584,861 active members*
5,016 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > The New Chinese metal working spindles

The New Chinese metal working spindles

Hello all,

I've been in the market for a Chinese spindle lately and have noticed that a few new "metal working" spindles have popped up in the market that are supposed to endure being able to cut metal. I'm mainly cutting wood and acrylic, but would also like to be able to cut alum sheet, and SS/steel sheet up to 16ga. Also Alum profiling. I have a steel machine.

Anyhoo, Was wondering what, is any of you, have had any experiences with the new breed of Chinese spindles. They are about 3x as much as their counterparts.

Thanks in advance,
    CC
    2 2KW CNC Router Metal Work Water Cooling Spindle Motor | eBay

3KW New Water Cooled Spindle Motor Special for Metal | eBay

Very interesting... This is the first I've heard of these spindles.

I too am interested in other's feedback...

I had one ... bought it about 6 months ago from the same seller ... very quiet , but not as good as advertised .
    A much better choise would be this :

2 2KW "Hertz Brand" Spindle Motor Air Cooled | eBay

I have tested theese turkish motors ... measured TIR under 0.01mm ( with a Technics ER16 collet and a Viper 4mm carbide endmill ) .
    Cuts aluminum like a charm . Use a bit of WD-40 for a mirror like finish .

what's the noise level of that spindle compared to the chinese water-cooled ones?

Being an air cooled motor , is a bit noisier , of course ... The chinese motor is really quiet , cuts aluminum very well ,
    it's a bit heavier than ordinary chinese motors ( at the same specs ) ... but I don't like it . Is harder to make a mounting bracket ,
    it needs a cooling system ( cooling agent , pumps , hoses / pipes , tank ... ) . The turkish motor has a very decent price/quality ratio ,
    easy to use / mount ...and is not chinese !!! ( for me , that's a big quality ... )

Does it make a difference it being 2.2kw compared to the 3kw chinese spindle?

Can't say ... I have never used a 3Kw spindle , only 2.2 ... Never needed a more powerful spindle for machining aluminum .
    Cheap chinese spindle are low quality ... weak bearings , astronomic TIR , poor quality components overall . If you want a dependable
    machine , you need to spend a little money ... Just my opinion ...

Quote Originally Posted by katran View Post
    Can't say ... I have never used a 3Kw spindle , only 2.2 ... Never needed a more powerful spindle for machining aluminum .
    Cheap chinese spindle are low quality ... weak bearings , astronomic TIR , poor quality components overall . If you want a dependable
    machine , you need to spend a little money ... Just my opinion ...
    It looks like you also bought a .75kW Hertz spindle from eBay. Have you used that to mill aluminum too?

What rpm/tooling are you using to cut aluminum? How slow can you safely run these Turkish motors?

Thanks

Bart

they are giving an extra set bearing.. also look for photos.. what they offer for metal, those has 2 bearing on the front.. you can see the front differ some from the other spindles..

you can ask seller take a photo bout bearings,, can happen they are nsk or fag bearings.. if so, then price is very reasonable..

since these has more bearing they migth noisier than other spindles.. yet way better option than a handheld router..

Wrote to the ebay seller of the Hertz spindles twice today. Very quick answer to both inquiries. Sadly, it appears that he does not recommend using his .75kW spindle for milling aluminum.

Here's our last exchange of messages:

Dear donframbach,

ok. please place order. But don't pay. I will update the invoice.

This spindle motor very good in wood. For aluminum; you should make cooling.
    Best Regards.

- ceocnc
    To: ceocnc
    Subject: Re: Other: donframbach sent a message about 0.75KW "HERTZ BRAND" SPINDLE MOTOR AIR COOLED #221200414106
    Sent Date: Jun-02-13 10:21:10 PDT

Dear ceocnc,

Thanks for your quick answer!! To buy the 24k rpm spindle from you would I just buy the 18k rpm through ebay and then add another $25 at checkout?

Also, do you recommend your spindle for light milling of aluminum or just for wood?

- donframbach

Indeed , I bought 0.75Kw spindles ... tested in aluminum with good results ( 0.5mm depth of cut , 30mm/sec feed , about 8000rpm , 4mm carbide cutter ) .
    Here is the flic :

aluminum milling test - YouTube

and this is the machined piece of aluminum at the end ...

hope that helps ...