584,817 active members*
5,264 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Haas Mini Mill

Hello, I am new to this forum and also to CNC milling machines. I have experience with gantry style routers (multicam) but I have several product ideas that I would like to prototype and produce/market. My previous experience with industrial equipment (grand format printing/display manufacturing) leads me to never skimp even when entering a new direction. Thus with all my research I have decided on a minimill 2, just wanted hear any thoughts before I pull the trigger. Thanks in advance.

If you don't want to skimp, then this is what I would recommend.

CNC Vertical Machining Centers, Performance Vertical Milling | Hurco

Thanks for the link, I believe the Hurco machine centers are out of my price range for a starter machine. When I stated "skimp" my intention was to purchase a
    system that I could use for production that would be in the 50-60K region. I did not want to start with a Tormach or similar unit. Haas seems to have good customer
    support and service which is key.

Get a quote on one of these with the Max control. Can't hurt to contact them and find out. You may be pleasantly surprised on price.

CNC Vertical Machining Centers & Vertical Milling Machines | Hurco

I got quotes from Haas and Hurco and ended up the best value was with the Hurco machine. Hurco's are very easy to learn on and have good customer support and service also. They have been around longer then Haas has.

Thanks, I'm going to look at the Hurco VM5i, although I think this machine starts at 60K and goes up fast with options.

They will negotiate with pricing also. I got them to throw in some extra options at no extra cost. Also if you look at the MAX controls, it does not remind you of the cockpit of a 747 like the Haas controls.

LOL.! good one. I am going to contact the Hurco sales rep in the area tomorrow, let you know what happens. Want kind of machine do you have? Did you buy it new, cost and options? If that's not too personal of a question to be asked on a forum.

I purchased a VM2 with MAX controls new in 04 which is similar in specs to the new VM20 now. Allot more capacity then the VM5i that your looking at. It was 60K with flood coolant, chip auger, optional work lights, Rigid tapping and Industry Standard NC (Fanuc cam g-code programming) There conversational programming is so easy, I hardly ever used that option even on very complex programming jobs. That price included shipping also. I added a 4th axis later for 10K which included them installing all the wiring and control boards.

Here is a video of a one off repair job I did with my VM2. I could not believe the tolerances I was holding with this machine.

356 Porsche Case halves 3D Machined Hurco VM2 - YouTube

Thanks for sharing, if I can get the VM5i for 60K with the options i'm looking for it will be a serious competitor to the Hass Minimill. Funny thing, I currently drive a Porsche 2006 Carrera 4! I think the conversational programming that Hurco offers may be the ticket since i'm just getting into this.

Well I'm curious. What did you find out and decide after researching the Hurco machine?

Well, I went to go see the VM5i, and while its a nice machine the prices of Hurco's have gone up since you purchased one. I liked the side mounted tool changer
    (comes standard) the conversational programming, the overall build quality (very heavy for a small machine). But boy, with any good selection of options and the price
    climbs quickly. With the Haas I felt that I would get training and support on the machine that was more becoming of a novice that is entering into this field. The Haas
    factory outlet is only 15 miles away and I get complimentary training with purchase of a new machine. The minimill 2 that I am getting is very well equipped for a few
    thousand more than the base Hurco VM5i. It will have: High speed machining, Probe, rigid tapping, programmable coolant, 4th axis drive, expanded memory, upgraded coolant pump, . Any thoughts?

So what you found out is that your not comparing apples to apples and was impressed with the Hurco, but sticker shock set in. Did you show the Haas quote to the Hurco rep? I believe they would have re-quoted. Negotiate/haggle with them. I understand the training is a big selling point and in my opinion, you being a novice, you will need it with the Haas machine!

Hurco gave me 3 days in house training with my purchase. I already had a 1980 Hurco MB-1 with ATC, so he only had to spend half of a day at my shop and was gone. The transition from old Hurco to new was flawless even though there was a 24 year span in the two machines.

I myself have no personal experience with Haas machines other then a friend of mine purchased 2 older used ones. A lathe and a mill around mid 90's models. I remember when he was looking at buying these machines I tried convincing him to checkout my Hurco mill first because there are very easy to learn on. He had never done any CNC work or programming before, just manual machining. Well, he decided on the Haas machines. I helped him set them up in his shop, but they were so complicated, I stayed away from doing any operating or programming on them. This was about 4 years ago and he still is struggling with running and programming those darn complicated machines. I'm sure they have come a long way since those models and are allot easier now. I heard they have some sort of Conversational programming on them, but can not call it that because it is a Hurco innovation and term.

You need to do what's best for your situation and wallet, but I'm glad you did at least check out the Hurco first. :cheers:

We have a Haas Mini Mill in our shop great little machine the software is easy learn.
    It has never let us down Support is great for the money you cant go wrong
    They have intuitive software that makes it easy for learning I think you would
    be happy. Good luck with your purchase.