584,814 active members*
5,355 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Router longevity... burned mine and need to replace it with a new one or a spindle.

Router longevity... burned mine and need to replace it with a new one or a spindle.

Long story short, I just burned out my Mastercraft Maximum 2.0 HP 11A router machining MDF for about 50 hours. Router was ran for up to 8 hours at a time without any dust control. After each 8 hour job was done I would vaccum up all the dust and resume. But now it looks like the bearing is gone after generating about 60 pounds of MDF dust.

Is this normal?

Would like to to replace it with a better router or better yet with a spindle that can run off 220v... (I initially posted 115V but now realized I have 220V available)

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Has anyone used FESTOOL OF 2200 router? If yes, how do they compare to regular routers when it comes to CNC applications... or will it also burn out quick?

You won't get a 2 hp VFD/spindle with 115V supply (at least I have not seen one). But if you just can not get 230V AC power you can buy a 2kW 115/230V transformer for moderate money. Otherwise, there are a zillion threads about spindles here as for the best or cheapest.

Replacing brushes and bearings on most routers is pretty easy and cheap. Mine took less than an hour and cost around $25 US, when the bearings went out. You might need a bearing puller, but most auto parts stores will have a cheap one.

Luke
    "All I'm trying to find out is the fellow's name on first base" -- Lou Costello

this one cost likely double like a handheld.. you also can try the 2.2 kw those has er20 collet what is 1/2 inch..

New 80mm 1 5KW Water Cooled Spindle Motor Drive Inverter VFD H5 | eBay

these inverters are ""intelligent units"" means they recognise 2x110 or 1x220 .. i just learned of my situation.. with a spindle you get no more noise..
    from a few feet distance you dont hear spindle runs in idle..

Quote Originally Posted by victorofga View Post
    this one cost likely double like a handheld.. you also can try the 2.2 kw those has er20 collet what is 1/2 inch..
    From everything thing I have read from here, buy the chinese spindle on ebay but source the VFD states side.