585,597 active members*
3,013 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

TB6560 (3 axis) and spindle control.

Hi all,

I know this has already been discussed, but despite all my reading and testing, I could not get it to work.

I'll try to make it clear and give as much info as possible.

Building: 3d Printer

Driver Board: TB6560 Blue Board (3 axis)

Board Image Link: http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/4...b-3-b-font.jpg
    Board Manual Link: http://www.fut-electronics.com/wp-co...pperManual.pdf
    Board Pinout Link: DrKFS.net: scientific techniques, experimental methods, & investigative tools for the inventor, researcher and laboratory pioneer

Software Used: LinuxCNC

My Problem...

I'm trying to keep my 3 axis board and use the spindle relay integrated on this board to turn on or cut off my DC motor used for my plastic extruder.

I can't get it to work. When I power up my system, I hear a click and my fan starts spinning (this is what I connected to test spindle relay acivity).

I created a program to turn spindle on and off (M3 and M5). When it gets to M5, I hear a click, and fan stops. Though, when it reach next M3, it does not come back on.

So my question is, how can I do that?

My pin 9 is set to Spindle On in Linux CNC.

I think it is my wiring that is wrong, and would need to know how to do it, since I only have basic skills in that!

Thanks in advance!

PS: Sorry for my english, I speak French.

Hi,

I've been able to make my relay work. But I'm really not sure about the wiring!

There also seems to have some lag between relay activity and when program goes through M3 and M5 in G-Code.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Ok changed the wiring as on this page except my fan (for testing purpose cause I have no dc motor yet) replaces the ac relay.
    Wire AC Relay

I hear click from the on board relay. It seems to act ok, but as said before with lag for M3 command. M5 cut spindle right away, but M3 starts the spindle with as much as 3 g code lines after it is called.

Other thing that I don't understand. I use a voltmeter to check voltage on Min and Mout connection on the board. It is 0 V when my fan (spindle) spins, and 10V when it is stopped. Not sure what it's going on here.

Please, help would be appreciated because knowing if I can control the spindle as I want, I will start building my 3d printer.

Thanks again

You would need a DC output SSR for a DC motor.
    Is there a lag on the relay click when you issue a M3 M5? if there is a lag on hearing the relay click, monitor the voltage at P9 and see if same delay, if so it is in the EMC s/w.
    If not, it is on the board.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Hi

First of all thanks for your reply.

My goal is to only use the spindle relay on/off to control another relay that would plugged to a dc motor. The DC motor would be my feed for my plastic extruder. The motor is geared (output shaft spins slower), and a PWM would allow me to control feed. Once feed value would satisfy me, then only the board on/off relay would tell when to stop and start the extruder between plastic splices. I know it sounds complicated, but it is just that I have everything in hand, instead of buying a 4axis board and another step motor.

Back to my problem...

I created a Gcode to test my spindle. There many repetitions of M3 and M5, with gcode for axis movement in between these.

First M3 of the program is bang on, I hear the click as it goes over the gcode line.

M5 is always bang on. No delay at all.

It is just that when M3 is called in my program, sometimes it is close to be 1:1 (gcode line and click sound), but often I have a lag of 1 to 3 gcode lines before I hear a click.

If I was in the process of extruding, it would cause lot of problems.

Plus, as a newbie, how can I monitor voltage on single Pin 9? Red on pin, black on ground/chassis?

Other question, when you say : You would need a DC output SSR for a DC motor.

Do you mean that what I try to achieve will simply not be possible?

Thanks again

I suspect that it is in the EMC program s/w somewhere?
    You need to measure with a DC voltmeter from pin 9, if you can access it , monitor it preferably with the board plugged in.
    From P9 to the port common, pin 18 - 25, or board common.
    it should transition from 0v to 3.5-5v.
    Al.

Albert E.

OK,

I'll try to see how to do this, and come back with some feedback.

Thanks!!

OK, I tested Pin 9.

I get 0V when inactive or when passing through M5.

I get 3.40V when passing through M3

By the way, I tested when not plugged on the board, since I would have to unmount lot of stuff. If this is needed though, I can do it for advanced troubleshooting.

If there is no delay at the port P9, then it would indicate the board is the issue?
    Unfortunately, many BOB's out there do not show or indicate the exact nature of the input/output, so it is often a case of reverse engineering to trouble shoot the problem.
    If you do a continuity check or trace from P9 to the relevant IC, you can do the test right at the IC input pin.
    Normally for TTL, 0 - 3.4 should be OK?
    Al.

Albert E.

OK, so to be sure I understand what you're saying...

I would need to follow the schematic of the IC (for Pin 9 path) and test continuity with my multimeter ?

But the fact that my relay is working, I guess there is continuity?. How can I know there is something wrong somewhere?

BTW, on my board, for relay connections I have

[Min (motor in)] / [GND] / [Mout (motor out)]

Actually, I plugged things as the link in one of my previous post. There is nothing in the GND, and I'm wondering what is it doing...

Thanks in advance

The object is to find out where the delay is occurring?
    We know the relay picks up (eventually) but where is the delay?
    I meant trace to the IC so that you could measure the transition at the IC input pin which represents P9 of the port, and go from there.
    If the signal transitions immediately at the IC pin connected to P9, then the delay is on the board somewhere, for some reason?
    Al.

Albert E.

Alright. I understand what you mean. I have to find where (i.e with which components) on the board the delay is linked to.

I'll do my lesson and try to make some reading about how to do that on the internet, and will try to give some feedback asap.

I'm wondering if going with winXP and try mach3 might help to see if it software related or not.

It looks like a big task for me to test continuity but maybe is in fact fairly easy. I don't know I'll see during the process hehe

Thanks for your help. As said above, I'll keep you updated with the results.

Tracing the physical connection from P9 to the relevant IC should be easy.
    You need the meter on the ohm scale, board power off.
    Either trace with meter or physically observe the trace.
    If you identify the IC, post the type number printed on it.
    Al.

Albert E.

I don't know if this is what you mean by the number printed on the IC, but I think this is the circuit for this board (if this could be of any help)

http://www.drkfs.net/REVERSESTEPPER.jpg

The IC in question is a 74HC14 U6 and pin 3 is the connection to P9.
    Al.

Albert E.

OK. Thanks for the quick info!

I'm really sorry for my ignorance on the subject. I understand the general idea, but how can I test continuity from pin 3 to pin 9?

Star by monitoring the HAL pin in axis. Open hal meter and select the spindle output. It should show true as soon as the m3 is issued. Next check the parallel port output. It should go high immediately. Looks like it does but 3.4 volts is not much. Should be closer to 5v.
    Is the relay driven directly from the parallel port? If so that would be a cause of delay. Its just not capable of providing enough current to actuate the relay quickly enough.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Ok. Did not have time to test yet, but I think I can answer some of your questions.

The relay is not doing any click noise when no spindle is connected to it. Wires have to go in Min and Mout to have some relay activity. I'm not sure if this is normal or not.

My fan (replacing spindle for testing purpose) is powered by same power supply as main board. I monitor about 10V on Min and Mout connections.

I like your idea of relay not having enough current to activate quickly, as it maybe would be the reason why it works well sometimes, and not that well when M3 and M5 are activated closely in my g-code programming. Maybe not enough current regeneration. (simple hypothesis)

The relay is NOT energized direct off of P9, The schematic shows that P9 goes to pin 3 of a 74HC14 inverter (IC U6), then out pin 4 to an Opto IC which picks up the relay.
    If you measure the signal at pin 3 the opposite or inverted signal should appear on P4 if the signal is the right level.
    You should hear the relay whether output is connected or not.
    Wire a small light or other visible load to relay contacts to test if necessary.
    Al.

Albert E.

This is like chinese to me hehe

That's good, I'll do my best to achieve that, and let you know what is happening.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12