585,973 active members*
3,971 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > Gecko G540 mach3 setup motors not turning

Gecko G540 mach3 setup motors not turning

hello I am a CNC newbie, and i just converted or in the process of converting my HF44991 milling machine to CNC. I got the CNCrouterparts 3 axis kit.

i wired everything according to the instructions i found on their website and everywhere else. i was using my laptop because it worked for the xylotec driver which burned out. so i got a gecko g540 with mach3.
    anyways i bought a desktop computer so i can put the parallel port to EPP and downloaded the xml file from the gecko website. still no luck. i can hear the motors bit no movement. my parallel cable is the correct one its a straight pin to pin db25 cable. i think my configuration is wrong. wheneveri try to jog the motors there is no movement.

can someone send me screen shots of their configuration or walk me through step by step ? i need help

CNC router parts also has XML's.
    Mach 3 XML Files | CNCRouterParts

If you are getting no movement with jog, are the DRO's moving?
    Lee

by the DROS you mean the xyz numbers on the screen yes, the numbers are moving but no motor movement

and i already tried to use the xml files on cncrouterpartds, no luck.

is there a part i missed , i have the G540, the motors the motor cables and the parallel cable. the cables should be fine the are all brand new

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...24939852_o.jpg

this a picture of my setup

Hi Sam. Welcome to the Zone!

Turn off power. Inspect the power connections at G 540 & PSU. Make sure there are no spider wires touching anything. Disconnect the motors from G540. Unplug the parallel cable. Apply power. Do you have a green light? If not, slide the charge pump switch to the other position and try again. Now do you have a green light? If yes, hook it back up and test for movement. If necessary, we can troubleshoot from here. If not, you may have a defective G 540 and need to email Gecko: [email protected]

CR.
    http://crevicereamer.com
    Too many PMs. Email me to my name plus At A O L dot com.

i did everything you asked i turned everything off, checked to see if there were any spider wires connecting anywhere else that they should not, they are not.

i disconnected the motors and the parallel cable and turned it on i have a green light. i unplugged it again switched the charge pump swith to on and turned it back on and i have a red light switch the charge pump switch to off and i got a green light. so i started connecting the motors and i can hear them with out the parallel cable connected . but after everything was hooked back up still same result. it seems like its the parallel connection ( i think) i just orded another epp parallel port fpr the desktop hopefully that fixes it if not another cable. i will still contact the ebay seller just in case the G540 is jacked up.

until then if anyone else can think of another solution please feel free to let me know.

What is Voltage reading at PSU?
    Connect a printer to parallel port. Will it print?
    Do you have steps per, velocity and acceleration set for each axis in motor tuning? Did you save each axis?
    What operating system are you using? Mach3 will not drive motors on a 64 bit system.
    Does your desktop have a built-in parallel port or are you using a pci add on port card? Very few pci card parallel ports will work with G540. The PMDX dual port card is specially made to work:
    PMDX.COM - Products for CNC and motion control applications
    How long is that parallel cable? Should only be 6 feet or less.

CR.

ok, by PSU you mean the power supply unit its a 48 v ,
    I do not have a printer that takes a db. 25 port motor tuning is set for each axis
    I have windows xp pro 32 bit
    my parallel port for my desktop is built in the mother board( ordered another one ) and if it does not work I will try PDMX port i will order a 6 feet parallel cable.

i really appreciate the prompt replies guys. i will post project pictures soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Samvoodoo View Post
    ok, by PSU you mean the power supply unit its a 48 v ....
    Yes, I know it IS a 48V. I want you to measure it with a Volt meter and make sure it is putting OUT the 48V it is supposed to. If you get a green light with everything disconnected from G540, than it is most likely not the culprit.

Just to be clear, You DID try it with everything hooked up and the charge pump switch in both positions, right?

Also, in motor tuning, make sure you have at least some velocity on the slider and the step pulse is set to at least 2.

Look at both ends of the DB25 cable and check for bent pins.

CR.

update: I bought a secondary parallel port and another db25 male to male cable, and i am happy to say all the motors are jogging perfectly now. Next step is to tune the motors so the DROs read accurately and installing the limit switces.

Hey sam
    What type of parallel port card did you buy, because I am currently having the same problem. Give me exact details so I would get the same one.
    Thank
    Or anyone else can feel free to ans