584,830 active members*
5,750 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Smile I could use input on a number (sorry!) of questions?

Howdy,

I am working up a cost estimate for my entry into the laser engraving hobby/business. As I understand things, I need the following things alongside a laser device to be properly set up in my shop (who am i kidding? My already overstuffed garage….)

These are the thingsI think I need:
    • A clear shot to a four inch diameter venting hole in the wall/ceiling to the outside
    • A motor for sucking out the volatiles to the outside.
    • A dedicated 15 amp circuit for laser and pump motor and compressor.
    • I am expecting to purchase/lease an Epilog compressor for a 40 watt zing 24.

40 watt zing 24: $11,995.00
    Air Assist Comp: $300.00
    Dedicated 15 amp circuit (panel upgrade?) $???
    Air suction pump $???
    Halotron fire extinguisher $???

Total
    $12,295.00+

If anyone has some suggestions for a solid exhaust pump, I would be much obliged to hear about it! Can they as a rule be cycled multiple times in a day?

Also, I am drawn to the Epilog series primarily based upon it's being designed and built in the USA. So far I have been unsuccessful in finding another US designer/manufacturer. Are there others out there?

Also, how satisfied are you with your Epilog laser?
    Would you purchase another Epilog based upon your experience?
    Have you run into any surprising (read: disappointing) quality issues?
    How reliable has your device turned out to be for you?

If you have had the energy and patience to read through this and then reply, thanks so much!

With kind regards,

Steve O'Sullivan
    [email protected]

I don't believe the Epilogs are built in the US. Maybe some parts but not all.

Hurricane takes parts from China and adds US parts and is a whole lot cheaper.

Other US lasers that I know about are Trotec and Universal Laser.

I have no experience with any of these. But I'm sure the Chinese ladys from GWeike will be along shortly to tell you about their products.

I'm looking for one as well and am leaning towards GWeike or Hurricane myself.

@sosullivan,as long as you can accept the price, Epilog will be a good choice

Quote Originally Posted by sosullivan View Post
    Howdy,

I am working up a cost estimate for my entry into the laser engraving hobby/business. As I understand things, I need the following things alongside a laser device to be properly set up in my shop (who am i kidding? My already overstuffed garage….)

These are the thingsI think I need:
    • A clear shot to a four inch diameter venting hole in the wall/ceiling to the outside
    • A motor for sucking out the volatiles to the outside.
    • A dedicated 15 amp circuit for laser and pump motor and compressor.
    • I am expecting to purchase/lease an Epilog compressor for a 40 watt zing 24.

40 watt zing 24: $11,995.00
    Air Assist Comp: $300.00
    Dedicated 15 amp circuit (panel upgrade?) $???
    Air suction pump $???
    Halotron fire extinguisher $???

Total
    $12,295.00+

If anyone has some suggestions for a solid exhaust pump, I would be much obliged to hear about it! Can they as a rule be cycled multiple times in a day?

Also, I am drawn to the Epilog series primarily based upon it's being designed and built in the USA. So far I have been unsuccessful in finding another US designer/manufacturer. Are there others out there?

Also, how satisfied are you with your Epilog laser?
    Would you purchase another Epilog based upon your experience?
    Have you run into any surprising (read: disappointing) quality issues?
    How reliable has your device turned out to be for you?

If you have had the energy and patience to read through this and then reply, thanks so much!

With kind regards,

Steve O'Sullivan
    [email protected]

Steve,
    I do not work for Gwekie but I did just purchase the 1290 that they sell. I bought just about every accessory they offered two different 4 axis rotary units, large chiller unit, lens, auto focus, air assist, 80 watt laser plus back up 80 watt tube. The machine is a 900mm x 1200mm size. I can tell you I paid less than half of what you are stating for price all said and done. They have great service, I email them and have an answer almost immediately depending on the time of day. I have had little to no problems figuring it out and anything I ask someone can answer very quickly. I can tell you I took a hard look at the epilog myself. I played with them at two different trade shows and i can say other than the software that runs them there is very little differences in the two machines. There are really not much to laser machines as far as hardware goes. I would be happy to speak with you on the phone about my machine if you were interested.

Brandon