585,949 active members*
4,016 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > 4020 fadal cant get past "Cold Start"

Angry 4020 fadal cant get past "Cold Start"

Hi all

Just changed the phase to single phase.. I have power and no alarms..My problem is that i cant get past Cold Start procedure.. I checked all the relays and all the fuses related ( F12 F14 ) Also checked relays( K18 K1 and K2)..

All are present and I looked for any loose wires etc...

Bottom line is that when I sty any MDI function, my machine recognizes that it hasnt cold started and when I try and Cold start I have NO JOG functioality!!!

Any comments are greatly appreciated..

Cheers..

So at startup you hit manual, then jog and it does not go into jog mode?

exactly..

I do get to dance around the screen but when I Go to cold start I get nothing as to XYZ activity.. I cannot MDI a spindle command.. I do have resistance on the ball screws...

Quote Originally Posted by chipsahoy
    Hi all

Just changed the phase to single phase.. I have power and no alarms..My problem is that i cant get past Cold Start procedure.. I checked all the relays and all the fuses related ( F12 F14 ) Also checked relays( K18 K1 and K2)..

All are present and I looked for any loose wires etc...

Bottom line is that when I sty any MDI function, my machine recognizes that it hasnt cold started and when I try and Cold start I have NO JOG functioality!!!

Any comments are greatly appreciated..

Cheers..
    {{except to check in the SETP parameters and set the 5% low to yes or no as appropriate.}} Found this on a previous Forum!!!

Im now starting to think that maybe I might have one of those "Grounding Issues"..

Any one else got any ideas???

Cheers

That sounds like a control software problem (system card).

You can try grounding to Fadal spec (in the manual), try the 5% low parameter, I don't think you will do any harm there.

Lack of a proper ground could have left you vulnerable to a spike and toasted a PCB board?

You sure you have the transformer taps set right?

I have the same problem with my 4020 when I switched it to single phase.I found a blown fuse on the amp chasis and got the z to jog but thats it.

yeepman2

Are you back runing yet??

Chips..

No I got one axis to run,It appears that I have 3 bad glentek drives.Need to swap some more drives to make sure.I restore cars for a living,so the fadal hasn't been a real big priority lately,and I cant afford drives.

How do you know when the drive is bad..
    Of the three cards on the top do they blink and that means they are good like the bottom Set of cards.. How much is it to rebuild the cards??

y not just buy a 3 phs rotory inverter i got one from us rotory,for 800$ bucks works like a charm!!

well,my machine sat outside for awhile,so after i changed to single phase and nothing would move i started trying to move the ball screws by hand and the z wouldnt budge.so i soaked the screws with liquid wrench and got the z to move.then i found the blown fuse on the amplifier chasis and replaced it.at this point the z started to move so i swapped the z card with the y card and the y started moving. so i swapped a spare card with the z and no z movement.i still need to put my good drive in the x but i have a feeling the x drive is bad as well.i have the glentek drives they sell reconditioned for about $1000 not sure what it would cost to repair.no the lights dont blink on the top set of cards like the bottom ones.Im going to try cleaning my drives theres alot of junk on them maybe its shorting something out.

should the amp chassis get 86 vac or 120 vac?I was looking through the maintenance manual on the fadal site and found this:
    The inputs to the chassis consist of Power input, which is either 86 VAC 3
    phase or 120 VAC single phase, for DC machine and 230 VAC 3 phase, for AC
    machines,
    and this:
    The amplifier chassis bus voltage is measured across the blue capacitor or
    bank of capacitors and should about 120 VDC for 3 phase input DC amps, 160
    VDC for single phase input and 320 VDC for AC amps.

My voltage across the capacitor is 112vdc
    how do i get the right voltage across the capacitor?

I'll post tomorrow the Voltages that Im showing on my machine.. I think im on the right track. Seems like my Z is causing a lockout condition..I might have pinched a wire moving it in to the shop.. My ballscrews are still showing resistance under power..I learned today that this part of the safety lockout. The machine is doing some tests and if there is a fault, then it does this as awarning tht something is correct.. been pulling my hair out trying to find it.. trick was jumpimh F14 and F16 an then turning on power. which ever axis jumps is the one that has the problem.. Overides the E stop.. Then you remove your jumper.. Looks like my Drives are OK.. man, what a relief !!

Cheers Chips!!

A good day thanks to Paul at Fadal.. Was able to override the jog from the command prompt.. One there, I used the JX for the X and Jy for Y and then JZ for the Z.. Cold started and the rest is history.. learned a few things along the way..

Chips is back to Chipsahoy !!!