584,841 active members*
4,202 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: SCSI

SCSI

Dear Sir

We r aware about PC with IDE/SATA Harddisk

Please let us know how to identify SCSI capable PC as we have got a SCSI Harddisk in a machine and v need to take a clone of it in SCSI Capable PC

Regards,

M. Rishikesh

M.RISHIKESH

SCSI is identified by the interface. IDE/SATA use pins and sockets whereas the SCSI uses a single slot type interface.

RFB

Buy a SCSI controller card. Most machines do not have SCSI built in to motherboard. Almost none do today. You'll need a free PCI slot.

Re: SCSI

Quote Originally Posted by louieatienza View Post
    Buy a SCSI controller card. Most machines do not have SCSI built in to motherboard. Almost none do today. You'll need a free PCI slot.
    which SCSI (50pin ISA) controllers work with the thermwood 9100 ?
    also, could i just replace the SCSI card in there with a standard ISA IDE/EIDE i/o controller?

this thermwood 9100 super controller has an old ega or cga video, (isa/eisa?) motherboard sockets (not PCI), and runs DOS 3.1 or 3.3, less than a 500MB SCSI 50-pin hard drive (which is going out and hard to find good ones) with what looks like a full-length server size scsi card with built-in floppy and serial ports.
    i just want to make sure it's "safe" to plug in a standard SCSI ISA or EISA card (like adaptec 1520), only because this is such a proprietary board.
    if this is just a standard board, i could probably also replace the ega or cga card with a vga ISA socket card. those old monitors are much more expensive and harder to find than a new vga monitor.
    in the picture below, you can see the motherboard slots. the bottom socket LOOKS like ISA, the botthom and next small socket looks like 32-bit EISA?. then the mid and top socket of the single card socket are unknown to me. would plugging in a standard SCSI ISA card to the bottom slow work or is it supported? for IDE?

Your best bet would be to stop using that old hardware. If you can get all of your data out of that hard drive you can run it in any modern DOS system like FreeDOS. Make backups of everything!

FreeDOS | The FreeDOS Project