585,578 active members*
4,161 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Selling my pcnc1100 what is a good asking price????
Page 1 of 2 12

Selling my pcnc1100 what is a good asking price????

The day has come where I decided that I will be putting my pcnc1100 series3 up for sale. I have tried looking at ebay and craigslist to get an idea of what would be a good asking price? The machine is less that a year old, still has couple months of warranty left. I has the tormach controller and the automatic oiler along with jog pendant. Only issues were the coolant pump would bind up and they warrantied that out and I had a couple instances where it lost some steps but after a full reinstall of the OS with a new disc from tormach it hasn't acted up since.

I would obviously rather sell the machine local and not have to deal with shipping, transport and so on. It currently is still under power until the new machine arrives so it would not be an issue to show someone its working as it should. But once its moved I would not be able to really demo it working. How much of a concern do you guys think that will be to a potential buyer if I can't power it up?

M

I think this is a big deal, not only for the buyer buy also for you in the event that the buyer screws up when he gets it home.

Experienced machinery buyers are very cautious when it comes to machines being offered not under power. If they are going to take the risk they will want the reward and thus will offer a much lower price.

Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Dsmed View Post
    How much of a concern do you guys think that will be to a potential buyer if I can't power it up?

M

I agree with Phil
    Leave it fully functional until you have cash in hand
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

put a cord to it for the demo

dsmed;
    Where are you located?
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

I could use another one!

Quote Originally Posted by bill south View Post
    dsmed;
    Where are you located?
    Bill
    Illinois, just outside of Chicago.

Wow, too bad! I'm located in SC and was hoping you would be a bit closer.
    I have 2 ex-wives Waukegan and I avoid the area like a plague!
    Thanks for the info and good luck selling the mill.
    Bill
    \
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

I'm just west on 20... Hmmm how much and what's it come with?

Quote Originally Posted by BAMCNC.COM View Post
    I'm just west on 20... Hmmm how much and what's it come with?
    The machine is in my shop in Palatine zip 60067. The machine comes with the Tormach deluxe stand, automatic oiler, tormach machine controller, load meter, shuttle jog controller, monitor, keyboard, mouse, extra draw bar, extra tram pillow. Thats all I can think of now. I also have a new never used large auto reversing tapping head which I am still unsure if I wanna sell since I can use that with my bridgeport. Also have quite a bit of extra way oil and coolant that can go with the machine. Everything is bought dirrectly from tormach except for the mouse and monitor. I have to check the exact date but the machine is still under warranty for I'm guessing another 2 months or so. I also purchased the lic key to unlock the wizards in mach.

I will entertain any reasonable offer. I do not have to get rid of the machine in a hurry so I haven't listed it on craigslist yet as I don't want to deal with all the smart a** low ballers. I would like for it to be gone when my new bigger machine arrives in the next 2-3 weeks.

I got the 1100 as it was perfect for what I needed, but as things progressed the demand for bigger and more complex parts has come and I need something with more travels and a tool changer.

Shoot me a pm if you'd like to see it or talk. If it work for you maybe we can arrange something with the rigger what will be dropping of my new machine to pick the 1100 up and deliver. He might do a good deal so he isn't drving away empty.

Quote Originally Posted by bill south View Post
    Wow, too bad! I'm located in SC and was hoping you would be a bit closer.
    I have 2 ex-wives Waukegan and I avoid the area like a plague!
    Thanks for the info and good luck selling the mill.
    Bill
    \
    Thnx,

I actually live pretty darn close to Waukegan. But the machine is in Palatine so not too close if you still wanna get the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dsmed View Post
    The machine comes with the Tormach deluxe stand, automatic oilier, tormach machine controller, load meter, shuttle jog controller, monitor, keyboard, mouse, extra draw bar, extra tram pillow. Thats all I can think of now.
    Did you buy one of the packages or are these the only items? Does it have vise,tooling etc?

Might be good idea to list the price you paid new.....I do have price in mind for the items listed. Going to look at a Hurco Thursday so i'm definitely in the market.
    I have wore out the wish list on the Tormach site last few weeks.
    I'm in Indianapolis so i could pick it up.
    Hurco KMB1 Build
    Wholesale Tool 3in1 conversion
    C-Constant
    N-Nonworking
    C-Contraption

what's the new machine?

Quote Originally Posted by FannBlade View Post
    Did you buy one of the packages or are these the only items? Does it have vise,tooling etc?

Might be good idea to list the price you paid new.....I do have price in mind for the items listed. Going to look at a Hurco Thursday so i'm definitely in the market.
    I have wore out the wish list on the Tormach site last few weeks.
    I'm in Indianapolis so i could pick it up.

I did not purchase it as any of the packages they have put together. I put together what I wanted. I had a spare 19 inch monitor and I wanted a full size keyboard with the num pad. Vises and tooling I have that gets shared with the bridgeport. So I had a pretty big selection of r8 holder and vises before the 1100 showed up. All the tooling I will be keeping as it will still get used with the manual mill. I have to dig up the invoice for it but I think it came out to just over $14k by the time ups shipping for the hardware and freight for the machine and stand was added.

Quote Originally Posted by jid2 View Post
    what's the new machine?
    VF2 is supposed to show up in a couple weeks. I looked at my garage to see if maybe I could stick the tormach in there to play around at home, but I think I'll be better of selling it and spending that money on tooling for the Haas. Good ct40 holder and not cheap.

Maritool isn't bad, I just bought a couple ER20 CAT40 holders. I was going to get the Shars balanced ones but decided it was better to spend a bit more and get the Maritools which are well reviewed. They aren't that much more than Tormach TTS. Did you buy a new VF2? which options. I wish I could fit a machine that size in the garage, I'm looking at Super Mini Mills, Hurco VM10's and Sharp 24112s.

Also - Tormachs with similar setups to yours sell for around $10K in the Seattle area when they show up. There have been two or three in the last year and a half, all series 2 machines, some have included tooling.
    PM-45 CNC conversion built/run/sold.

So how much is it going to cost to move over to Haas and how much more for new tooling? $20K?

Don Clement

cue the "you can do anything with a Tormach that you can do on a VF2!" posts.

Quote Originally Posted by jid2 View Post
    Maritool isn't bad, I just bought a couple ER20 CAT40 holders. I was going to get the Shars balanced ones but decided it was better to spend a bit more and get the Maritools which are well reviewed. They aren't that much more than Tormach TTS. Did you buy a new VF2? which options. I wish I could fit a machine that size in the garage, I'm looking at Super Mini Mills, Hurco VM10's and Sharp 24112s.

Also - Tormachs with similar setups to yours sell for around $10K in the Seattle area when they show up. There have been two or three in the last year and a half, all series 2 machines, some have included tooling.
    I already ordered some shars holders and collets. For roughing and initial cuts they will be fine. And actually I have quite a bit of tooling from shars and 98% of it is actually exactly within the specs they advertise. And they are about a 35 min drive from me so alot of times I'll call an order in and just go pick it up that day. I do want to get a couple high end holders and collets. I have a couple fancy cutters from Iscar that have over 5inch overhang to runout has to be dead on for some really deep cuts and finishing.

My shop is just over 4000sq ft. so I got the room and power to run the vf2. I was actually pretty much ready to pull the trigger on the TM2p but after alot of though I figured if I can get financed for the vf2 it will be less than $200 more a month to have that. Only option I added now is the chip conveyor. there are a couple other things that I want to add to it but they are software stuff so I can add them down the road. 30hp spindle, 8100rpm, 20atc will get me making what I need. They give you 200 hours of trial time with the extra accessories before you have to pay so that will give me enough time to use them and see what I really want to spend $$ on down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by takewhatyoulike View Post
    So how much is it going to cost to move over to Haas and how much more for new tooling? $20K?

Don Clement
    Well the haas has a price tag of 59k. I have the necessary power on tap so not much to worry about there. Got a big 3phase air compressor for any air needs. Tooling, well I have alot of what I need right now as far as cutters, endmill, facemills and so on. The ct40 holders, pull studs and now I can buy some 3/4 and bigger end mills to make work go quicker. I have some parts that take 14 hours on one side and about 7 hours on the other side with the tormach. I can't run deep cuts so the hp is not the issue but the feeds and rapids is what actually eats alot of the time up. I have 2 cutters from Iscar, the rep actually came out and we did some testing what would be the best one for me and I am basically rubbing the inserts cause I can't push fast enough. I need at least another 120+ipm to run the cutter where its supposed to be. With the tormach when we tested it at the doc recommended and at full ipm the load meter was not even at the half mark. We were at 0.08doc witha ballnose 5/8 bit. And we were rubbing at 110ipm. Can't go deeper as the tool is over 6 inches long and at that point deflection will be a huge issue.

So I'm probably looking at an extra $2k from what I have to run the vf2. Not including the cost of the machine. Can the tormach do the stuff I need yes. But I have a couple projects that I am designing that will require more X and Y travel. The kit I build right now has 3 parts that would run the tormach for well over 50 hours to produce. I have 5 orders pending. Cam simulation tells me I will be able to knock a set out in a bit over 12 hours. Im at the shop a solid 10-11 hours everyday so being that the haas will change tools and has load alarms I don't have to worry too much about walking out and let it finish what its doing for the next hour or so. That is one thing I wish tormach had is load monitoring. Once the cutter gets dull or breaks it be nice if is stopped and alarmed you. Cause now it just keeps pushing until I hear the spindle slow down or the meter starts getting over by the yellow.

Quote Originally Posted by TiagoSantos View Post
    cue the "you can do anything with a Tormach that you can do on a VF2!" posts.
    Yeah, I figured I'll probably get some heat about that. Don't get me wrong the tormach is amazing and it really has been doing way more complicated parts than I expected. But I don't have the luxury or being by the machine all day. I have to be on the phone, emails, welding, and getting the cars in the shop worked on too. so having the speed and features that the vf2 has will free up alot of my time. I know I could have gotten the atc for the tormach and that would help out alot. But that is only a small part of the equasion. Race season is here and time is a big thing now. Next guy to call I will have to tell him he is 6th on the list and in a perfect world he is 6 weeks away before I can get his parts made. Lots of guys called and walked cause they don't want to wait. And I can't run the tormach all day everyday either for those parts as I need it to make smaller brackets and fittings here and there too. And when I'm running the TIG in alum I don't run the 1100 as i wanna hear it in the background in case the cutter starts to dull.

Page 1 of 2 12