585,908 active members*
3,588 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > Basic questions about Bridgeport VMC1000 with Heidenhain control

Basic questions about Bridgeport VMC1000 with Heidenhain control

Hello,
    I have a small racecar shop with a Bridgeport VMC1000 / 20 using a Heidenhain TNC 2500 B controller.
    Our machinist quit and moved back to his home state.
    My first question is, can this machine be operated in a manual mode, more or less like a standard mill with digital readout?
    I've seen where I can set it into manual mode to move the X-Y-Z axis, but have no idea how to start the spindle, change a tool or turn on the coolant system, or if it's possible.
    Any help or input is appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    Regards,
    Sean

Not really an efficient way to use the Heidenhain. But this may help

In the manual window you will see on the left x y z m s down the side next to the softkeys you may have to scroll up and down to see them all

I guess you know how to Home (traverse reference points) and reset shot bolt to start the machine up??

to start the spindle enter a speed in with the S button

then press m and 3

Cycle start button

This is from memory I'm a bit rusty

Find the manual if you can it's all in there.... you are looking for the MDI modes

Wayne....

Thanks.
    That got the spindle moving and I can change tools.
    We are looking for the manuals, but have not found them yet.
    How can I rotate the tool changer and get the other tools out?
    In regard to not being the best way to use the machine, I agree.
    I have a couple ads out looking for another machinist and I'd just like to be able to still use the machine until we get a real CNC guy in here to use it.
    The other mill we have is a 9x42 knee mill without a DRO.
    Thanks for your help so far.
    Any input on getting the other tools out of the changer?
    Regards,
    Sean

Glad that got you going..

If I recall correctly you can unclamp the tool from the button on the z axis.

to retract the spindle to toolchange position enter

M25 and cycle start

then you should be able to unclamp.

I dont think you can do an auto toolchange in manual mode...

from a program you just do

TOOL CALL tool# Sspindle_speed
    M6

ie TOOL CALL 1 S2000
    M6

It may be possible to do the tool call manually and issue the M6.

Thats all assuming you are running the machine in Heidenhain mode. It is possible to run it with Gcodes too.

Sorry cant be much more help. I dont have one in front of me anymore.

Wayne....

p.s you can download the manuals in pdf form from heidenhain if I recall correctly.

tool call

Just go into your MDI Mode, it's a soft key on the controller. press the soft key for tool call enter the number tool you want and enter a spindle speed and you might need a z ref.

There is a way to get to a mode where the head is out of the way, the tool changer is forward, and you can index the tool carosel and remove all the tools. I would have to find the operating manual for the procedure.
    Or you can do a tool call for each tool and then remove it from the spindle. You will need the manuals for your next CNC machinist as the TNC is not that common.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Heidenhain manuals

Here the link for the control manual TNC2500 from Hiedenhain.
    http://filebase.heidenhain.de/doku/o...b/25358820.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by machintek
    Or you can do a tool call for each tool and then remove it from the spindle. You will need the manuals for your next CNC machinist as the TNC is not that common.
    Common as muck here in the UK! But then a lot of Bridgeport VMC's are made here, and it seems most get Heidenhain controls. Last place I worked had 4, 1 with 2500, 2 with 370 and one with a 410 TNC control. The 410 machine was faaaast!

I just just dont use em anymore, At least he's kind of running now..

Wayne....

email me

Quote Originally Posted by Roe Racing
    Hello,
    I have a small racecar shop with a Bridgeport VMC1000 / 20 using a Heidenhain TNC 2500 B controller.
    Our machinist quit and moved back to his home state.
    My first question is, can this machine be operated in a manual mode, more or less like a standard mill with digital readout?
    I've seen where I can set it into manual mode to move the X-Y-Z axis, but have no idea how to start the spindle, change a tool or turn on the coolant system, or if it's possible.
    Any help or input is appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    Regards,
    Sean
    i work one of these machines daily!

i also write programs too for 2d work and also 3d ie ramping angles and rads ect! can i be of any help??? contact me on [email protected]

Yes, the Heidenhain is very common across the pond. Not as common here.

From the Operating and Programming manual by Bridgeport for the VMC1000/20, part number 1801017 FEB 1992:

To manually load and unload the tool magazine:
    Select MANUAL operation.
    Depress STOP key.
    respond to dialogue question with a M06.
    Depress enter key.
    Depress the CYCLE START button.

This will initiate a tool change but stop the machine with the quill up, and the tool magazine forward beneath the spindle. The magazine can be rotated by the button on the head and tools removed or inserted.

When finished close the guard doors and press the CYCLE START key again. The head will come down on the tool beneath it and the magazine will retract.

george
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Dear fdos,

Sorry for replying on an old thread...

I have a machine with TNC 370, and recently I have been getting a message Guard Shot-Bolt Not Locked. The machine hangs, the spindle drive becomes off. On Restarting I give a Manual M6, and I see the spindle is not orienting for Tool Change, and the Controller shows the same message ``Guard Shot-Bolt Not Locked''. I restart the machine, and after a couple of restarts, and putting the machine in and out of Emergency Stop the message goes away.

What does a Guard Shot-Bolt mean? What should I check for?

Thanks!!

ASD

I believe the door interlock is at fault.
    It has a switch to know if the door is open or closed.
    If the door is closed and the spindle turned ON, it shoots a pin out via a electrical solenoid to lock the door and this state of things also has a switch to verify the door it locked.
    Believe there is your problem. Either the pin is not coming out or if it is, it is not verified.

George

George, thanks for the lead!

I will check the solenoid of the Door.

Regards,

ASD

I am sure its the door switch problem.
    There are some switches inside the door lock unit which in some cases is faulty and unserviceable. So we just bypass the switch by putting a jumper wire inside the cabinet, and at the same time modify parameter MP4030.0 to 1.