585,753 active members*
4,041 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Do you have to keep all parts oiled?

I ordered some parts from littlemachineshop and noticed the parts are all saturated in oil. WHy is this?

I have a micro mill on order, will I constantly have to keep everything saturated in oil?

Will oil be flying out of the machine when in use and making a mess around the mill?

it will have been oiled from the factory to preserve it from rusting while it sits as stock product
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Well if it has a built in oiler to the ways, leadscrew, and spindle then you may have some small oil leaking, not much. If it does'nt have a built in oiler to your ways etc. etc. then, thats too bad... You want everything to be oiled, you don't want a dry machine... Dry machine= wore out machine, so if it doesn't have a built in oiler then, in my opinion it's a cheapo machine. Everything I have has built in oilers and oil lines, I don't own any small machines like this so I would'nt know about your's. So if no oiler is with it then your going to have to squirt some lube all over it, which is going to make a mess. If there is a oiler, there will be a box like container that has a round or "T" handle that you should pull every time you use the machine. Don't be afraid of the oil it is your freind. Yes your mill is going to make a mess unless it has a built in inclosure. If not I would be happy to fabricate a aluminum trauf arrangment that attachs to the bed or a complete inclosure around the machine out of polycarbonate for a price...

Quote Originally Posted by Micro Milling View Post
    I ordered some parts from littlemachineshop and noticed the parts are all saturated in oil. WHy is this?

I have a micro mill on order, will I constantly have to keep everything saturated in oil?

Will oil be flying out of the machine when in use and making a mess around the mill?