584,837 active members*
5,145 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mixing steppers and servos...

I'm building a wood router, and am using steppers with Gecko's. I happened on an incredible deal for a 600 oz brushed DC servo. I would like to use the servo for my x axis, and steppers on the others. I plan on driving it with a gecko 320 also. Does Mach not care, or would I have to specify somewhere? As long as all the axis are on step signals, and I have the steps per inch set right, I wouldn't think it'd matter. But please, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm using brushed DC servos for my X and Y axis+Gecko 320's, and a stepper motor+driver for my Z, so far without any kind of trouble. You don't have to specify it anywhere, the only important thing is the motor setup, you have to specify the unit/mm resolution according to the encoders in case of the servos, and according the motor in case of the steppers. You should get an interface card if don't already have one, it makes life easier.

Thanks for the reply! When you say "interface card," are you speaking of a parallel port breakout board? If so, I luckily already have one. If not, please give me an example or a link or name and I'll be sure to get one! Thanks again!

Yes, a breakout board is the same.