585,982 active members*
4,736 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Other Machines > Engraving Machines > New Hermes Vanguard 4000 CNC depth set

New Hermes Vanguard 4000 CNC depth set

I just purchased a New Hermes Vanguard 4000 and have either created a problem in the software while practicing, or am overlooking a step in the tool zero depth set procedure. I have followed the manual carefully setting up the job and proofing the graphics. My first attempt went fine right up to turning on the motor and pressing start. I set the tool Z zero as the manual described with no problem, but when I pushed the motor start button nothing happened, so I thought I pressed the wrong button (red) and immediately pressed the green button below it not realizing it was actually the reset button - oops! I lost everything and after reading more carefully realized that the red button only arms the motor circuit and when "Start" is pressed, the motor starts automatically. Anyway, after I reloaded the job information and was satisfied with the graphics, I pressed the appropriate jog buttons to move the cutter a short distance over the plate away from home corner, and pressed the "Adjust Cutter" button to set the tool to Z zero to the plate surface. The spindle servo motor made the normal sound of being ready, but the up and down cursor arrows did not lower or raise the cutter as before. Instead, the first touch of one of the vertical arrows brought up one of the data screens and subsequent pressing of the arrows increased or decreased the value that the cursor was on and the spindle did not move. The manual doesn't specify a particular screen to be in when pressing the "Adjust cutter" button, and I don't remember which screen I was last in when it worked the first time. I thought I was in the graphics screen, but no luck after trying several or all setup screens. What have I done, or not done, or forgotten to do?

I did sucessfully finish the job by manually rotating the spindle servo knob attached to the vertical screw after activating the "Adjust Cutter" button and following the touch-off procedure. That proves that the vertical servo and all other systems are working fine.

Several of the keyboard keys have to be hit quite hard to respond due to it's age or past environment. If I can find a new keyboard that works with this system I should replace it, or a whole new computer and software upgrade would certainly work if anyone has a recommendation. I havent seen any yet. The current system has 18 fonts and ornimentals, so it's well equipped for it's age.

Any help or information greatly appreciated.

Woody

Woody,
    I spent many years running NH machines with EP modules. Frankly, I selectively FORGOT everything about them. Talk about proprietary, difficult to utilize, outdated, useless crap, even in its day !

The HARDWARE however was always above the fray. If you have a machine with decent rails, bearings and screws, its probably well worth a retrofit. Problem is, there are no "kits" per say with "instructions" for your specific machine.

I've had a NH 7200 standing here this winter that I picked up. When I got interested in getting it up and running, the first thing I did was yank the old "control" boards out of it and wired Flashcut CNC into the existing NH motor driver board. Now I have a machine that is only limited by my ability to create G-code (which is not a problem).

It probably could be a better machine if I replaced the NH driver board, but it works well enough for now. If the NH driver board ever burns out, I'll replace it and I am sure it will run faster than it does now because the drivers are quite antiquated at this point.

You can get as close to a kit as possible with something from Flashcut however.... you can get a "complete system" with new drivers and a power supply built in. The existing motors should be plenty good to use and only need perhaps 2.5 amps tops. To convert it, you would simply need to identify all the wires functions that went between the machine and the old EP module and wire that up to the new system.

I forgot if I kept the membrane front panel from mine or not..... It might have come off hard and been destroyed. If I see it laying around, I'll let you know.
    Chris L

Re: New Hermes Vanguard 4000 CNC depth set

I found the structure of this chess online article to be well-organized and logical. It helped me navigate the information effectively.