585,560 active members*
3,294 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

milltronics VM-20 help

Hello, I have a milltronics VM-20, Does anybody have a drawing of the spindle draw bar assembly? The operator of the machine crashed the "Z" axis straight down into the table and now I have a tool holder that is not wanting to come out. I have taken the spindle out of the machine and trying to figure out how it works so I can remove the holder
    Thanks

There are two different drawbars used. Older machines used a ball-lock cylinder style and the newer machines use an OTT gripper style.
    They both work the same way, the way they grip the pull stud is the difference.

When you press the Tool Out button, the air cylinder pushes down on the top of the drawbar which collapses the stack of belleville washers and releases the grip on the pull stud. The drawbar then presses on the top of the stud to 'tap' the toolholder out of the spindle taper.

The stack of belleville washers is pre-loaded with a nut and set screw on the top end of the drawbar. This pre-load pulls up on the drawbar whenever the air cylinder isn't pushing down on the end.

If the drawbar moves into the spindle when you, or the air cylinder, press on the end, it is likely that the tool isn't being held, it's just stuck.
    You could try to loosen the nut to remove the pre-load, support the spindle, and tap on the nut to force the toolholder out of the taper. You may have to pry on the toolholder flange at the same time.

Good luck with it.