508,481 active members
4,422 visitors online
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12
    Registered

A poor mans CNC machine

Greetings, I'd first like to thank the community here for their knowledge and documentation of making home brewed CNC machines. Without this sharing I would've never came close as I have in making my own contraption at home.
    This has taken me over two years with most of the parts sourced out from big box retailers.

The main parts are of two aluminum ladders, 2x4 wood, plastic cutting boards, lots of bearings and regular couplers.

Testing Y axis bearing cage and heavy router
    My CNC machine progress - YouTube

Testing Z motor movement
    CNC Testing - YouTube

Current pictures
    http://i.imgur.com/SgZaAmz.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/5ZTQ6hL.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/qDWFi8e.jpg

Im about a week away from getting it moving and doing some cuts (Ill upload more video and details then)... If members think this design is great, I would love for someone to try to replicate the iteams in 3D so that its open sourced and for people to open it up on their computer (free Sketchup 3D program) for easy building.
    Please leave any design changes you have in mind (personally I just need a setup like this to cut foam models) that would make the machine easier to build or stronger.

---
    My plans for this great machine are to build car kits and open sourced motorhomes... I have lots of ideas but no capital to fund them all.
    I encourage members here to pickup any of these concepts and build molds for them to share profits.

Poor mans land yacht
    http://i.imgur.com/PqDE7mW.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/CoqaCEG.jpg
    A poors mans land yacht - Concept - Page 4 - The Australian 300zx Owners Association post 67 & 72

Re-bodying $1000 Camaro's into aerodynamically Italian styled designs.
    $1000 Camaro's into aerodynamic beauties. - Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com

Registered
    A couple of things. If foam is all you are cutting then you'll ok but for anything else you would need to add support to your y axis. 2x4 is not a desirable cnc building material. It's strong but is significantly affected humidity changes which will throw your accuracy off as the weather changes. Steppers do get hot but I think it's ok not to place a heatsink or fan on them. The G540 reduces current when the motors are idle.

However as they say, your mileage may vary. If this setup performs to your expectations then all good.

Registered
    My Y axis supports actually sway back and forth a lot because of the position and way I bolted them on... I have a few add-on tweaks for it that will hopefully fix this. I guess if the wood is going to expand and throw off accuracy... one could always setup some kind of marked points test for deviation over time.

Being a poor man , I avoided ordering the locally hard to find resisters to idle my motors when not used... something to upgrade in the future for sure.
    Thanks for the feedback

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashb View Post
    My Y axis supports actually sway back and forth a lot because of the position and way I bolted them on... I have a few add-on tweaks for it that will hopefully fix this. I guess if the wood is going to expand and throw off accuracy... one could always setup some kind of marked points test for deviation over time.

Being a poor man , I avoided ordering the locally hard to find resisters to idle my motors when not used... something to upgrade in the future for sure.
    Thanks for the feedback
    They are very cheap. I think I got 10 for $3.

Registered
    Looks essentially like the very first CNC machine I started but never completed. Mine was built out of 2x4s, ready rod (all thread) and 1" conduit. I never completed it but I got the CNC bug. I know it might be a hard sell at this point but keep an eye out on ebay, a cheap set of linear rails and a ball screw with a belt drive system bolted onto a plate of aluminum and you've got a complete axis. I'm sure cutting boards, ladders bearings do add up! There are many great designs on here based off MDF frames that use torsion box designs for stability. You should look into them!

As for resistors they are super cheap. A lot of the electronics components manufactures will send you FREE samples.

Happy CNC'ing I wish you the best of luck!

Registered

Re: A poor mans CNC machine

Thanks, Ive been keeping various parts through out the years for this new design (as I ditched the old) and if it has major problems I just might have to order parts to get it finished.

My youtube channel showing the extension I made for my van so that I can use it as a workshop.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/VancityComputers/videos

Gold Member

I might mention that home centers suck when it comes to component costs. So not the best way to buy build materials, especially anything involving metal.

My laptop died so I will not be able to see much detail but it does look like your machine could use more thought in the bearings. Generally the cheaper the bearing solution the farther they need to be spread out.

Registered

For sure materials are expensive, even bolts and brackets. Ive used an Ikea bed for the X base, the metal supports are sourced from a bed board, and a ladder for the table.
    Each wheel has two bearings so there are many... here is my Z axis and table design.

Registered

I like your build.

Registered

Thanks, although the Y-axis is very stiff to move back and forth, Im getting lots of flexing.

Im not sure if some ad-on bracing will fix this, maybe centering all the wheels to the Y bar might help?

i realize that everyone's machines are a product of what they can afford, and material availability. i got a deal on my machine, due to pure luck i think.
    i am concerned about the flex you mentioned. (haven't watched the videos yet.) maybe i missed it, but what is your end plan for this machine? what are you routing?

~Travis
    Techno Isel Gantry III (?) base machine. EMC/LinuxCNC controller.
    about 48 X 48 X 5 inch working, Makita RF1101

Registered

I would like to transform the front of an old sports car into a new design by carving pink HomeDepot foam for the mold.
    Im thinking of stacking some square tubing I have, inplace of the ladder braces Im using maybe to reduce flex seen in the video.

Page 1 of 2 12