585,758 active members*
4,619 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fanuc OM-D Rs232 problems

I have a Fanuc OM-D control on a mill, until recently I was able to upload and down load programs from PC with no problems. Now for some reason I've lost that capability I've tried a new cable, and double checked with a VOM to make sure the cables were right. I know it's not a computer problem, or a software problem. The memory board where the punch panel cable connects is a A16B-2201-0101/08b this board has two ports M5 and M74, M5 is the defualt port m74 can be enabled somehow (I assume for the right price I can get the parameter to turn it on. But I was told by Fanuc service that electrically they are the same.
    I use a RS 232 signal indicator from radio shack.
    when hooked up to M5 port I get I get a red light on RD and green lights on three others, when hooked up to M74 I get a red light on RD a green light on TD and green lights on everything else but CSD and RSD where I get no lights. My next move is to send the whole board back to Fanuc for rrepair unless someone has some idea whats going on from this info. any help would be appreciated as this machine is not much good without the interface.

Fanuc 0MD RS232

The "I/O" bit on the first parameter page determines which serial port gets used, and which parameters are used to set the baudrates, etc.

With your cable plugged into M5, you should be able to set the I/O bit to "0" or "1". If set to "0", then you use parameter 0002 and 0552 to set the serial port. If set to "1", then you used parameter 0012 and 0553 instead.

With your cable plugged into M74, you can use an I/O setting of "3", and thre are a couple more parameters for setting the baudrates, etc. I don't have my manual handy, so I'm not sure what those parameters are, but they're in the "50's" somewhere.

The M74 plug is not going to work at all unless you have the optional second serial port turned on. That's an option parameter in (I believe) 914 or so. I can be more specific if I can get back to my office to look it up.

Just be sure that you didn't accidentally change the I/O bit. That could explain why it worked before and won't work now.

I have double and triple checked all the parameters and they are all right for I/O 0 and 1 with M5 port I was told that "2" was the number to input for the M74 port but maybe it's "3" anyway with out turning the port on it won't work. I'd appreciate that parameter for 914 when you can get the chance.

Thanks Springking

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fritz
    The M74 plug is not going to work at all unless you have the optional second serial port turned on. That's an option parameter in (I believe) 914 or so. I can be more specific if I can get back to my office to look it up.
    Dan
    914 bit 4 ?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Yep

Yep, Al_The_Man is right. it's 914 bit 4 (the 5th bit from the right, because the bit on the far right is bit #0)

I also mis-spoke about that I/O bit. A settting of "2" is for standard I/O with the M74 connector. A setting of "3" can be used only if you have the Remote Buffer option also.

Hi!

Does anyone have the wiring for ports M5 and M74. We want to connect directly to these ports to check if the cables are OK.

Michael

Yep:

20-pin Honda 25-pin DB25 Signal name
    pin 5 --------------- pin 20 ------ DTR Data Terminal Ready
    pin 8 --------------- pin 3 ------- RXD Received Data
    pin 9 --------------- pin 2 ------- TXD Transmit Data
    pin 16 -------------- pin 8 ------- DCD Data Carrier Detect
    pin 17 -------------- pin 7 -------- 0v Signal Ground
    pin 18 -------------- pin 6 -------- DSR Data Set Ready
    pin 19 -------------- pin 5 -------- CTS Clear to Send
    pin 20 -------------- pin 4 -------- RTS Request to Send

Thanks!!

Does anyone know who can help with cables for Fanuc?