585,581 active members*
3,857 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > 0.4 kW air cooled spindle with 110v Delta VFD
Page 1 of 3 123

0.4 kW air cooled spindle with 110v Delta VFD

Just received a 0.4kW air cooled spindle and a 110v Delta VFD from UgraCNC.
    GMT Air Cooled CNC Spindle 0.40 kW 220 V S | SQUARE CNC SPINDLES | CNC SPINDLES | UgraCNC.com
    http://ugracnc.com/CNC-SPINDLES/Delt...75kW-110V.html

I am going to use this spindle to replace the Kress spindle I'm currently using. While the Kress has been working fine, I just installed its fifth set of brushes. It seems I get about 200 hrs of use from each set of brushes. Although its not that big of a hassle to replace brushes, I thought it would be nice to have a real VFD controlled spindle in my small router. http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy_cn...ter_build.html

I decided to go with the UGRACNC spindle because I've heard reports that Andy's spindles have worked well for others. It was a little more expensive but I thought it would be worth it to get something that is very likely to work well. Andy states on his web site that all spindles are tested before shipping and all have less than .001" runout. UGRACNC has a whole bunch of spindles undergoing tests on YouTube.

I was thinking about the 0.4kW and 0.8kW spindles. When I discovered that the 0.4kW spindle has a 43 mm nose (exactly the size of the Kress) making it a drop in replacement in my system, I was sold.

Here's a picture of the spindle and Kress side by side:
    Attachment 183908
    The Kress is a little bigger than the spindle but the spindle weighs a little more.

Here's the spindle installed in the mount that I made for the Kress:
    Attachment 183910
    Fits perfectly!!!

Here's a tag on the spindle similar to the ones Andy posted on YouTube:
    Attachment 183912
    When I looked on YouTube.com, I couldn't see my spindle being tested. (I'm going to email Andy and ask about that tonight.)

Here's a photo of the documentation for the Delta VFD:
    Attachment 183914
    Yikes! It's the Chinese version! I certainly can't read it.

After a few minutes of consternation, I found an English version on line at: http://www.deltaacdrives.com/wp-cont...ser-Manual.pdf
    Attachment 183916
    173 pages. Clearly I need to do some reading.

Here's the documentation that came with the spindle:
    Attachment 183918
    More Chinese but the connections look straightforward. Don't think this will be a big deal.

Bought 16/4 Continuous Flex MultiConductor shielded 1000VAC oil resistant cable from McMaster http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/119/802/=mnmgxv because UgraCNC was out of cable when I bought the spindle and VFD from them.

Since the Kress works fine (and has a new set of brushes), I'm in no hurry to get the spindle installed. Thought that I'd post this hoping that others with more experience will point out potential pitfalls that I can then avoid as I integrate the spindle into my system. Also thought that others contemplating replacing a Kress spindle with something else might find this interesting.

Wrote to Andy last night asking if he had posted a YouTube video of my spindle. Here it is:
    Don Fr. Spindle test - YouTube

Andy also said "I programmed the VFD for your spindle. So you do not need to do any
    programming." cool!!!!

I'm still going to read the manual.

Connected the Spindle to the VFD and the VFD to 110v AC power. The diagrams were very clear about the proper power connections between the spindle and the VFD. The power input connections to the VFD were labeled for 3 phase input. Since I'm using single phase 110v, I assumed that the line and neutral connections are interchangeable. There was only one ground connection to the VFD so I connected my 110 power ground, the spindle ground, the cable shielding, and the VFD ground together.

Since Andy had preprogrammed the VFD, I just plugged it in and it worked.

I have a power meter which shows power consumption by the VFD and spindle to be 110 watts at about 14k rpm cutting air.

I've run the spindle for several hours starting at about 6k rpms and gradually increasing the speed. It gets fairly warm but not too hot to touch.

Here are some photos:
    Attachment 184476 Attachment 184478 Attachment 184480 Attachment 184482

Now need to:

1. get 1/4" and 1/8" ER-11 collets so I can cut a project
    2. Mount the VFD in my system
    3. Get the VFD under Mach 3 control

Nice, you should be able to see the amp draw on the vfd display too. Techniks makes decent collets at a good price. I like to put a film of anti seize between the collet mating surfaces too, keeps the nut from galling the front of the collet. And check the torque specs for tightening, it doesn't take much to get a good grip, and if you overtighten you can introduce runout and ruin the nut and collet. How loud is it compared to the kress?

Sent from tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dylwad View Post
    Nice, you should be able to see the amp draw on the vfd display too. Techniks makes decent collets at a good price. I like to put a film of anti seize between the collet mating surfaces too, keeps the nut from galling the front of the collet. And check the torque specs for tightening, it doesn't take much to get a good grip, and if you overtighten you can introduce runout and ruin the nut and collet.
    Thanks. I didn't know about torque specs. Sounds like about 20 ft/lbs. Here's a link: “Power Coat” ER Collet Nuts

How loud is it compared to the kress?
    They seem to be about the same but I have a "sound level meter" and will measure how loud they are and post results.

Took all afternoon, but I got the VFD mounted in my enclosure. I added an on off switch so I can conveniently turn the VFD off when I'm shutting my system down. I have a UPS supplying my computer, spindle, and controls so I can't just unplug my whole system.

I did some sound measurements of the VFD driven spindle inside my enclosure (which has sound baffles). I closed the door and took measurements about 18 inches in front of the door.

spindle speed sound measurement
    ....12k rpm..............57 db
    ....18k rpm..............60 db
    ....24k rpm..............70 db

I think this is quieter than the Kress spindle but I'm too tired to mount put the Kress in my enclosure to make the measurements tonight. Will do that tomorrow.

Here are a couple of photos:

Attachment 184520 Attachment 184522

Still have to put the VFD under Mach 3 control via my G540 control board. If anyone has hints to help me do this I'd be most grateful.

Did sound measurements of both spindles today. At speeds I use, the Kress spindle is a little quieter than the VFD driven spindle. But both are fairly quiet.

Here the results: sound level measured with a Radio Shack "Sound Level Meter" set to "A" weighting and "slow" response. Tested in my enclosure, spindle secured in mount, enclosure door closed, about 18" in front of door, "cutting" air.

Kress speed setting.......RPM.....Kress Sound Level.....VFD Spindle Sound Level
    .......1......................10,000............55 db.......................<50 db
    .......2......................12,600............57 db.........................56 db
    .......3......................17,000............61 db.........................62 db
    .......4......................21,000............64 db.........................70 db

I think these sound measurements are accurate. For reference: the sound of my voice measured 70 db, my Fein vacuum meaured 72 db (advertised at 60 db), and my 3HP table saw running without cutting measured 83 db.

Was looking a the ugracnc.com website last night and realized that the English version of the Delta VFD documentation is available as a pdf file on their website. Thought I'd point that out. No need to look for it elsewhere on the web as I did. I also note that the documentation I downloaded is older than what Andy has on his website.

This might be a good addon for the CNC 3040 that I ordered. Does it have electronics to control the spindle speeds?

Quote Originally Posted by thatotherguy View Post
    This might be a good addon for the CNC 3040 that I ordered. Does it have electronics to control the spindle speeds?
    Sure does! Right now I control spindle speed manually by turning a pot. I have ordered cabling so I will be able to turn the spindle on and off and control the spindle speed with Mach 3 via my G540 controller. I'll post it as soon as I get that done.

Any recommendations for price effective spindle controllers for Mach 3?

Any recommendations for price effective spindle controllers for Mach 3?
    Just about any VFD the right size for the spindle will work. Better to get a name brand like Hitachi or Delta, or anything that automation direct sells. I would stay away from the cheap Chinese Ebay stuff for the vfd, the Ebay Chinese spindles are generally good though.

Sent from tapatalk

Just about any VFD the right size for the spindle will work. Better to get a name brand like Hitachi or Delta, or anything that automation direct sells. I would stay away from the cheap Chinese Ebay stuff for the vfd, the Ebay Chinese spindles are generally good though.

Sent from tapatalk
    I just need a cheap water cooled spindle and china might be the way to go for my first Desktop CNC Machine. If I really get more into this I will build a better enhanced version.

I just need a cheap water cooled spindle and china might be the way to go for my first Desktop CNC Machine. If I really get more into this I will build a better enhanced version.
    If your handy enough to build a router you can easily work on a Chinese spindle. I disassembled mine (2.2kw from solar Jean) and gave it a good once over, changed the power plug to a better one, checked the bearings, cleaned and oiled the ground bearing surfaces, loctited everything, grounded it properly and re-sealed the rear cap with good silicone. It's been trouble free for over a year now, gets a good 4+ hours per day of use, never gets more than a few degrees over ambient.

A pro grade spindle will cost more than the rest of the machine if you built it from parts.

Induction spindles are dead simple motors, the higher price for a pro grade is mostly in the bearings, and the tighter tolerances needed to keep from killing a $1500+ set of matched angular contact bearings.

Sent from tapatalk

Gentlemen,

I would not recommend disassembling spindles unless it is absolutely necessary.

I doubt that every spindle factory does that but at GMT factory spindles get balanced after assembling.
    Disassembling may cause disbalance, increase vibration and so shorten the lifetime of bearings and tools.

Please see the picture I took during my recent visit to GMT Spindle Factory in China:

Attachment 184826

They pay a very high attention to performing every operation properly and strictly control quality at every step.
    They balance rotors before assembling and then balance the whole spindle once again.

They do not recommend disassembling...:nono:

Regards,

Andy
    http://UgraCNC.com

Which Supplier from China should I go with?

Quote Originally Posted by UgraCNC View Post
    Gentlemen,

I would not recommend disassembling spindles unless it is absolutely necessary.

I doubt that every spindle factory does that but at GMT factory spindles get balanced after assembling.
    Disassembling may cause disbalance, increase vibration and so shorten the lifetime of bearings and tools.

Please see the picture I took during my recent visit to GMT Spindle Factory in China:

Attachment 184826

They pay a very high attention to performing every operation properly and strictly control quality at every step.
    They balance rotors before assembling and then balance the whole spindle once again.

They do not recommend disassembling...:nono:

Regards,

Andy

Which Supplier from China should I go with?
    It is up to you.

If the price is the only concern then you can buy a cheap spindle on eBay from a Chinese seller. You may or may not get a good spindle. It is a lottery with a good chance to win.
    Probably you will get a perfect motor with German bearings, 2 years warranty, easy return, and in addition their ISO 9001 certificate. (Not)

If you (like Don Frambach) are not willing to wait for long time shipping from China and need for sure a good spindle then buy from UgraCNC.com and pay some more money.
    http://UgraCNC.com

Got the 1/8" and 1/4" ER-11 collets so I can cut my first project. The VFD is not yet connected to the G540 to put it under Mach 3 control. Using the spindle manually seems to be working well. Here's a video:

New Spindle Video - YouTube

Not sure if it makes any difference, but I added two ferrite filters between the VFD and my 110v power. Got the ferrites from Soigeneris when I was ordering their 3 wire shielded cable. Here's a link: http://www.soigeneris.com/filters_an...ites-list.aspx

Three photos:
    Attachment 185380 Attachment 185382 Attachment 185384

Yikes!! Broke a 1/4" deep reach bit last night. Final operation to cut out a 1 1/4" plaque. Taking very shallow cuts .05" at 30"/minute about 15k rpm. Was unwitnessed, but I think the bit slipped in the collet. Bit shattered. Workpiece ruined. The spindle and router itself seem OK. Will do more testing of router and spindle tonight. Need to be very careful when installing bits in the new spindle!

Page 1 of 3 123