586,011 active members*
3,805 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Need Advice: Machine for cutting 3/8 solid rod

Need Advice: Machine for cutting 3/8 solid rod

Ive been cutting 3/8 solid cold rolled rod with a chop saw for years. I make about 20-30 cuts a day and going back and forth is getting to me. Plus I need to use a bench grinder each time to remove the burr.

I thought I have seem some basic shear type machine in the past, but cant seem to find anything now. Any recommendations?

I dont have a big press or iron worker, but I do have a small bench top press (trick tools special)... But it uses a 20 ton hand jack.

Isnt there some kind of bench mount shear out there? Max size i need to cut is 3/8 solid rod CR or HR.

Thanks,

You might look into a rebar cutter. It doesn't make a very elegant end on the rod, but it's quick.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Andrew,

Thanks... That's pretty much the concept of what I'm looking for. A few more questions... I'm hoping to get away with a bench top type model vs the electric models.

Some more context as to what I'm cutting is: 1018 CR solid round, max size 3/8 inch. I understand the end might get a slight "pinched" effect. Has anyone ever cut something like this with a rebar cutter?

I guess my question would be... whats the major difference between #6, grade 60 rebar...v.s. CR 1018 3/8 round? Can benchtop model handle it? Will I through out my back/arm making these cuts daily?

Finally... anyone got any recommendations for brand? Not sure how long the average blade with last... assuming a brand with easy replacement blades is ideal.

Sorry... guess this kinda turned into a rebar discussion.

Thanks,

Looks to me like most of them are over 4 feet long and can handle 5/8 rebar, 3/8 should be easy. Prices are all over the place.

1018 has a yield strength between class 40 & 60 rebar.

And #6 rebar is 3/4" diameter, #3 is 3/8"

Sent from tapatalk