585,702 active members*
4,185 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

program crash

weve had bobcad for approx. 4 years now. we started with V23, then we got a copy of V24 and most recently V25. although, we havenst started using V25 yet as it wants to you put in stock geometry for material etc... and im in too much of a rush to learn all of that. so, I cant say for V25. but, with both V23 and V24 we have had issues every now and then where the entire program will just shut down. it does it the most when we try and open up a .dwg file. not all the time, maybe 25% of the time. but, when it does it... it wont stop doing in until we shut down the computer and restart it. it has happened on the two different computers weve had the programs installed on. the first computer ran vista and the new one runs windows 7. anyone else had this before???

I've had that when trying to open up a Solidworks solid model. I save the file as an .iges file, and it opened up fine. So yes, there could be some quirks. This was with V25.

Tom

Cartel,can you upload a file that you are having this problem with ?

@ jrmach, its not any particular file. its when you go to the file type selection when you go to open a file. the default is the bobcad file. then, when you select the format to be opened as a .dwg that's when it crashes. so, you don't even get a chance to open any files. so, after I posted this I tried to open a dxf and no issues. when I selected dwg... it crashed. I then turned the computer off... and voila! it opens a dwg file without crashing. there are definitely some quirks to it I guess. I mean, you do get what you pay for. $800 compared to $10k for a good program like mastercam or surfcam etc... I guess I should be ok with it. lol.

Do you have CCleaner? It is a disk cleaner/registry editor that can be downloaded for free from Piriform. I have a dual operating system desktop ( XP Pro 32 on C: drive and 7 Pro 32 on D: drive) and I have had similar problems with other software "locking up" and I have to restart. I shut down, unplug the power and wait a few minutes, then start up. This seems to be the most effective way to clear jams. I then let the system come back up and let it idle for 15 mins. or so, to let the disk-memory-processor activity settle down. Then I start CCleaner and select the registry cleaner. This usually turns up lots of issues that need to be fixed. Afterward, the software seems to run more smoothly and with fewer problems.

Would you happer to know anything about compatability of V24 and Geo Path?

Open BoB first.Go to file in upper left hand corner.Scroll down to open,select file to open.Try it that way and see.Or is that what your saying you do?

If so,no,not had this happen to me.

I will go by the shop office this afternoon and put some Geo Path files on a flash drive and try that. Can they be used to edit each other?

@ jrmach... yeah. that's what im doing. you go to upper left and click on the manila folder for open file. then, once you select the directory where your file is stored you either have to open the default bobcad version or open a different format file. which is when I try to open a dwg and it closes the program.

Not experienced that.

Whats the build number? Run as admin and compat.

bobcad guy Guest
    ive had some software crashes, doing various functions, sometimes, when I rotate the part a lot in a very short period of time, or sometimes out of nowhere, my part disappears, and it takes a minute to get it back, but I attribute that to the computer more than bob. at work they have me running bob on an all in one, and the requirements clearly state they don't recommend that, but they wont buy me a new puter, so, oh well. my home puter has 10 gigs ram, 2 gigs video card, six core processors running at 3.8 MHz, and 1.5 terr of hard drive. never seen any of those things here.