585,902 active members*
4,451 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Powermax 85 torch loses arc

My current cnc plasma setup includes CandCNC electronics (DTHCII and HyT Connect package) controlling a Powermax 85. I've been using Hypertherm's recommended cut settings with shielded machine consumables and have been monitoring the torch height during the cut. So far, torch height has been extremely close to .06" above my material when cutting.

Supplying air to the powermax 85, I have a 60gal compressor with 3/8" lines running through harbor freight's $49.99 2 stage oil removal and desiccant dryer filter system. Typically, I exhaust my desiccant after about 10 minutes of cnc plasma use.

The problem I'm having is that the torch randomly loses arc while cutting, and when this happens my electronics pause stepper motion. Even with a clean and new nozzle, electrode, shield, and new desiccant in the filter, the torch will randomly lose arc while cutting a tool path (say after about 2-3 minutes of cutting) with Mach 3. When this happens movement of the gantry stops, but I see no faults on the lcd of the powermax 85; however, when the torch cuts out the "torch started" indicator and the "remote connected" indicator are still on (page 4-6 of the hypertherm 85 manual illustrates the lcd screen icons). Should the "torch started" indicator still be lit when the torch loses arc? I've found that when the torch loses arc and the gantry stops moving I can loosen the connection at the CPC port (for CandCNC DTHCII), slightly pull the connector plug out and then reconnect. When I reconnect the arc starts up again and stepper motion resumes. This is not ideal for long-lasting consumables.

My suspicion is that my air quality is sub par even with the desiccant and oil filters. I just thought I would try to rule out any potential problems with the powermax 85 before I consider purchasing a refrigerated dryer.

By the way, I love the powermax 85 overall! The build quality is top-notch and the performance is worth every penny!

Thanks,

Justin

If it was an air issue you would see an error code on the Powermax system. I would wire a switch across the plasma start input (pins 3 and 4 of the CPC connector on the powermax85) and cut the same program you were having issues with. When the cut is supposed to be on, close this switch, when the cut is supposed to extinguish, open the switch. If the arc stays on now.....yet without the switch bypassing the start input it still drops the arc.....then I would suspect a bouncing output contact from the CandCNC electronics. If the arc still cuts out with the switch active....then the problem likely is a loose connection somewhere in the plasma. This test should help to isolate which part of your machine the fault is in.

I am surprised that the plasma on signal is remaining active after the plasma extinguishes. The system should be watching for the "arc good" (Hypertherm calls it Arc Transferred) output from pins 12 and 14 of the CPC.....this plasma output closes when there is current flow on the work cable, and if it opens the electronics on the CandCNC should imediately release the plasma on contact closure.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by esp173 View Post
    My current cnc plasma setup includes CandCNC electronics (DTHCII and HyT Connect package) controlling a Powermax 85. I've been using Hypertherm's recommended cut settings with shielded machine consumables and have been monitoring the torch height during the cut. So far, torch height has been extremely close to .06" above my material when cutting.

Supplying air to the powermax 85, I have a 60gal compressor with 3/8" lines running through harbor freight's $49.99 2 stage oil removal and desiccant dryer filter system. Typically, I exhaust my desiccant after about 10 minutes of cnc plasma use.

The problem I'm having is that the torch randomly loses arc while cutting, and when this happens my electronics pause stepper motion. Even with a clean and new nozzle, electrode, shield, and new desiccant in the filter, the torch will randomly lose arc while cutting a tool path (say after about 2-3 minutes of cutting) with Mach 3. When this happens movement of the gantry stops, but I see no faults on the lcd of the powermax 85; however, when the torch cuts out the "torch started" indicator and the "remote connected" indicator are still on (page 4-6 of the hypertherm 85 manual illustrates the lcd screen icons). Should the "torch started" indicator still be lit when the torch loses arc? I've found that when the torch loses arc and the gantry stops moving I can loosen the connection at the CPC port (for CandCNC DTHCII), slightly pull the connector plug out and then reconnect. When I reconnect the arc starts up again and stepper motion resumes. This is not ideal for long-lasting consumables.

My suspicion is that my air quality is sub par even with the desiccant and oil filters. I just thought I would try to rule out any potential problems with the powermax 85 before I consider purchasing a refrigerated dryer.

By the way, I love the powermax 85 overall! The build quality is top-notch and the performance is worth every penny!

Thanks,

Justin

the loss of ARC (ARC OK) stops motion but does not turn off the torch fire relay unless you have that option set in the Cut Profile (Torch off with loss of arc) That is not he root of the problem. Losing arc during a cut is most often the result of the output from the control "flashing". It happens pretty fast and is because of one of three things. We have a "Lamp test" outlined where if you plug in a table or shop light into the auxiliary outputs and turn it on you can see the flash. All of the outputs are controlled by a data stream....they are not one for one. As a result a glitch in the data will cause a glitch in the outputs.

Most common case is that the PC running MACH either has something running in Windows (not optimized for MACH) that is causing the jitter or it simply cannot keep up with the processes. That will show up in the lamp test as a flash of the lamp with it just sitting with no code running.

Second test is to run a test with the torch and THC off and if the lamp flickers it is the PC having problems with the processing.....usually means a different PC

If it ONLY Happens when the torch is cutting than it is from noise getting into the PC and better ground OR in some cases a new PC are in order.

If the lamp never flickers and the torch still misfires, it is past the electronics and something else.

If you cannot get it to stop by following the optimization steps in the BladeRunner AIO User Manual (PC Hardware section) or by swapping in a different PC than contact us. We can modify the I/O card so that output runs off a dedicated output outside the other outputs (must be a system shipped in the last 6 months with the REV 12 UBOB III card)

We can swap out the UBOB REV12 for free. You can trade up on older cards for a nominal fee.

This problems is in a small percentage of installs and almost always the PC.

Bad air typically does not cause the arc to drop out in the middle of a cut and if the volume is too low the 85 will bark at you on the LCD or with the RS485 option on the MACH screen (fault codes are in English)

Re: Powermax 85 torch loses arc

Quote Originally Posted by jimcolt View Post
    If it was an air issue you would see an error code on the Powermax system. I would wire a switch across the plasma start input (pins 3 and 4 of the CPC connector on the powermax85) and cut the same program you were having issues with. When the cut is supposed to be on, close this switch, when the cut is supposed to extinguish, open the switch. If the arc stays on now.....yet without the switch bypassing the start input it still drops the arc.....then I would suspect a bouncing output contact from the CandCNC electronics. If the arc still cuts out with the switch active....then the problem likely is a loose connection somewhere in the plasma. This test should help to isolate which part of your machine the fault is in.

I am surprised that the plasma on signal is remaining active after the plasma extinguishes. The system should be watching for the "arc good" (Hypertherm calls it Arc Transferred) output from pins 12 and 14 of the CPC.....this plasma output closes when there is current flow on the work cable, and if it opens the electronics on the CandCNC should imediately release the plasma on contact closure.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
    Thank you for Jim Colt's kind help , we have learned a lot. Thanks
    AngelBlade air plasma cutter
    www.abplasma.com