584,812 active members*
5,435 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > Help with Bridgeport Interact Series 1 MK2 Stuck on the Limit Switches

Help with Bridgeport Interact Series 1 MK2 Stuck on the Limit Switches

Was hoping someone out there might have some good advice to get my Bridgport Interact with a Heidenhain 151 unstuck. On initialization it is coming up with "Pass Over Z-Reference Mark, Pass Over Y-Reference Mark, and Pass Over X-Reference Mark" all highlighted. Repeated CE, Power Enable, Cycle start, sequences will not cause the axis's to move off their limits.

The drive electronics and axis motion all functioned normally until I got it hung in this state so I believe this isn't a HW problem. I can't seem to find any prescription in the manuals to cover the case where the system is hung in this way - have any of you seen something like this and have some good advice?

Thanks for your consideration,

Mark

mark
    first check the oil level in the lube system lh side or rear.
    next try moving the joy stick y - or x- simultaniously pressing the yellow power button
    the green start button and the axis rapid (joystick) button.if this dont work try the
    following and repeat.
    open the rh side panel as viewed from front and you should find 2 or 3 breaker resets
    (near the top slightly left and to the middle) press these.they're the axis over-travel
    trips.
    if not these then maybe an axis drive fault and it's time for experts
    mike.

Quote Originally Posted by mwibbels
    Was hoping someone out there might have some good advice to get my Bridgport Interact with a Heidenhain 151 unstuck. On initialization it is coming up with "Pass Over Z-Reference Mark, Pass Over Y-Reference Mark, and Pass Over X-Reference Mark" all highlighted. Repeated CE, Power Enable, Cycle start, sequences will not cause the axis's to move off their limits.

The drive electronics and axis motion all functioned normally until I got it hung in this state so I believe this isn't a HW problem. I can't seem to find any prescription in the manuals to cover the case where the system is hung in this way - have any of you seen something like this and have some good advice?

Thanks for your consideration,

Mark
    I had a similar thing with my Interact 1 twice for two different reasons. First time the compressed air had been turned off and the second time the breaker for the main spindle motor had tripped (but you have a dc spindle motor I think on the Interact 2)

AWEM
    Andrew Mawson
    East Sussex, UK

Guys,

Thanks for the ideas.

Things I have now checked:
    1. the lubrication system - it is ~2/5 full.
    2. the system will not respond to the joystick or the handwheel with the yellow power button or the green start button pressed.
    3. CE, Power Enable, Cycle start

I have not found the breaker resets, but I do have another clue - if I release the X-axis limit switch (done very nervously after considering the homing sequence - X after others) - the Y axis homed correctly. After seeing the Y axis move, I put the X axis limit switch back in place and got stuck again with the X, Y, and Z Pass over Reference Mark messages highlighted at initialization. I am half tempted to disassemble the drive and manually move the system off of the limit switch.

AWEM - you are right it is a DC spindle drive.

Anyway - thanks for your help,

Mark

mark
    sounds like sticky limit switches, give them a poke with a screwdriver and maybe a strip and clean.
    mike.

Holding the yellow power button IN should bypass the limit switch string. Does not compute!

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

It may have overtravelled on x, if the limit switch is not sticky. You have to remove the screws holding the sheet metal cover on the x axis motor, this will give you acess to the belt by swiveling it out of the way. pull on the belt to rotate the nut and get it off the limit. Pull downon the backside of belt IIRC will move the table to the right. move it well off the stop to make sure it is traversing in the correct direction.

Thank you all for your help with the stuck X-axis. Yesterday I disconnected the drive leads from the bottom of the X-axis motor and hooked up a couple of car batterys - was able to drive the axis well off of the limit switches. After putting the system back together it went through the axis homing process normally. I think Gus was right that the axis had over travelled. Based on George's comments it seems to be an unusual occurrance - wish I could remember the exact sequence that lead to it.

Anyway thanks again for your help,

Mark

re

If it was stuck on the limit like it overtravelled on the way to homing, it may have a bad connection on the trip dog so it either does not reverse when it hits it or it runs the wrong direction in homing, could be sporadically

It is really only two or four screws to loosen that cover, and I would much prefer that to uncontrolled current possibly blowing up an unobtanium servo amp

[did i mention I have a few spare]

Hi,

i came across this thread whilst searching for answers to a problem that i have.

I am using a Bridgeport Interact Series 1, with a Heidenhain 145 control.

The machine is new to me so im not very confident on it yet. I have managed to get one job done on it and everything went ok. However today i powered it up and the Z and Y axis zeroed in ok but the X axis went in the wrong direction (at least i think it was the wrong way) and is now stuck on the limit switch and i cant move it of !!

I have tried most of the suggestions in this thread with no success, the handwheel and joystick manual control will not work even if i hold the power button in.

I tried to wind the table back manually by pulling the drive belt as described above but i cant physically move it.

I should point out that im a machinist, not a machine tool engineer so my maintainence skills are very basic. Also i should perhaps mention that the machine is in a college and hasnt been used very much for a long time.

Would really appreciate any thoughts and help for this problem.

If the axis goes in the wrong direction, it does this because it is trying to get off the switch. If the switch is stuck, it will keep on going until it hits the end and binds up.
    First, exercise the switch and see if it clicks. That would mean it is working mechanically. It may not be working electronically. Need a meter to check that.
    On the right side of your table, there is a nut that hold the table to the ball screw. Loosen that nut and it will relieve the bound up X axis, and then try and move the belt to back the table away from the end of travel. Then tighten the nut back up again.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks very much for your reply.

Will try this morning when i go in.

Thanks George,

worked a treat, didnt get a chance to do anything on it but have moved it of stops and zeroed it in.

:cheers: