584,817 active members*
4,742 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Dyna Mechtronics > Dyna Myte 4400M with Meldas M3 Control. I think the battery is dead
Page 1 of 2 12

Dyna Myte 4400M with Meldas M3 Control. I think the battery is dead

Hello I am new to the cnc world but I got a Dyna 4400 M with the Meldas M3 controls. It wont do anything when the power is on. I believe the battery might be dead. The previous owners barely used it. They also told me the battery has died before. I could use some help on restoring the unit to working order. It does have a tool changer so I will need the program for that and the parameters to set the cnc up. I saw a previous post about the dip switches so I will try it first but wanted to get the ball rolling for some assistance. I will also be setting it up to drip feed programs due to my cam program is 3000K.

Thanks,
    Patrick

Re: Dyna Myte 4400M with Meldas M3 Control. I think the battery is dead

Hey Patrick,

I' dont know the answer to your question but i have search answers about DM 4400M, can you help me.
    Is it servo motors on your mill?
    can you have dropp fee?
    what is the dimension of the machine and weight?

Have you replaced the battery? I am guessing you are referring to the battery on the motherboard.

Cblad, do you mean " can you drip feed the mill"?
    A lazy man does it twice.

Patrick,

Hope you got your machine running. If not, Sorry I'm so late in getting to your post.

Attached are files to get you up and running if it IS a dead battery situation.

Files include: Step-by-step Instructions on what to do.

Parameters.

Tool Change file.

I have had to do this many times.

email me if you need more help

Good Luck

Bill Kobernus

Hello Bill, thanks for the files from your post they worked like a champ, I know I'm replying to a 3 1/2 year old post, but I want to thank you for the files. My dead Battery problem was a simple fix thanks to your help. I just purchased a DynaMyte 4400M with a dead battery and was able to go from a blank screen to working screen, Now I have a few errors (E7 error) I need to learn how to clear, but getting closer to having a working machine.

thanks for the Post,

Jim

Hi Jim,
    I'm glad that the files helped you out. Where are you located? I'm 40 miles west of Chicago. When you get yours working, feel free to stop by and get running. It's been sitting dead for about 4 years now.

Bill K

Hello Bill, I'm in Jacksonville, FL. Sorry hear your is DOA, I just picked mine up last month, Do you Know how to Clear the warnings on the unit? I can not find anything on how to do it? I even have the manuals and I have actually read them, they tell you what they are, "NC Emergency stop" alarms, but I can not find how to correct them or clear them. any ideas? or should I try Mitsubishi Support?

Thanks,

JIm

I'm helping someone out with a DM4500 I think.

Seems to be the same control and very similar machine all together.

He had the same issue with the battery, but thankfully he had backups and I was able to get it up and running except for the tool changer.

Trying to call a tool, the carousel will turn forever. I read about this issue in the operation manual with the note to call Dyna. I haven't called them yet, but was hoping someone else here has run into this and has the fix.

PNaedele,
    I'd call quickly... Dyna itself is kind of kaput, I believe. They have no presence in San Jose at all, and I don't think they have any manufacturing elsewhere either. Although their website is 'up', I think it is being serviced by an ex-employee that has branched out on his own. The big question, however, is how long he will be providing that service. It could be a long time or it could be next week. I believe he has Dyna's old phone number, though, so you can try calling him. I'm told he is quite nice and very helpful.

bkobernus:
    Thank you for posting that writeup and information "packet". I am hoping to pickup a 4400M in the next few weeks. One thing I noted on it, however, was that its switch panel looks different than others. I've got a photo somewhere that I can send, but between that and the fact that the machine has a 4th axis, it makes me wonder if the logic ladder might not be different (which I assume is the M3 parameter list). This, then, brings me to a different question entirely....

Do you know how to *download* all of the parameters currently in a machine so that you can back them up? Whoever generated that M3 parameter file probably has that information. I think the best solution for me would be to download the file for safekeeping just to be sure there aren't different flavors of M3 based DM4400M mills out there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2254.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	104.7 KB 
ID:	425436

It's been so long, that I would have to review my notes, and then actually sit at the machine and figure it out. Other wise you just have to go through all of the parameters manually.
    I have all the manuals, just have to look it up. <<<< Not an easy task. Have you ever tried to read English written by Japanese? It doesn't make too much sense.

Your control looks well used.

Is the magnetic switch working on the carousel? I would check mechanical before blaming software.

LOL... yeah, the control does look "well used", indeed. By the same token, it seems like all of the Dyna pictures out there, save a few, all have broken key caps. I'm not sure why. Maybe it is exposure to fluid or something? Anyhow, the machine all works fine and I'll post more about it once I have it in my possession.

I managed to get the manuals yesterday, but I didn't see anything in there about downloading (or uploading) the code that is custom to the machine. I've left that statement a little vague because I've learned that in addition to the PLC (or which I think there are two areas?), the macros are also custom and need to be backed up. I must admit that I'm a little paranoid with this one. And it doesn't help that the CRT on this machine seems to be having some issues. The sync is off and it rolls until warmed up; but even then, the vertical sync is placing the "top" of the image in the middle of the screen, which really makes navigating tough. If you, Bill, decide you want to have a Sunday afternoon challenge, feel free to read through the Japanese English (I know what you mean... but at least it is better than Chinglish, which is often completely nonsensical)! I'd love to know the steps in drop dead "do X, press Y, wait, do Z" format

I have one other problem. Before I had access to the manuals, I was given the chance to play around with the machine. That is really really nerve wracking when you don't know a control! Anyhow, I somehow managed to advance the Y axis to the limit (table farthese from the operator). It was with the MPG at low speed so definitely no damage there; in fact, a non-event really. But the weird thing is that I can't advance the table off the limit now! In fact, it will only advance in the negative direction (into the column) where it will, of course, run out of travel (hard stop). The control detects the following error, returns to the old position (positive Y) and shuts down with an error.... For full disclosure, even when 'Ready', the error LED is on an there is an M01 error (but the aforementioned screen issues, along with my naivety on the control prevent me from seeing much more on that).... So, the question is... How do I get it off this limit? I think I may have gotten into this boat with the ABS MAN switch... Not sure there though. Anyhow, I'm assuming there is an easy way to resolve the problem. Physically I might be able to rotate the leadscrew (not sure), or I could probably remove the limit switch temporarily. Both those are pretty. This is not an unusual situation, so I'm assuming there is an easy solution.

Shoot... I kind of hijacked this thread. I have a few open now while I research this machine. I was simply replying to Bill's comments and didn't realize I might stomp on some other topic.

MrMetric,

Sorry for the delay in reply. It's been a busy year.

Just read you post. Sounds to me like one of the Y limit switches is stuck. That's why the Y axis moves only in one direction. Spray some WD-40 on them and make sure you hear them "click", I hope after 2 months you figured that out on your own.

Well, as luck would have it, I didn't get the machine until last weekend. However, I did have the previous owner go over some things about 1.5 months ago. He was familiar with the problem and it was that the machine had been turned off while still on the limit switch. I knew it was on the switch (not stuck) but normally you can back it off the switch (not advance), but apparently the PLC wasn't setup for that. So, the only solution was to physically disassemble the switch plate so the switch could be deselected. Frankly, this seemed rather draconian to me and I've got a hunch that there is a better solution, but I was grateful for his help (plus it was still his machine at that point) so I just listened and watched.

The machine is actually cleaning up really well. It was just dirty from not being used. I'm sourcing and replacing a new fan for the spindle now and have removed the enclosure (can't fit it in my garage for now). I did run into one stupid thing. I'm replacing broken switches and part of that was to rework the (un)clamp switches. I'm putting silicon covers on them. Anyhow, I took photos of the wiring, but the darned photos got corrupted. I then looked in the manuals, which are sadly pathetic. Dyna documented some stuff well and other stuff is flat out missing (nice to know the voltage but no mention of the current requirements, for instance). The wiring of the small switch harness between the connector and the two switches isn't documented. Soooo... Would it be possible for you to take your plate off and either shoot me a picture or send some descriptive text (color to connector X of unclamp switch, etc). There are only 6 wires, but I do want to get them in the right spot! Thanks.

Photos when I get a chance.

Attached Photos of wiring of Clamp/ Unclamp switches inside front plate of head.

I never had the Y axis thing happen to me, and I shut my machine down with the Y axis in the full Y- direction. I would still check to make sure the switches are not sticking.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks.

I powered the machine up for the first time today. I'm running off a Phase Perfect phase converter, which gives good power. I wasn't cutting anything, only jogging around and such. I had a stuck tool in the carousel, so I had to turn power off. After that, I get the following errors on power up:

S04 AMP. CONNECT OFF
    Y03 AMP. UNEQUIPPED

I don't see any LEDs lit on the spindle amp. The Z axis simply displays 56. And the X/Y amp displays a rotating message of:

56 -> F1 -> F2 -> back to 56

I've really not done much checking, in part because I'm kind of bummed. Hopefully there is an easy fix? All of the breakers are ON (none are tripped).

I run mine with a 5HP Roto-Phase, phase converter. I have found that, that would be the minimum size phase converter, as the machine is very voltage sensitive. If I turn on, or off another machine while the Dyna machine is on... It kicks right off. So I end only running the Dyna, with nothing else powered up.
    So, I would say, power EVERYTHING off. All the way from the breaker box, and start over from scratch.

Good Luck!

These machines can really test your patience sometimes.

Bill K

I was just coming back in to post that after giving myself some sulking time, , I went back and found the problem very quickly. I use twist lock plugs and the one I installed for this project is temporary. It appears as though it will be *very* temporary.... It is especially hard to get in all the way and apparently it wasn't fully seated. I found it very quickly when I measured my voltage on the inputs and they were *clearly* not all connected. So, this was a simple brownout situation. Now all the amps are working properly and I can home the machine properly.

Haven't tried the spindle yet... I don't know the Meldas control (or G-code for a mill, actually), so I need to figure that out. Should work though. Tool was stuck in the spindle but I got that out. The previous owner had left one in there for about a year.

Well, Good to hear that you found your problem. Also good thing you got that tool out before you tried a tool change, 'cause the first thing a Dyna does for a tool change is DROP whatever is in the spindle, before it picks up the next tool. I can't tell you how many times I have stabbed my workpiece with a tool dropping from the spindle. Good thing nobody was watching. <<< joke.

Too make the spindle turn... Go to MDI... Type in: S1000 M03 Press cycle start. Spindle should start. M03 = Spindle Clockwise M05 = Spindle Stop M08 = coolant ON M09 = Coolant OFF Before you give a Spindle command, you have to give it a speed. hence S1000. That means 1000 RPM.

Sorry to be so basic if you already know this stuff. Hope your spindle works OK.

Again.... Good Luck

Basic is fine. It keeps me from having to look things up while I'm really just running through the paces of checking things. I've got a few things of note:

First, the lights don't work on the clamp/unclamp buttons. I know the problem but not the solution. The common wire for the lights is not there. Do you feel like taking off four screws for that plate and snapping a picture or just providing descriptive text? I'm curious what pins in the connector go to which posts on the switches; I'd say color of wire, but I don't know if Dyna was consistent there.

Second, I'm curious if your Y axis allows you to back off if you travel too far. I'm thinking the parameters aren't right or something. On the X axis, you can always back off from an over travel. On the Y, the only solution is to physically disassemble the limit switch assembly. And, I've noticed that even after you home the axis, you can then move the Y to the positive limit (table near operator) and it will hit the switch (and then require the physical (temporary) removal of the switch. That isn't right. The other axis "hit" the limit through software before the switch plunger engages (after homing), but not the Y. In fact, there is one other strange thing that I've noted on the Y that was there when I was looking at the machine with the previous owner.... The Y had been moved to the negative limit and the machine turned off. When turned on, the machine correctly faulted with the limit error, however, you couldn't use the wheel (or jog) to back off the limit (noted above), BUT you could use the wheel to move *further* into the error! That is just strange. Of course, it would fault again then slightly back off that fault, but not enough that it would reset the plunger. It is almost as though the limits are incorrectly setup (wrong position) for the purposes of backing off. I haven't checked the Z axis yet, but the X works as I would expect..... So, does your Y have anything funny in the way it operates?

Third: The Dyna manuals are a little surprising at how poor they are. Measurements and even power requirements are not well documented (30A 220/240, 3 phase for those reading this), etc. One thing I also can't find is the type of oil recommended for use. I'm assuming Vactra #2 is fine for the way oil, but I thought I'd check. What are others using?

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12