585,687 active members*
4,700 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

UC100 USB Motion controller

Hi All,

First of all I would like to thank everyone on this forum for their questions and answers which I have found very informative. Over the last 3 years I have always found answers to questions that I had on this forum.

I am currently faced with a problem and can't seem to find an answer and therefore I registered on CNCZone to ask the question.

I have a 490mm X 490mm machine running on Mach3 via LPT1 (Windows XP) which works perfectly except for the normal problems related to parallel port. I decided to add a UC100 USB motion controller to improve the performance.

I connected the UC100 Motion controller and installed the software. everything was going well, I jogged the machine using keyboard arrow keys and was quite impressed with the difference it made.

Then I decided to do a test run with g-code (Part of the program Listed below)

N120G00G21G17G90G40G49G80
    N130G71G91.1
    N140T1M06
    N150 (Ball Nose {3 mm})
    N160G00G43Z5.800H1
    N170S16000M03

I set the Z and clicked on cycle start and the Z lifted to 5.8 and as the M03 command activated the spindle board relay, the computer lights on the front panel flickered and everything went dead.

Next day I got another computer ( with Windows 7 Ultimate) connected everything up installed the UC100 and tried again and the same thing happened.

Following day I got yet another computer but the UC100 was shot so I reconnected the machine to LPT port and it works fine.

Question is, What can the problem be?. System works fine with LPT1 but failed via USB and UC100

Control box Specs is as follows, maybe there is a clue here:-

1 X System4C (4 axis kit) from Diycnc.uk
    1 X Fan 12v 80x80
    1 X 24v Regulated power supply for System4C
    1 X 48v Regulated power supply with manual speed regulator for 300w air cooled Spindle 3000-12000 RPM
    (Spindle activated via System4C Spindle board - Mach3 Output# 1, port 1, Pin 17) 240v to PS and 48v output to spindle through the relay board.

Thanks

Philip

PhilipG

This could be just the software not loaded correctly, you may also have a G-code problem looking at what you have posted as well, I have the U100 & it works really great, there were some bugs when it first came out, but not the problem you are having, do you have the direct link to the manufacture of the U100, they will be the best to help you problem solve for you
    Mactec54

Thanks mactec54

G-code is just part of the whole program generated with Cut2d and I have previously run it successfully and I ran the same program after reconnecting the machine back to LPT port with no problem.

I know the UC100 is a great product and will definitely get another one but need to resolve this problem.

USB ports are supposed to have protection and System4C BOB is opto-isolated. UC100 is same pin out as LPT Port so I can't understand why the problem occurred and bypassed USB protection.

PhilipG

Did you do the U100 software auto or manual install

Cut2d did not make the G-code the postprocessor that you are using makes the G-code, which is not correct for what you are doing G71 is for a lathe, even though the program will run in Mach3 it is not correct how it has been formatted, so what I can see with the small amount of program, there most likely are more problems as well, but I'm not saying that the program is what is the problem, it is just not formatted correct for a mill/router
    Mactec54

Mactec54

I Did the auto install. (Software downloaded from CNCDrive website)

Initial installation had a problem as auto install wasn't working but I found that the complete file had not downloaded (33.2Mb) so I downloaded it again and it worked.

Since it comes with the latest version of Mach3, I uninstalled the old version and the new one was auto installed.

On the second computer everything was freshly installed except the Profile (XML) file with machine settings.

To create the Profile file I selected Mill from the popup screen in mach3 and in Cut2D I select Mach2/3 Arcs(mm)(*.text) post processor.

This is a different subject but I would appreciate further info on how to set it up correctly as this is probably related to issues I have had with the machine that actually made me look at an external motion controller.

I will order another UC100 which will take about a month to arrive and hopefully I will have gathered enough info to get it working.

PhilipG

This is the manufacture of the U100, so you should be in contact with them, you may not need another one, although it's a good idea to have a spare, this may also be a lot quicker for you with any shipping if needed

PolgardiDesign
    Mactec54

Mactec54

I think I will need another one. When I connect the old one to the pc green light comes on which is normal then the blue light comes on about 3 seconds later and stays on. It gets hot and mach3 says UC100 not found.

I will contact PolgardiDesign and see what they say. Thanks

In cut2d which post processor would you recommend I use in order to get correct g-code?

dubble Guest
    Hey Philip,

I hope the free replacement of UC100 device we sent works well for you. Unfortunately we never received the device you indicated broken and which we agreed you will ship back to us. I've tried to e-mail you several times but did not getting any reply, so I found this thread now and decided to post here to reach you and hopefully you will reading this and can tell me how the free replacement device working for you. And also please give me information if and how you shipped the broken indicated device back to us? Thank you.

I have used quite a few UC100 on several machines and love it. Never had an issue with the unit itself, always managed to install the software on WinXP, Win7 and Win8/32. Never tried Win8/64 but can not see an issue.
    I run machines with Asus Vivo Win8 tablets (around $ 400) because of the touch screen as well as with virtual Windows (VM Fusion) XP and Windows 7 from my Macbook Pro.

I would like to hear about the recommendations for the post processor, especially why to use the Mach2/3 Arcs(mm)(*.text) instead of the standard Mach2/3 mm. And how that could influence the running with the UC100.

PhilipG, try to run the spindle through a different pin. And check if pin 17 works fine.

dubble Guest
    Hi Beernuts,

I'm happy to hear you used and using our UC100 controllers with satisfaction.

The Win8/64 bit OP system is a bit more grumpy than the others, because of Microsoft's new security policy which is only in the Win8/64bit version.
    Our USB drivers are yet unsigned which means you can install it on any OP systems without problems, but the Win8/64bit mostly needs some workaround before the installation. The workaround is that in that OP system you have to disable the secure boot function and set the BIOS from UEFI to legacy mode if it is set to UEFI,
    otherwise this version of Windows will now allow you to install any unsign drivers. Which is ridicious in my opinion as many important hardware drivers and virtual hardware drivers etc. are unsigned... So, the UC100 installs also on the Win8/64bit version, just the above mentioned things have to be set before the USB drivers successful installation.

About the post processor question: I'm not exactly sure which software's postprocessor you mentioning? But if Mach3 understand the code then also the UC100 does.
    So, you have to select a postprocessor which is compatible with Mach3 and do not really have to think about the UC100.

And PaulG's issue seemed to me a hardware issue, like if his optocoupler was broken down on that pin, the symptons where like that. But unfortunately after we shipped him a free replacement we did not hear back from him. Also we not received the broken device back, so we could not look deeper into the problem...

Quote Originally Posted by dubble View Post
    Hi Beernuts,

I'm happy to hear you used and using our UC100 controllers with satisfaction.

The Win8/64 bit OP system is a bit more grumpy than the others, because of Microsoft's new security policy which is only in the Win8/64bit version.
    Our USB drivers are yet unsigned which means you can install it on any OP systems without problems, but the Win8/64bit mostly needs some workaround before the installation. The workaround is that in that OP system you have to disable the secure boot function and set the BIOS from UEFI to legacy mode if it is set to UEFI,
    otherwise this version of Windows will now allow you to install any unsign drivers. Which is ridicious in my opinion as many important hardware drivers and virtual hardware drivers etc. are unsigned... So, the UC100 installs also on the Win8/64bit version, just the above mentioned things have to be set before the USB drivers successful installation.

About the post processor question: I'm not exactly sure which software's postprocessor you mentioning? But if Mach3 understand the code then also the UC100 does.
    So, you have to select a postprocessor which is compatible with Mach3 and do not really have to think about the UC100.

And PaulG's issue seemed to me a hardware issue, like if his optocoupler was broken down on that pin, the symptons where like that. But unfortunately after we shipped him a free replacement we did not hear back from him. Also we not received the broken device back, so we could not look deeper into the problem...
    I am having a similar problem. I have tried to install on a windows 8/64 bit computer, and have done the things you mention above but it still stops and says I need to shut off the secure boot. I check BIOS and it still shows that it is off. It also says in the install menu that I need to set windows to free mode. I have no idea how to do that. Any help would be appreciated.

Also tried to install on windows 7 computer and it show it installed but when i start Mach and go to config/config plugins it show it is not active. If i activate it the Emergency Mode Active Press Reset comes on an will not reset.

Thanks
    Rick

dubble Guest
    Hi Scubadog,

If you can enable the UC100 plugin in Mach3 then the USB drivers are already working, otherwise Mach3 would throw an error on startup like "defective plugin. Ignoring.." and would disable the plugin. So, if you can enable the plugin in Mach3 means that you already have everything installed correctly. The Emergency stop you must configure in Mach3. In default the e-stop input is configured to pin 10. and active high if I recall, which means the signal will be active if you have nothing connected to that pin. To disable the e-stop just to be able to start playing with the device just change the polarity of the e-stop input signal. You can do this in the Config-> Ports and pins-> input signals-> find the Estop row and change the polarity of the active low column.

dubble Guest
    And in Windows 8.x64 you must set in the BIOS the UEFI to legacy mode and disable the secure boot function, nothing else to do.
    You may also try to install the USB drivers with in the Automatic installer application unzipped, go to the USB_installer folder and x64 subfolder and try to run the DPInst.exe file. This is the USB drivers installer part of the application. It will show you two green marks in case of successful installation or it will show you a red cross or 2 red crosses if there is anything problem. In case the installation fails it should give you some description about why it failed.

the video shows a test setup with the UC100, a Gecko 540 and 4 motors (X slave). It is run by 10' Asus Tablet with touch screen and Win8. I like this tablet as it is fanless and the battery lasts very long.
    The Micro USB is connected to a hub and the UC100 connects to the hub as well as an external keyboard and mouse. A USB pendant can be connected also.

UC100 test - YouTube

Bought the G540 from Homann Design including a fan unit and the biggest motors he offers for it.
    The test unit has a Home, Pause and a Start switch and they work great. I was surprised how well Pause actually works.

Re: UC100 USB Motion controller

I have Two UC 100 controllers. Using Mach 3 progams on Taig CNC Windows XP. both CNC while cutting stop in the same place while cutting out small wooden cars triger a reset. the cutters are easy to turn so reset and proceed and it finishes cutting the program. throught the day will get a message UC100 lost signal. I shut down, restart. and signal is good again without touching nothing. is there an update that needs to be installed? Woody waiting for a reply

dubble Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Houty View Post
    I have Two UC 100 controllers. Using Mach 3 progams on Taig CNC Windows XP. both CNC while cutting stop in the same place while cutting out small wooden cars triger a reset. the cutters are easy to turn so reset and proceed and it finishes cutting the program. throught the day will get a message UC100 lost signal. I shut down, restart. and signal is good again without touching nothing. is there an update that needs to be installed? Woody waiting for a reply
    You may want to check if the USB suspend function is enabled in your Windows?
    You should disable that, because if enabled then Windows can stop any USB port anytime when it thinks the PC is in idle (no user interaction with the keyboard and mouse for some time) or if it is a laptop then if Windows thinks it has to save power.
    The thing that you said that both devices do this on about the same location in the code I think this will be the problem, because you start the code execution and then I guess you don't touch the keyboard and mouse and then both Windows stops the USB port after the same time intervals expired which will cause the execution of the code to be stopped in about the same location, same distance from the start.

Hi Beernuts,

Quote Originally Posted by beernuts View Post
    ... It is run by 10' Asus Tablet with touch screen and Win8. I like this tablet as it is fanless and the battery lasts very long...
    Could you tell the exact model of the tablet you used? Did you have any issues to install/run the whole setup?

Thanks,

Alfredo

Quote Originally Posted by cletero View Post
    Hi Beernuts,

Could you tell the exact model of the tablet you used? Did you have any issues to install/run the whole setup?

Thanks,

Alfredo
    He is not a very active member and that post is over one year old, but the answer in the part you quoted...

"10' Asus Tablet with touch screen and Win8"

I think he meant 10" not 10'... anyway, today you can get even better ones, but the UC100 isn't that demanding. I am using the UC300 with a 2 year old HP ProBook laptop with i5 and Win7 pro and it works just fine. The UC100 is I believe very similar except that it has only one port, so it is less flexible.

Hi,

Thanks! What I actually find are a number of Asus models with that description, just wanted to be sure, but if in fact the software is not too demanding I guess any will work. Thanks also for the HP laptop comment, I was also considering one of those, which ever comes cheaper he he

Have a nice day,

Alfredo

Now here's a guy (philipG) who comes on the forum cryin about a vendors products. The vendor takes care of him, and the op blows the vendor off. WTF?? Is that the way you would like to be treated? People like you ruin it for us! Give him the old board back! I imagine it may show signs of installer error, huh?

Page 1 of 2 12