585,760 active members*
3,833 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Cincinnati CNC > New Cincinnati Arrow owner with servo error

New Cincinnati Arrow owner with servo error

Hi,

Just bought my first private cnc machine project
    I have been working with lathes, mills and turnmills for several years now, so a few months ago i decided to take my hobby to a new level. I came over a cheap "non-running" Cincinnati arrow 1000 with A2100 controll. It has a 4th axis, X,Y heidenhain scales, counterweight on Z and renishaw probe.

My experience is with okuma, makino and hermle machines with okuma-osp, fanuc and heidenhan controllers. Never heard of the a2100 controller before i bought the machine, but it looks really great for a 1999 model

The machine boots into nt4.0 and the touch screen works, but i get servo error. It has a DV5 servo board which shows an error. They have been running the machine with this error earlier. Had to do several restarts and eventully the error dissapaired, but before they sold it the error came on every boot. Cause of the age of the machine, they decided to sell it instead of fixing it.

I've cleaned up the machine and checked alot of wires. Changed 2 3volt backup button batteries because they had low voltages. Didnt lose any settings. I really don't think the dv5 card is broken, but it is beyond my knowledge to test it.

Anyone here have some tips on sometihng i could check/replace before trying a new board?
    The part number is 3-542-1340A and it is blinking red. The IO board on the right is green and shows enabled.

Error in the controller shows "44-84"
    Extended: 0x000000140

No Servo Axes Configured
    Severity 80 still in cycle

Everything else passes the diagnostic...

seeing that it did come back up at one time with multi reboots you mite have a bad hard drive , if you look around there are a few post on recovery and new drives

'no servo axis configured'...... u say u didnt loose any configuration info when u replaced those a2100 batteries?

my understanding is 1 batt is replaceable but other is not w/o loosing config data if removed w/o another batt jumpered in to prevent 0v for a second.

i think u should ask maver1ck on here or Mag field service before you spend money on new hardware. Just my opinion.

Wow, thanks for the quick response

I have a spare working harddrive, but that didnt change anything im afraid.

I tried booting up without the DV5 board also. It shows the exact same error :/
    When i powered it up after a quick battery change, it had the same/right date and time, so i figured i didnt lose any settings.
    Also didnt get any cmos or bios error.

The complete error after diagnose conv.servo failed is:
    44-84
    No servo axes configured

Cause: The servo controllers that have passed diagnostic do not have any channels configured. The system will continue to operate, but there are no servo controlled axes or spindles.

Remedy: Check the diagnostic result and replace dsc,dv7 or dv5 board.
    Verify that servo boards are in proper slots for the configured channels. Verify any profibus connections to the drive.

Thanks

Found an interesting thread from zigwareCNC in 2010:
    http://www.cnc-arena.com/en/forum/dv...d--113331.html

Looks like lost settings from RT board result in an DV5 board error? But dont understand why everything else passes...
    Is there something i could check without hooking it up to a testbench that this could be the issue?

As you discovered, if your RT Battery goes dead, your DV5/7 card won't work. This problem manifests itself differently based on what hardware/software is in your machine. If you changed the battery without taking any precautions, you more than likely lost the BIOS at that time, which will prevent your machine from running. You mentioned verifying the system date and time, but the RT Bios is not tied to the system time in the A2100, so you wouldn't be able to see it in the control. I have re-flashed the RT BIOS for many people on CNCzone, and can for you if you send me a PM with your contact information and RT Board number.

However, since you mention there was also an intermittent DV5 issue prior to this, there is no guarantee that this is only issue with your machine. From my experience, when this battery dies, the machine is running fine, and one day when attempting to turn the machine on, the alarm(s) comes up. I haven't seen it as an intermittent issue before the hard failure as you described, but then again, since I only work on the machines when they are down, I don't always have the full history on the machines either.

Thanks.

Took out the board today, but it looks like i need to find some ancient components before proceeding.

According to the motherboard manual, an atx powersupply is also supported on the G7VP2 rev b1.
    Shorting out pin 1 and 2 on jp2 pins.

Quote Originally Posted by mvas82 View Post
    Thanks.

Took out the board today, but it looks like i need to find some ancient components before proceeding.
    WHAT?? What part of Maver1cks reply did you not understand? Do you not see your solution is sending board to him who offered to reprogram if for you AS STEP NUMBER 1??

Considering where i live caused some challenges in sending him the motherboard.
    I’m going to check the bios before I go any further.

We send drives and parts back and forth to Germany all the time; it may not be as painful as you think. Just an idea.

Yes, true. Just want to make sure the bios is in fact reset before i proceed.

Forgot to reply after i did a bios re-flash on the RT-Board.
    The controller is now booting without error or faults. The red light on the DV5 controller is gone

Thanks for the help everyone.