585,670 active members*
4,478 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

control problems

I have a BMC 20 with Ultimax 3 control and I'm having various problems.

It keeps stopping on a tool change but in different places. Sometimes it does the tool change but doesn't clamp the spindle, other times it misses a tool and goes on to the next one even though the pendant says it has the correct tool in. Because it's different problems it makes me think it's not a proximity switch going bad.

I used to be able to drip feed large programs straight into to memory and run the machine, now I have to send them to the hard drive and then drip them into memory from there. It's only a problem if I need to change something in the program because I have to go through the whole loading process again.

Sometimes when I switch the machine on it boots up fine and calibrates but then I find I can't move it because the X Y Z buttons don't work on the manual jog hand control.

I've noticed that when I'm having any problems with the machine the control seems to take a little longer to change from one screen to another. Sounds daft but it's almost as if the whole control has suddenly gone lazy and slow. It's not like this all the time and when it's working ok it will go all day without a fault.

I was talking to someone the other day and they said could it be a problem with the RAM starting to break down. Is there a way of testing for this. I haven't a clue when it comes to computers and electronic faults.

Any ideas guys?

How clean are the boards in the control? If they're dirty & oily could have some funny business going on there. The sticky oil holds microscopic swarf and make a semi-conductive goo.

Clean the PCB by Iso-propyle, or hexene and dry it properly and Install again

Thanks guys, I'll give it a go as soon as I get the chance and then post back.

Ok I cleaned the boards, which weren't really that dirty to be honest, but it made no difference at all. It will work perfectly for a few days and then for no reason just change and start playing up on the tool changes. I leave it switched on now. Any more ideas?