584,860 active members*
4,979 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Running g-code on a proto-trak m3 controller

Running g-code on a proto-trak m3 controller

I am wanting to patch into a proto-trak m3 controller and run g-gode from my CAM software. I did a search and found one comment from a member patching into the RS 232 port with an outboard computer. Unfortunately his details were a little thin, and I get an error when I try to private message him.

Anybody else doing this? Please share some details about the setup, software, and your experience.

Thank you.

did you try a null modem cable?

No, we haven't tried anything yet. We just started exploring the process. I am looking for more info, setup, software, etc. Hopefully someone is doing this setup and is willing to share enough info for us to get started. Additionally, I am wondering if we can spool from a laptop and run bigger files than the proto-trak can run (740k memory max)

I have a cnc router running with deskCNC, and like proto-trak, it is limiting. So I do all my programming in more sophisticated CAM software. Standing at the proto-trak and taking 4 times as long to program, and not being able to program the next file while it is running is a huge waste of time. Fortunately deskCNC is running on an XP machine and I can just download g-code with a thumb drive. It would be awesome to have a laptop connected to the proto-trak and spool the g-code. Proto-trak won't let you ramp into a pocket, do raster cutting, surface contours and lots of other things that even simple CAM software has as features. Heck, it would be faster to just write the program in g-code with notepad. But first we have to understand how to get into and out of the controller.