585,715 active members*
4,648 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question DIY CNC Router

Anyone building a CNC Hobby Router in Toronto/Canada...

I am building one and would like to share ideas...

David... Toronto/Canada

David,

Is Barrie/Orillia area close enough?

Iain
    Oro Station

I am in Scarboro... you are close enough.. Are you building a CNC machine?

I have started one and will have some pictures shortly..

regards/ David

I've built several different machines, and am in the middle of thinking up my next project.
    What are you working on?

ATB

Iain

Hi guys,

I'm another in the GTA (Woodbridge) that is making a CNC router. Just in the planing stages now. Have some bearings and threaded rod I am playing with just to get an idea. May start building this weekend...

For electronics I plan on the Automationdirect 276oz steppers and the Xylotex 3 axis driver board.

I'm a PLC programmer and have worked with Automationdirect stuff when things had to be done on the cheap. Not bad stuff actually.

The mechanical part will be a hybrid of many of the machines on this site.

Do any of you know where to get ACME screws locally?

James

Morning James,
    Welcome to the fun filled sinkhole called DIY CNC!
    I only call it that because with everyone I know, once you get it running, the "improvements" and tweaking start, all of which costs more money and so on, and so on....

But, if nothing else, we have fun with what we do!

As for acme screws, try your local Fastenal branch. If your local is anything like the Barrie branch, they won't stock squat, but can and will get it in for you P.D. Q. at a healthy savings over what Brafasco will gouge you for.

While you're there, ask them for the flyer on Alvin Metal Product's Lab Metal. It is an amazing product that can be thinned enough to be sprayed, cast, brushed on, and comes in a mixture that's good to 1000 degrees F.

What I used it for was casting blocks over a piece of surplus linear rail, that I got for cheap,(free) and was not willing to spend $150 per bearing block to use.
    Boxed in a section of rail, brushed on Devcon's wear resistant epoxy for the sliding surface, and filled the rest of the form with the Alvin's.
    When it set, slid it off the rail, cut to length, machine true and I wound up with 8 usable blocks for about $120.

HTH,

Iain
    When all else fails, it's time to think outside the box!

Thanks for the info Iain.

Turns out there is a Fastenal very close to me.

I hope I can fend off the upgraditis. My other hobby is home theatre which can be a endless series of tweaks and trials aas well. I'm lucky to have an understanding wife!

That metal lab seems like an interesting product. I'll look into it!

James