586,011 active members*
4,013 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

yet another carriage block redo?

I've been slowly working on the momus v2 build. a couple of weeks ago the first carriage block assembly went perfectly: part 16 was perpendicular to part 13 after driving the tension pins. then I drilled holes the tension pins for part 17. it was still perpendicular and I drove the tension pins home.....it was obviously out of square--measuring indicated about 50mils out. I didn't want to pry the parts apart and drill 3/16" holes on opposite diagonals and I didn't have extra aluminum. Therefore, I decided to order some extra Al and also decided to buy some 2" and 0.625" stock to used as a jig to clamp parts 16 and 17 together while drilling holes for and driving the pins.

tonight I assembled the lower, left, and right carriage blocks with the 2.625" spacer Al. Excellent outcome. well, that is until I noticed that I had assembled it with the lower carriage block's 1/4-20 bearing block holes (for part 14) offset toward the front instead of toward the back.

so, the questions arise: will this offset pose to be problematic. If so, I have the option of making three new parts (13, 16, & 17) or pounding out the tension pins and drilling new holes. would there be enough material left (strength) if I drill new 3/16" holes on opposite diagonals? (The former is probably acceptable.) what would you do?

much appreciated.
    greg
    kimnach.org

Hey Greg, I made a similar mistake with my build also. From what I can see if part #14 is not in the right place, the bearings will not ride on #11 (Y rail) properly and one may even miss it completely.

I would tackle removing the pins. It is a bit of a headache without a press. I managed to get mine apart using a large vise, a short piece drill rod (slightly smaller than the pin and ground flat on both ends), and a socket with a hole slightly bigger than the pin. An extra pair of hands make it easier!

Another option may be to remake the two part 14's, but make them a little longer and offset the holes so the bearings will be in the right place again. This may be the easiest option!

Regards, Nick.