585,926 active members*
3,607 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Battery Backup (UPS) for the Tormach computer

Battery Backup (UPS) for the Tormach computer

If this has been discussed previously I would appreciate a link to the thread.

I want to attach an UPS to my Tormach computer so if I lose power at least the computer will stay on and I can shutdown normally.
    Questions:
    1. If I just take the normal 120 vac power cord coming out of the Tormach and connect to the UPS the pro is that the computer switch on the control panel will work normally and I will be protected. The con is that if the power goes down the coolant pump will drain the UPS. And there is the possibility that the pump will draw more then the size of the UPS and damage it. (With the instructions for the UPS it warns about such a possibility). So does any one know what the power usage of the pump is or what is the horsepower of the pump motor.

2. I could disconnect the computer and monitor from the Tormach system and plug them directly into the UPS. Pro is that the pump is not on the UPS. Con is that you can no longer turn the computer and monitor on and off from the Tormach panel.

3. Rewire the Tormach control box to separate the pump and computer switches and give each a separate power cord. Pro you get everything you want. Con is that you could void the warranty.

Looking for answers to my questions and also if others are using a UPS or anything else you can share about the subject.

Lynn,
    I have one on my 120 volt input line, the last power outage it worked fine, the machine went down but the computer stayed up.

I just checked and the coolant pump stays on, however my battery backup has 3 receptacles that are on the battery backup and 3 that are not, maybe just use one of those that arent backed up for the machine 120 volt line.

Edit: I bought my backup supply used from a computer store, I believe it cost about 10 bucks!
    mike sr

I'm running an Industrial UPS, but have never lost power yet, but its no different than pulling the 220v from you mill and leaving 120v plugged in.

Thanks
    What is the size of your UPS, please?

Quote Originally Posted by LRF View Post
    Thanks
    What is the size of your UPS, please?
    Lynn,

Mine is an ES 350, it has one 12v 7amp gel cell in it, it was a used one so I dont know much about it, and I dont know how long it will keep the computer running, I havent tested that.
    The monitor would also have to be plugged into one of the backup receptacles as well.
    mike sr

I have a couple UPSs (a 1500, and a 1250) around my place. Since the batteries are somewhat short lived, and expensive to replace (they also have a tendency to burst and make a huge mess if left inside to die!).... I set up a central battery bank, and ran cables to each UPS.

With two large (group 27?) cells, my run time on one machine is... Uhhhh... 6? 8? Hrs. I got bored waiting for the test to finish running!

I've got one more UPS to add, a 3000va. When I bring that one online, I'll be switching over to a pair of 8D batteries (might even use all 4 ive got) that make the other ones look like motorcycle batteries!

Why not just get a pure signwave inverter that can handle serious loads if you have those batteries? Why pay for UPS technology if you don't have to. (1500watts+)

Good timing at an auction; pallet of UPS's with dead batteries in them for next to nothing.
    Years later, job that gives source of 90% good 8D batteries (free!).
    Plus a few bucks of wire, some terminals etc.... = Whole whack-o-power for about next to nothing!

(would I actively buy all that retail and put it together that way? Of course not)

Sweet! Time to go off the grid!