585,748 active members*
3,863 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Fanuc 6t 'not ready' where to start looking
Page 1 of 3 123

Fanuc 6t 'not ready' where to start looking

Hey guys

Looking to purchase a lathe with a 6t control. The machine has been very well looked after and a mate of mine runs it occasionally at his shop. I went to view the machine one night and my mate powered up the machine earlier that day just to make sure it was good to go upon my arrival.
    When I got their he showed me around the machine opening the elect cab ( the door is interlocked) we tried to power it up and the screen lights up to 'not ready' the hyd pump doesn't start
    We checked the e stops but they were fine, opened a d closed the door again but nothing

My googling shows it seems to be a mechanical input like a limit switch or e stop circuit causing this.

Question is how to I start to fault find? Can I view the inputs to see what is causing the problem

been a while. without getting out the old books, I *think* the six series estop address is 38.4 in diagnostics (***1*****) if thats not a one, pull your prints and see what turns it on. lately Ive seen a LOT of the little brown Fuji contact blocks used on estop buttons failing to reclose after tripping...if initially before thinking about the door interlock you might have tried pushing/resetting any red buttons, might suggest a quick ohm check to be certain the contacts reclosed...cleaning the contacts on them is easy- just unsnap the block(lower ones have one screw also) remove the terminal screws fully, pull the contacts out- watch the spring/center contact dont go flying- clean the silver pads and put back together- good for a couple more decades

its odd, they always look fine, just a yellowish coating on them, just wiping them off with a coarse cloth will get back under a couple ohms, but scuffing the pads with 400 paper or even scraping lightly will put them back to 1/4 ohm or less...always thought silver never needed cleaned, but think since these switch such low current levels the 'self cleaning/do not clean' stuff is out the window

Ive seen a few older machines with shunt trips on the main three phase breakers also- be sure opening the door without the key turned didnt shut off one of your 3 phase breakers.

I am assuming that it was powered up in the usual way? IOW the machine was not reconnected for your benefit?
    The reason is that these machines are phase rotation sensitive, so keep this in mind if you to hook it up at new premises.
    I also show 38.4 as the dedicated Estop, it has an asterisk next to the designation that indicates this is active inverted state.
    Make sure you get all documentation with the machine, these have bubble memory so there is not usually a worry about memory loss when powered down for some time.
    Also the thing to check as a prevention is the servo & spindle brushes, $25 saves $2,500 in motor replacement!
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Cheers guys,

The machine was not connected up for my benefit. It has been sitting in the same spot for the last 25 odd years. These guys brought it new, it has been connected ready for work since.
    My mate has been the only one to operate it in the last 10 odd years as the control in old and no one else there can understand the control (or wants to learn). It only runs a few times a year when a certain part needs to be run. They are only replacing it as they have a new machine to replace it with y axis etc and of course the newer machines are much faster.

The elect cab was opened before we tried to turn the machine on. So would check the breaker for the 3 phase.
    Opening that cab door was the only thing that happened between it getting turned off in the morning and trying to be turned on later that day when I arrived

Tbh it actually looks like the machine was turned on earlier that day and homed and then turned off. Both axis look like they are on or very close to their home position. I read somewhere that the fanuc doesn’t like sitting on the home switches.

There is a full set of manuals with the machine. I currently have the machine manual but not the others for the control etc.

I am heading over their tomorrow to ‘do the deal’ I am not familiar with the fanuc control at all. This will be my first cnc lathe.
    I assume that even tho the control just boots up to a ‘not ready’ screen there are still ways to navigate around the control to get the that inputs screen?

cheers for the tip on the brushes and estop switch checking.. i will check and replace/repair if needed as soon as i get the machine up and running.

so i don't need to worry about batteries etc for when the machine gets powered down. don't want to loose all the paramaters.?

6-series doesn't use batteries. you should still keep a backup of the parameters because the old bubble memory cards don't last forever. you can punch out the parameters with rs232 (except the options I think) but it doesn't hurt to also write them down with old-fashioned paper and pen.
    check this thread for info on punching 6T parameters

Definately want to get a copy of the parameters
    Is there many to write down?

Can I get to the parameters with the machine in a 'not ready' state

there are not many. maybe 100 or so. because of the bubble memory it's not a priority. you should concentrate on getting it working then just punch them out. but the options you must write down because they don't punch out. from memory they are parameters 300 upwards. and maybe some low ones like 0, 1, 2, 3 etc. someone else here may know the exact numbers. but like I said get the machine working first, no need to rush on the parameter backup.

thanks guys.

loooked at the machine today. took pics of the 15 parameter screens.

i have attached a pick of the page that has parameter 38 on it.

am i in the right spot here to see if there is an active e stop or should i be in a differnt screen all together.

i suspect i am not in the right spot given it does't look like there is a 38.4 position.

what do you think.

my mate said the last thing he did was turn it on and home the machine and turn it off.

he said he has checked overtravel.

where do i go from here.

You don't want para, diagnostic screen shows the I/O
    If you have the manuals, look in the diagnostic section, the machine status is shown in 700,701 diag.
    000,639 are the I/O.
    Al.

Albert E.

the manuals are with the machine not with me.

i will see if i can get them.

is this the info i need.

assume this will show a screen with the number on it that corrospond to the input so if the bit shows say 0 and normal is 1 then if i have a 0 in the field then it is causing an issue?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIAGNOSTICS2.jpg   DIAGNOSTICS3.jpg   DIAGNOSTICS4.jpg  

press the grey DGNOS button then look at the numbers that AL wrote. then let us know what they are or take a photo of that screen....

Will do thanks

unfortunately machine was disconnected from power today so i wont be able to check anything out till it lands on my workshop floor.

I picked up the accessories yesterday inc the 3 fanuc manuals and the wiring manual. I have no idea were to even look in the wiring manual it might as well be written in Arabic

Should have the machine late next week.

Also noticed the parameters listed in the fanuc manual are nothing like what I took pics of last week

Is that normal?

parameter list in the fanuc manual is a description list. assuming the machine works the parameters in the machine are correct.
    you may have a hard copy print of the actual parameters with your documentation but that will be from the machine manufacturer not from fanuc.

Ok have been flicking through the manuals. Took a couple of pics of the info I think you guys are talking about.

Am I close?

Yes part of it, the inputs show the ones that are dedicated to certain functions.
    Al.

Albert E.

So when it has a * on the estoppel input that means its normal state will be a 1 and a 0 is 'estoppel active'?

Page 1 of 3 123