585,766 active members*
4,014 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Mastercam X4 - stl stock problem

Unhappy Mastercam X4 - stl stock problem

Hello Forum,

I have a problem importing a stock (.stl) into Mastercam X4 created by Solidworks 2012 X64. The stock imports above the parasolid model. The coordinate systems, both created in Solidworks dont even line up. The orientation is correct, but thats all. I did not have this problem using Solidworks 2010 x32. Anybody else experience this or have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Wayja

I just tried an experiment. I loaded older Solidworks 2010 models with.stl stocks into Mastercam X4 and the coordinate systems worked fine. Stock matched model. I loaded the same two files into Solidworks 2012 X64, and loaded them into Mastercam X4. Stock floats above model. What is going on here? I am going to post this into the Solidworks forum also.

Thank you,

Wayja

can you sahre the spolid model and the STL that is giving you the issue. I still have X4 loaded on this box for a short time/ I try to keep no more then 3 versions on my main box.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

I tried attaching files, but it wont let me. I will keep trying

Cadcam,

I am unable to attach files. Cam I PM them to you?

Smile

Cadcam,

I managed to get a couple of test files made in Solidworks 2012 x64, zipped and attached. Please let me know if you are successful in loading the stock file in the right place with Mastercam X4.

Thank you for your help.

I am starting my review and so you know that X4 can not open a 2012 SW file. So I will open it and save a a step to bring back to x4.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

ok after going thru both your files in Solid works 2013 SP3 they are not using the same origin so right there is an issue. So if you are going to make a STL for stock needs to be in the same planes. But you do not have to make a STL just take the sold in to MC and use that as the stock. you have the option to pick Solid.
    Cadcam

Hello Cadcam,

I used to be able to use a stock with a different plane than the part in Solidworks 2010. I created a new part, saved to parasolid binary and stock, saved to stl with the same planes and coordinate system. Still the stl stock does not line up with the part in Mastercam X4. Can you try these test files and see what results you get?

Thank you,

Wayja
    Attached Files Attached Files

UPDATE:
    I loaded some old Solidworks 2010 created parasolids with stock stl files into Mastercam X4. They worked perfectly. I loaded them into Solidworks 2012 saved them and tried again and they did not work. The stock "hovers" over the part. Anyone else have this trouble? Is Mastercam X4 not compatible with Solidworks 2012?

Sorry, no . SW2012 is a later software to MCX4.......
    very similar to having Mastercam V9 NOT compatible to Win7.... you may be able to get it to run, but there will be issues

This thread was put up last month
    - Cadcam answers your question as to "version compatibility"

LINK

Thank you for the info. I have no problems except the stock issue. I guess I will need to upgrade Mastercam or downgrade Solidworks.