508,132 active members
3,012 visitors online
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12
    Community Moderator

Laptop Opinions

I have a old dell laptop I use for all cad/cam work, it's running windows 7, but it's slow and clunky. I'm looking at replacing it, and looking at a Asus or toshiba. Any opinions of brands and models? I want I7 processor, 16gigs of ram and SSD drive and under 2k.

Registered
    I have found one thing that you need to take into consideration. If you use heavy 3d software, you need to consider finding an engineering class laptop. The gaming laptops use video cards that are good for high paced video game graphics, but they tend to suck when you want to get the same results out of them for engineering type 3d work. If you use 3d software, I would suggest that you ask for laptop recommendations from them as to what graphic cards work well with their software.

I have a Toshiba i7 with 8gb ram that is 1 year old. It runs Alibre great, but the rendering under SprutCam is average at best. To get semi-good performance, I have to switch the laptop to full power mode (keep that trick in mind too). A friend has an engineering glass video card in his computer, and I tried running Sprut on that. Very big difference. An engineering quality video card runs circles around the gaming card in my laptop.

I would also NOT considering using Windows 8. Downgrade as fast as you can to Windows 7.

Wade

Monkeywrench Technician
    To expand on Wades post.
    Workstation laptops are stupid expensive and the only real difference is the CAD class open GL vid card.
    I agree that is the BEST PC if budget is not an issue.
    I personally have found (with MY 3D software) that gaming cards in the last 4 years or so are quite capable of rendering 3D. Sometimes a few settings need turned off or reduced is necessary.
    I would make sure to have a stand alone vid vard.

Sorry Paul, I re-read your post and see that you ONLY use a laptop, might as well go for broke then. You need a Boxx. BOXX Technologies - GoBOXX Mobile Workstations
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Community Moderator
    I have desktops that I use, but I like to be portable as well. Thanks for your input. I like the call for price that's when you know your in trouble.

Monkeywrench Technician
    If you go through the config on their site you get a price
    You may need to up the budget :drowning:
    For CAD and CAM processing surfaces I primarily use a desktop. My old C2duo (laptop) with Nvidea card still runs SolidWorks fine when needed on site and has no issues with most of the CAM. In this scenario I find an 800 to 1000 laptop is quite sufficient. I would put the extra money into the desktop.
    (You could also build 2 PCs and have a netbook)
    Every bodies needs and desires are different though
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Registered
    Take a look a Dell M4700. The 4800 just came out, so you should be able to find a good deal. It should ship with win 7 pro installed and media for win 8 so you can take your pick.

I would configure it with the cheapest HDD and 8 GB ram (2 x 4) and then put an SSD and 8 more GB of ram in yourself. That should be doable for just under $2k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Why would anybody buy a DELL?

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by salzburg View Post
    Why would anybody buy a DELL?
    Ummm, the OP mentioned he is looking to replace an older Dell, and this would meet the other requirements he mentioned.

Registered
    Don't waste your money on anything expensive, last place I worked we ran 2 CAD programs and a CAM program on Dell M90 laptops, Dell (and I hate Dell) M90 laptops are very adequate for $100-250 used, and XPS M1730 work very well for $200-400 used. Sometimes saving files can be a little slow when savong files (we didn't use ssd hd's with XP) but other than that more than good enough

CNCadmin

Lenovo (IBM) W530 or similar is the best I have found I7 with the up grade CPU3840QM, You can custom order what you want, add more ram yourself, the best time to get a deal is when they do a back to school special

As for using a Dell I would pass on that, if you have any serious cad/cam programs you want to run
    Mactec54

Registered
    I know Dell isn't great, but why all the bashing?

I run CAD/CAM on Dell machines all day long without issues, so I really don't understand the knee-jerk hostility.

alexhawker

I have high end Dell commercial lap tops, not the ones you buy in the store, ( there is a big difference) that is why I said they don't compare to the W530 for performance

I'm not bashing them just saying I have real hands on experience of the 2 different computers
    Mactec54

Page 1 of 2 12