586,011 active members*
4,057 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SprutCAM > Simulation visibilities

Simulation visibilities

Lately, when I simulate with SC7, the material removed during an operation is not displayed as removed until the operation completes. Previously, it would show an appropriate amount of material removed on each pass in the simulation. This has happened before and I figure that it is either caused by an errant mouse button press on my part or by SC randomly changing settings on its own. I tried changing visibility of the different features in various combinations without success and finally hit on this one:

Attachment 186610

Is this the setting most others use? Are any others having trouble with the visibility settings getting changed on their own?

Mike

Hi Mike,
    For a while now I have been clicking on the "Reset Workpiece" button (the red X) before running a simulation. Especially after going from the machining tab directly to the simulation tab.

The various visibility selections with all their options sure is confusing tho

These are my visibility selections in the simulation tab...
    Gerry

Attachment 186658
    Currently using SC7 Build 1.6 Rev. 64105

Thanks Gerry. I hit the "Reset Workpiece" button regularly too, so I don't think that's it. I suspect that either SprutCAM 7 is flaking out on it's own or I'm inadvertently hitting some shortcut key that changes something that affects visibility. My bet is SC flakiness. Sometimes the simulation never actually shows the effect of cutting and sometimes it does, but only at the end of the op. For example if 3 holes are being drilled the cavities for all 3 holes will stay filled unto the drilling op completes and then all 3 cavities are revealed simultaneously.

I'm reluctant to switch to SC 8, but maybe that has gotten better. IAC, Sprut probably won't be fixing any remaining SC 7 bugs, so maybe it would be better to switch.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    Thanks Gerry. I hit the "Reset Workpiece" button regularly too, so I don't think that's it. I suspect that either SprutCAM 7 is flaking out on it's own or I'm inadvertently hitting some shortcut key that changes something that affects visibility. My bet is SC flakiness. Sometimes the simulation never actually shows the effect of cutting and sometimes it does, but only at the end of the op. For example if 3 holes are being drilled the cavities for all 3 holes will stay filled unto the drilling op completes and then all 3 cavities are revealed simultaneously.

I'm reluctant to switch to SC 8, but maybe that has gotten better. IAC, Sprut probably won't be fixing any remaining SC 7 bugs, so maybe it would be better to switch.

Mike
    Its Sprut flakiness. It has been doing this for me for the last 3 releases or so.... Not a show stopper, but certainly annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by dbrija View Post
    Its Sprut flakiness. It has been doing this for me for the last 3 releases or so.... Not a show stopper, but certainly annoying.
    Thanks for confirming. Flakiness seems to be the most likely culprit for most Sprut woes.

Mike

Mike
    I try to check their web site out every 3 or 4 weeks to see if there is a newer version and the engineers in Russia still seem to be uploading newer versions.
    The most recent was uploaded on 5/21/2013 and the one before that was 4/16/2013.
    I'm currently using the version that was uploaded on 5/21/2013 (Ver 7.1.6.64105).
    Here is that web site if you don't have it...
    Download.SprutCAM.com

Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Sweetland View Post
    I try to check their web site out every 3 or 4 weeks to see if there is a newer version and the engineers in Russia still seem to be uploading newer versions.
    The most recent was uploaded on 5/21/2013 and the one before that was 4/16/2013.
    I'm currently using the version that was uploaded on 5/21/2013 (Ver 7.1.6.64105).
    Here is that web site if you don't have it...
    Download.SprutCAM.com

Gerry
    Thanks Gerry. I ran into the disappearing simulation again last night on a simple project and discover that the type of simulation chosen made a difference. I'm not at my CAM system now, but the 1st of the 3 simulation types simulated correctly and the latter two didn't.

Thanks for the download link - I keep losing the good one and finding only old (bad) ones. I'll bookmark that one.

Mike

Thanks Gerry. I ran into the disappearing simulation again last night on a simple project and discover that the type of simulation chosen made a difference. I'm not at my CAM system now, but the 1st of the 3 simulation types simulated correctly and the latter two didn't.

Thanks for the download link - I keep losing the good one and finding only old (bad) ones. I'll bookmark that one.

Mike
    You're welcome Mike.
    I used to try and do all my simulation in Voxel 5D but I soon learned I didn't have as good a computer/video as I wished (thought) I had. So I use Voxel 3D most of the time, especially on projects with more than 8 or 10 operations in them.
    And I have noticed that if I am doing some experimenting, trying different ops w/ different settings and simulating and re-setting, running, etc. my graphics seem to suffer and I need to restart SC to clean out the memory or something.

I bought a new video card a few weeks ago, a ATI FirePro 4900 along with a new power supply to run it and was somewhat disappointed that it did not improve the graphics in SC that much. However, it did improve my SolidWorks graphics substantially.

I have a 64bit system with a quad core CPU so I'm hoping that if I do upgrade to SC8 64bit I'll see a substantial increase in performance with running operations AND graphics?

Gerry

You're welcome Mike.
    I used to try and do all my simulation in Voxel 5D but I soon learned I didn't have as good a computer/video as I wished (thought) I had. So I use Voxel 3D most of the time, especially on projects with more than 8 or 10 operations in them.
    And I have noticed that if I am doing some experimenting, trying different ops w/ different settings and simulating and re-setting, running, etc. my graphics seem to suffer and I need to restart SC to clean out the memory or something.

I bought a new video card a few weeks ago, a ATI FirePro 4900 along with a new power supply to run it and was somewhat disappointed that it did not improve the graphics in SC that much. However, it did improve my SolidWorks graphics substantially.

I have a 64bit system with a quad core CPU so I'm hoping that if I do upgrade to SC8 64bit I'll see a substantial increase in performance with running operations AND graphics?

Gerry
    Did you go into "System Setup" and crank up the settings under "Visualization"? There are several tunable settings like "Animation", "Perspective", and "Visualization Quality". In fact, playing with these may even fix the stock removal bug... I may play with this.

Quote Originally Posted by dbrija View Post
    Did you go into "System Setup" and crank up the settings under "Visualization"? There are several tunable settings like "Animation", "Perspective", and "Visualization Quality". In fact, playing with these may even fix the stock removal bug... I may play with this.
    Yes, I have played around with "Visualization Quality", cranking that up to max only made the system run slower. I run it about 3/4, seems to be the best compromise on my current system. I think "Animation" just affects the speed when changing views, lower or off is faster and up all the way is slower, or you can see the part move to a new view as opposed to just instantly switching views.
    "Perspective" is one that I have not played with but I know if you check the box for it and turn it on it does weird things to the way your mouse works as well as few other unusual results on the screen. Read this thread for more info http://www.cnczone.com/forums/sprutc...se_offset.html
    Gerry

Gerry
    I'm running an HP Z400 workstation with Xeon 3 GHz CPU, 10 GB RAM, and an NVidia Quadro 600 video card. It seems reasonably fast to me, though the simulations can bog down at times, especially when I've been working a while. Right now, all of them (solid, Voxel 3D, and Voxel 5D simulations) seem to run about the same speed, but only the Voxel 3D actually simulates stock removal during the simulation.. I'm on SC Build 7.1.6.59340 so quite a bit older than the current release.

Mike