I am 100% open to new suggestions)

DIY machines I've looked at (but know nothing about):
    DIYLILCNC (v2.0)
    How to Make a Three Axis CNC Machine (Cheaply and Easily)

Commercial products I've looked at (but know nothing about):
    https://probotix.com/FireBall_X90_desktop_cnc_router/ Fireball X90 $1484.80 plus shipping
    http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=25376 Rockler CNC Shark Pro Plus $3898.99 plus shipping

I was also looking at the Shopbot Desktop, but it was too expensive ($5,798.95 or $7,035.00 with a Single Phase Industrial Spindle, whatever that is)

Also, how feasible is it make enough money with the machine for it to pay for itself (from home/on the side)? It would be nice to make enough money to upgrade to a better machine in the future (I know $10k nets you a much better machine than $5k, and $20k better than $10k, etc).

The Shark looks the best out of those and comes with some very nice software capable of doing what you want. Easy to learn and use, however there is still a bit of a learning curve. Not to put you off, but using any cnc machine isn't something that you just know how to do from birth. It will require lots and lots of reading and then lots more reading. When you feel you have read enough to have a grasp on all the concepts, read some more.
    The easiest way that I have learned is through video tutorials. I think you can also download trail copies of that Vectric software and start messing with it before you even get a machine.

And feel free to ask questions here of course. That is part of the reading that I eluded to earlier. Hopefully someone else has some other machines to check out so you would have a better selection. Good luck no matter the choice and have some fun with the process.
    Lee

I used to have the Shark pro (not the new "HD" version). In a way I liked this machine as a starter to get me familiar with the in and out of CNC but after only 4 or 5 months I sold it. This machine is very light duty and flexes a lot in the gantry and the aluminum table itself. I used it to build my own new machine and moved on.

I've also been looking at Cartwrights, but I've read horror stories with reliability issues. The more I read, the more people seem to recommend the Shopbots. Can a cheaper DIY cnc machine compare to one of those?

Yes for the machine, but I don't think so since you need the software as well. You can build some very nice machines using CNC Router Parts kits or just a few parts from them. It will take quite a few tools to make your own though. Don't attempt it if all you have are a hammer, screw driver and pliers.
    It's difficult to suggest something when we don't know your background and what tools you have available. Not really talking hand tools, but rather types of machinery in your shop now.
    Lee

The ShapeOko is a well-documented opensource hobby-level CNC mill which will do all you list and is quite expandable:

Shapeoko | Precision by DefaultShapeoko | Precision by Default

Plan on either a drive shaft or dual-motor Y-axis upgrade out of the gate --- other upgrades can be easily added later.

First of all, if you want to get into using a CNC for business, then time is money. Also, you may actually get more precise parts in the materials you describe using a faster feedrate than you probably think; this is usually because an excessively slow machine (we usually use high RPM spindles) will tend to burn or melt the material and excessively dull the tool, losing tolerances.

You don't mention size. I'd maybe look into CNC Router Parts, you probably could get the machine parts and software for under what you quote here.

I'm going to look in to the Shapeoko. Thanks for the recommendation.

I'm also considering the KRMx02. Building the KRMx01 CNC
    I read through the materials list, and it looks like it only takes some basic tools and a drill press for the most part.

I don't have any machinery or tools right now. I have access to some things, but I'm old enough that I've just started a career and I figure it's high time I pay my man dues and get some hardware lol.

The Probotix Fireball series is a good starter machine. I do suggest you "start small" and find out if CNC is really what you think it is rather than dumping a bunch of money in to it and finding out it "isn't your cup of tea". You will be able to sell the Fireball for a high % of the purchase price, and grow with the software (or look for alternatives). I have bought a much larger machine, but kept the V90 for other jobs - it does come in handy even though I have a much more capable machine.
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining and more. http://www.mcpii.com/3dservices.html

I'm going to look in to the Shapeoko. Thanks for the recommendation.

I'm also considering the KRMx02. Building the KRMx01 CNC
    This is like comparing a Smart car to a Ferrari.

The vast majority (if not all) of the machines you see on "maker" type websites are really just lower hobby level machines.

Sure, they can do most of what a larger, more expensive machine can do. But if you plan on doing larger projects, and using the machine a lot, you'll almost certainly move on to a better machine.

With a machine like the Shark, or other similar ready to run machines, you're paying a lot of money for support that they have to include.

By building yourself, You can build a machine far superior (bigger, faster, stronger) to most of the machines you mentioned, usually for less money.

As others have said, look at CNC Router Parts or Fine Line Automation. The KRMx02 uses CNC Router Parts components, and is in the same class.

Depending on the size, you can build a machine in the $3000 range. Add a copy of V Carve Pro for $600, and you're ready to go. (For 3D figurines, you'll need 3D modelling software and additional CAM software.)

Also, how feasible is it make enough money with the machine for it to pay for itself (from home/on the side)? It would be nice to make enough money to upgrade to a better machine in the future (I know $10k nets you a much better machine than $5k, and $20k better than $10k, etc).
    A lot of people think they can build a CNC and it will start making money. The reality, is that you need products that people want to buy, and a way to make those people aware of your products. For some, it's very easy to start making money. For others, not so much. I see a lot of people making items and selling them and thinking they're making money. But the reality is they are selling items for little more than the cost of materials and not charging for they're time.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I've decided to build the KRMx02. I bought the plans last night. Thank you all for your help!