585,991 active members*
5,351 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

G code translator for Galil

Hi!

Anyone knows about a G code translator for a Galil Motion controller , besides camsoft.

Any other options ??

Galil has a translator they sell on their web site. There is also at least one other company selling host software for Galil. I read about it here on the Zone a while back. Sorry, I forgot the name of the company, but I remember it only cost about $350.

Karl

Are you looking for just the G code translator, or something that includes an operator interface?
    The Galil one is just a converter.
    Some years ago, Galil were selling an operator interface (OPINT) that unfortunately got dropped , I believe one of the reasons was it was DOS based, It was a great little interface that had alot of potential. I still use it to this day but will only work on the legacy products. If it had been developed to included G code translator it would have been great, screens can be drawn in seconds.
    The beauty of it was is, it down loads Galil native language files.

Another system to look at is the Acroloop (taken over by Parker), they have a full CNC system out called MotionMax, I have'nt had the opportunity to try it yet, but cannot speak highly enough about Acroloop cards, I have used their older DOS based CNC.
    The thing I like is the Built in PLC which is opto-isolated.
    If you find any other convertor, let us know.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

thanks

I am looking at just a simple G code translator where I can give a G code file to the transalator and it outputs an equivalent Galil Code.

The front end can be designed separately as per the application in VB.

I am hoping Karl can remember the name of the company that had the product.

dxf to gcode to Galil DMC software demo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To obtain a demo laser CAM application (named gdmc) for Galil bus-bassed servo controllers follow this link
    http://www.goldtreesystems.com/testing.htm

Though the software is evolving and has some gcode and dxf import limitations it is very capable of performing the laser cutting and engraving jobs it is designed to do.
    Currently I am developing a raster processing mode and galvanometric scanner interface. Feel free to contact me about customizing gdmc to fit your application needs.
    Thanks, George

Prcing for Software

Quote Originally Posted by gmalone
    dxf to gcode to Galil DMC software demo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To obtain a demo laser CAM application (named gdmc) for Galil bus-bassed servo controllers follow this link
    http://www.goldtreesystems.com/testing.htm

Though the software is evolving and has some gcode and dxf import limitations it is very capable of performing the laser cutting and engraving jobs it is designed to do.
    Currently I am developing a raster processing mode and galvanometric scanner interface. Feel free to contact me about customizing gdmc to fit your application needs.
    Thanks, George
    Dear george,

I had writtent to you for the pricing of your software but did not recv the same. Could you kindly reply on this and let me know. I am planning to use this with a DMC 1832 for a 3 axis application which will involve milling and routing.

regards

Sorry 'harrymen' but I did not receive your email.
    The introductory price for the gdmc application will be dependent upon the number of Galil user interest in the product and how much time it will take me to meet (or exceed) any custom user requirement specifications. For the time being, gdmc is strictly a laser cutting motion control application. For the types of tasks you want to perform you probably want to inquire about Camsoft. I figure gdmc will have a limited audience because there are not that many companies building laser cutting machines using expensive (but very robust!) Galil controllers. My goal is to be able to price gdmc in the 300-500 dollar range once I get the raster scanner working and the dxf import filter fully functional. Until that time the updated versions that are at www.goldtreesystems.com/testing.htm will be free to use. I am buying and installing a new third party dxf filter and will have a new update soon.
    I’m interested in you feedback so feel free to contact me directly: [email protected] if can be of any assistance with the demo program.

Cheers, George

dear george,

can you please send me a mail at "[email protected]"

I think you have not received the mails I have been trying to send you on the address you have mentioned.

regards

Harish

interesting program. will it work with galil 1700 series? isa bus controllers?

Quote Originally Posted by battwell View Post
    interesting program. will it work with galil 1700 series? isa bus controllers?
    The command language for the 17x0 is identical to the 18x0. And his site states he's using the drivers from galil. So, with proper drivers installed, this software wouldn't know the difference.

I guess there's a slim chance it wouldn't work due to some weird incompatability.

Karl

Smile G Code to Galil (DMC) converter

[QUOTE=Al_The_Man;140800]Are you looking for just the G code translator, or something that includes an operator interface?
    The Galil one is just a converter.
    Some years ago, Galil were selling an operator interface (OPINT) that unfortunately got dropped , I believe one of the reasons was it was DOS based, It was a great little interface that had alot of potential. I still use it to this day but will only work on the legacy products. If it had been developed to included G code translator it would have been great, screens can be drawn in seconds.
    The beauty of it was is, it down loads Galil native language files.

Hello Al,
    I just came across this post today. I would like to build a CNC machine using my Galil controller (I have a DMC 730 & a 2030). I also have some small servo drives & motors (Yaskawa SGDA-08AS with SGM-08A 3YG11). I also have a couple of old PC's that can run DOS. The bit I'm basically missing is a G Code to Galil converter, I see in this (old) post that you use one. Could you please advise where I could get a copy of this software? It is only for my home built hobby machine!
    Best Regards
    Greg

Opint only works on the legacy DMC-1000 & 600 & it is a DOS based HMI that runs Galil programs, not G code.
    I am looking at trying to write G code type commands for it.
    The only thing I have is a DXF to Galil convertor.
    If you need, PM me a email to send to.
    Al.

Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by CNC_Dude View Post

The bit I'm basically missing is a G Code to Galil converter, I see in this (old) post that you use one. Greg
    Actually I checked and I have all the utilities, including the G code to Galil.
    Al.

Albert E.

Re: G code translator for Galil

Has there been any progress on this topic since the last post, some years back? I have just converted an old (mid 1980s) Anilam system on a Bridgeport mill to a Galil 2143 controller. Short of a G-code to DMC convertor it looks like my only options are CAMsoft and Mach 3. There seems to be a widespread dislike of CAMsoft with many moving from it to Mach 3, but my initial tests with Mach 3 do not fill me with great enthusiasum.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyfoale View Post
    ... There seems to be a widespread dislike of CAMsoft with many moving from it to Mach 3, but my initial tests with Mach 3 do not fill me with great enthusiasum.
    I would disagree with this statement. Now there have been several DIY Camsoft installers that got in over their head and then blamed the software vendor on this forum. Camsoft IS difficult the learn to install correctly, STEEP learning curve. Once running right, it may be the best control out there. Certainly the most flexible.

Now if you don't rate yourself with a very high aptitude for this sort of work and aren't willing to spend the time to get over the learning curve, you should go Mach.

On another note, I've heard nothing more of Galil to Gcode.

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by tonyfoale View Post
    There seems to be a widespread dislike of CAMsoft with many moving from it to Mach 3, but my initial tests with Mach 3 do not fill me with great enthusiasum.
    I have used the Galil products since the 80's and love them, I found Camsoft a tad expensive, also the annual fee for maintenance was a stumbling block.
    IMO It is too bad that Galil did not develop their own CNC front end after Opint like Acroloop did at the beginning.
    Gcode to Galil and the DXF to Galil did not go anywhere, unfortunately.
    Al.

Albert E.

to be fair- mach3 works extremely well with galil (i have 4 machines of my own and have converted a further 12 machining centres for other people using the system.)
    it makes for a very cheap and extremely reliable machine. (one of my machines has been switched on constantly for over 2 years and makes its living daily!)
    what dont you like about mach3? it will do anything you want with the right add ons . you just need to know where and how to find them.
    with the latest plugin it will even do rigid threading perfectly.
    all my machinery is complex with 3 heads, 25 drills etc to keep track of and offset. no problem using mach3 macros.
    so much to learn, so much to pass on.

Quote Originally Posted by battwell View Post
    to be fair- mach3 works extremely well with galil ....
    Say, I've always wanted to ask a Mach over Galil expert...

How does Mach work with Galil behind the curtain? Is it just issuing steps to the galil card? Or can Mach command servos controlled by Galil?

Does Mach use Galil;s IO, limit, and home switches?

Also can Mach use the analog voltage IO? What about auxiliary encoders?

I use electronic gearing through the Galil card for tap cycles. Any way to do that with Mach?

Sorry if I asked too many questions.

Karl

mach uses its own trajectory planner and issues time slice positions to galil which it follows impeccably.
    all my machines use dumb analogue servos in torque mode.
    it uses galil i/o limit and homing sequences. (easy setup on these)
    i use the analogue i/o for lots of things . load data , max spindle load logging ,sensors blah blah. and also have 5 galil rios for a huge amount of extra distributed i/o around machine ( just ethernet cable hookup so its easy) one of my machines has near 200 i/o in use!
    mach uses gearing from spindle encoder for tapping cycles for threading etc. you can even stop the spindle and then restart and it will carry on!
    see threading on this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfnQxDPWoEQ
    spindle stopping to show that is near the 3.00 marker.
    i enquired with camsoft originally but chose mach sorry. mainly because i couldnt find any machines (complex) in the uk. and there was no free demo to look at at the time.
    im looking forward to mach4 release with the faster lua scripting.
    i would love to see some videos of camsoft running fully complex machinery. (actually making parts not just a few seconds of motion) i have a few hundred videos on youtube showing how well mach and galil behave together.)
    ps. im a hobbiest not an expert. i test the product and found many of the early bugs and reported and helped get them eliminated. im just a user of a great product to make my living which is what my machines help me to do!
    the galil plugin is written and maintained by steve murphy (with help from ken crouch)
    these guys are the experts (steve is doing loads of the programming work for mach4- he must be good!)
    i cant knock camsoft as i have never had the chance to see or use it in person. i would love to get the chance to sing its praises. im in the uk.
    so much to learn, so much to pass on.

WOW, Mach is much more capable using Galil than I thought. Thanks for the information.

There are several long videos of Camsoft equipment on Camsoft's web page. The CHNC lathe video is my machine. I have a link to my tool changer operation in the Camsoft forum on CNCzone. But, you don't need Camsoft.

I have several Galil cards. We've put them up for sale on eBay with little interest. I'm surprised folks with a servo refit machine have not snapped them up to run Mach.

Karl

Page 1 of 2 12