584,829 active members*
5,070 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > HELP ASAP with Fadal 4020 Spindle

HELP ASAP with Fadal 4020 Spindle

I need help ASAP on my 4020 Fadal. The spindle bearings have started to make noise since we had a crash. I need to know if someone has taken apart their spindle and rebearinged it. I can't believe Fadal wants almost $5,000 for a new spindle and almost $4,000 for a reman. It's like my Y-axis ballscrew, Fadal techs said I needed a new ballscrew and that would cost me $2500+ labor. I searched around and found EJM Ballscrew in Bay City Michigan that reballed it for $495. They checked for run out and put it under the optical comparator to make sure the screw was not worn out. That's why I think I can pull my spindle apart and rebearing it for a lot cheaper than what Fadal and Fadal Service wants.

On a side note I have found that the ballscrew bearing mount bearings are NTN 7304BG. I have found through a local supplier that bearing $30 cheaper than going through Fadal.

Thanks Everyone for your help

I just yesterday got email from company in the U.S.
    that repair the spindle
    here is his email David Haviland [[email protected]]
    also you can try by fadalcnc.com they sell repair spindle for 2850$
    and KMAC.com will do it for 3350$
    if you need the way to diassembel it let me know and I will post it here

Quote Originally Posted by dango
    if you need the way to diassembel it let me know and I will post it here

If you could that would be great.

Thanks

Just a thought
    My spindle is noisy (don't know if due to crash or not). I have not noticed any quality issues and it has been this way for a couple of years. Considering that it doesn't take long for the spindle to be rebuilt, I am just going to run it till quits or gets really noisy.
    This is assuming your spindle sounds like mine - yours could be past the usable stage already
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

First take the cover out
    Take out the air from the machine
    Play with the valve on the top of the piston and push the piston that holds the belt for release the belt
    Then you need to disassemble the piston bridge 6 screw with 7/16 key
    If you have coolant thru you need to put two screws in the hole of the bridge
    For the spring of the carbon not to fall
    Then take out this bridge that hold down with Allen key of 5/16 there is 3 screws
    Then look at the motor and remove the left leg that are far from you with 3/8 Allen key
    Then take out the cover under the motor belt cover this two screw 3/4 tool
    Remove the 2 belts
    You need to heat up the pulley for taking it out first measure the distance between the pulley and the head for assemble it
    Then release the screw I think six screws with 9/16 tool
    This part you will see is cut in one side you need 3/16 Allen key to release it
    That put screw driver and lift it
    Release the 6 Allen screw in the bottom of the spindle and now you remove the spindle
    One thing don't forget to take out the electric from the chiller pump
    I hope this will be help to you to assemble it just reverse this way

Thanks a bunch Dango

I'm going to nurse it for awhile and watch it carefully. Fadal CNC told me about $900 in parts to rebuild the spindle. They were great and very helpful, I would recommend talking with them for parts and tech help.

x axis backlash help!!!!

im looking for a fadal 4020 the vendor says it has a litle backlash in the x axis than a technician can correct by programing not necesary to change ballscrew, its that a viable option?

We just had our spindle repaired. It came back yesterday ( Tuesday ). It is still in the box waiting to go into the machine. The place that rebuilt it is in Huntington Beach California. However they have a total of 4 locations around the U.S.A for repair/rebuild. I will look up the cost for you. I do remember one from last year that was around $2300. Here's the link for them.

http://www.setcousa.com/

Quote Originally Posted by german View Post
    im looking for a fadal 4020 the vendor says it has a litle backlash in the x axis than a technician can correct by programing not necesary to change ballscrew, its that a viable option?
    German guy in Mexico, I would have started a new thread if I was you, but, 90% of the slop you are going to find is going to be in your thrust bearings, $80 and a little bit of time, and you are up and running.

Also, what is a little bit of backlash, under .001" or so thats not bad and the machine can comp for that, I think the machine will comp up to about .008 or so, but at that point, you've got other problems.

TurboBlazerx
    Be carfull when it comes to spindle repair. This job when done properly is not just pressing out the old bearings and popping in the NEW! All components of the spindle are checked and adjusted to speck! The rebuilt spindle cartridge is RUN at MAX rpm to insure the pre-load on the bearings is correct! the taper is REGROUND to insure ZERO runout on new assembly. And the belleville retainer washers in the case of the fadal are tested and repaired as needed. Then this entire spindle unit is gaurenteed from the rebuilder. This process insures your Fadal cuts as good or BETTER than factory for many hours! Its been better than 10 yrs since I used a company in Oregon to rebuild my spindles, At that time it cost about $3000.00 There spindle performed excellent as they performed the above mentioned procedures and test.
    You get what you pay for and your CNC Spindle is one of the most important parts in your machine that effects quality!
    My 2 cents worth

Stephen

We recently replaced our fadal spindle. the pulley can be a pain in the ass. Took me 3 tries to finally get it to go on right. if its off the orientation to the tool changer will be out. It was so loud, it sounded like a jet engine at high rpms.

the new spindle is a re-man. No noise what so ever, but they did not properly grind the spindle taper. Theres no runout on the spindle itself. There is a high spot in the middle of the taper causing excessive runout on my tools. I'm getting about .0015 on a milling chuck, and there is about .0015 deflection on every toolholder i put in. So now I've got to have a regrind company to come in and fix that. Anybody know if cncpros have a warranty on re-mans?

Good luck.

Oh and they should offer you a 1000$ core charge for the old spindle. We payed 3000$ altogether. That was for a 10K spindle.

Ball scrws & Bearings for machine tool

If you need Ball screws or bearing for you machine tool I can sell you the same parts for half the price.

Send me an eamil at [email protected]