584,841 active members*
4,402 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

80/20 torsion box and router design

I would like to create a 4'x2' router out of 8020...perhaps the 1515 heavy as it seems to be a good price point.

I am impressed with the mdf torsion box designs...could something like this be duplicated with 8020, and how would one go about it efficiently?

Are there any plans for a mostly all 8020 built router of this size, perhaps using drill rod and skate bearings or perhaps using shafting and bearings or rails and carriages.

Thanks!

Haven't seen any plans to speak of- but the nice thing is about 80/20 is its so versitle. Sorta a grown-up erector set. They have some free software/catalog for "messing with" and sorting out the materials available. If you look in the member's gallerys - System2 is an 80/20 and plastics. No torsion box but you could do one.
    I made the System1 and then System2 using 15x30 sections. System1 wasn't large enough - or stable enough to meet my needs. System2 is very close to the dimensions you mention.
    :cheers: Jim
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.