585,877 active members*
3,722 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

HAAS TL-2 Chuck

I am a new machinist who recently had my first crash, i don't know how else to put it but the part came out of the chuck and damaged part of the chuck. This was last friday 5/3/2013, and i had looked at the chuck, and jaws and found no series damage, a little bit of the ss i was cutting got stuck to a jaw, but it was still on center. Then today 5/7/2013 the chuck had release a second part and did some more damage. I am starting to think that the jaws or the scroll system inside the chuck might be bad. How would i know? Also where would a good place to buy jaws for a ten inch chuck?

More info is needed.

I see you are cutting Stainless, but what size parts, how far does it stick out, but what depth of cut, what RPM (too high=will open jaws)(too low would cause the part to be pulled from the jaws), steel jaws or aluminum soft jaws, how deep is the part into the jaws, what tool.

Steel jaws and soft jaws are both available on eBay and many tooling dealers.
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Quote Originally Posted by Machineit View Post
    More info is needed.

I see you are cutting Stainless, but what size parts, how far does it stick out, but what depth of cut, what RPM (too high=will open jaws)(too low would cause the part to be pulled from the jaws), steel jaws or aluminum soft jaws, how deep is the part into the jaws, what tool.

Steel jaws and soft jaws are both available on eBay and many tooling dealers.
    All excellent points

Quote Originally Posted by Cody.Chandler View Post
    I am a new machinist who recently had my first crash, i don't know how else to put it but the part came out of the chuck and damaged part of the chuck. This was last friday 5/3/2013, and i had looked at the chuck, and jaws and found no series damage, a little bit of the ss i was cutting got stuck to a jaw, but it was still on center. Then today 5/7/2013 the chuck had release a second part and did some more damage. I am starting to think that the jaws or the scroll system inside the chuck might be bad. How would i know? Also where would a good place to buy jaws for a ten inch chuck?
    Cody, there can be many factors that cause a part to come out of the chuck jaws as Machineit pointed out. You mentioned that you are a "new machinist"; how new, any past experience with a lathe.
    Please describe in DETAIL how you are holding your part. If using machinable soft jaws, provide a DETAILED description of how you are machining them and how you set your diameter.

Are you getting the hint, details are important here since you are the only one who can see your setup.

Why is it that they seem never to get back to us with the details and solve the problem!?!?!?!?!?

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Quote Originally Posted by Machineit View Post
    Why is it that they seem never to get back to us with the details and solve the problem!?!?!?!?!?

Mike
    Because he's looking for a new job maybe??

Quote Originally Posted by fizzissist View Post
    Because he's looking for a new job maybe??

What brand is your chuck? I ask you this because my new TL-2 came with a 10" 3-jaw Atlas chuck, it's jaws where 0.003" off centre (almost 2 months trying to figure out the problem), tech support came, checked the spindle, re-aligned the chuck and the 0.003" remained, so they changed it for a new one (also Atlas) and it had the EXACT same defect, now I'm waiting for the replacement which they say is from a different manufacturer, the tech guy told me there's been QC problems with the Atlas chucks.