584,857 active members*
4,027 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Effect of small fillet radius and larger tool radius on pocketing
    greenene Guest

Effect of small fillet radius and larger tool radius on pocketing

I am curious to know how MC calculates the tool compensation when a fillet radius is smaller than the tool's radius. Can this cause MC to undercut a pocket? In a typical rectangular pocket, I usually make the fillets small enough to break the corners, not necessarily thinking about the tool's radius. In some situations, I know I will need to go in with a smaller tool. However, MC does not generate a tool compensation error, so I never thought about it.

tony

Basically
    -Mastercam would offset the wall contour by 1/2 the cutter diameter ( plus any additional offset ) at that cut depth
    - then it calculate the required passes. The path contour is done within the system and is not displayed

For a internal radius that is smaller that the cutter radius, it would be eliminated due to the new tangent lines crossing before the that radius is formed
    - Mastercam does place a rad ( depends on operation settings ) in the corner that is marginally larger than the programmed tool, so that if a smaller tool is used with comp, it will not undercut and ruin the part